(Topic ID: 209477)

Anyone seen the show Altered Carbon? (Spoiler Alert)

By PinSinner

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinSinner
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinSinner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I have just finished watching the first season of Altered Carbon on Netflix. I didn’t know much about the show going in to it. I just wanted to watch some sci-fi, and thought I would give it a go. Well, what a pleasant surprise it turned out to be. I thought it was brilliant. I urge anyone that is a sci-fi fan to watch it.

I was very impressed by the visuals and cinematography. I am now really looking forward to reading the book that it was based on. Heavily inspired by movies like Bladerunner, and cyberpunk novels like Neuromancer and Snow Crash, the world building and the character development is excellent.

Word of warning, the show has lots full frontal nudity and graphic violence. If that doesn’t bother you, then this is an impressive show and worth your time.

Note: This thread is now open to spoilers for those that wish to discuss the show in more detail.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I wouldn't mind seeing a second season.
    There's a lot of interesting concepts that could be explored further.

Me too. Although, if they don’t do a second season, I'm satisfied with the conclusion.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Yeah, finished it in like 3 days. Wish they did a second season. My question is more what else is there to watch that is worthy?

Have you seen The Expanse. If you're a sci fi fan, then it's a must watch.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

I'm going on Ep3 of Altered Carbon. Seems fairly well written so far.
    Dark Matter was a little more fluff than I'd like but passed for casual watchability.

Yeah, I enjoy Dark Matter.

Altered Carbon is next level though when it comes to production quality. Apparently Netflix budget is around 8 million per episode. Money well spent if you ask me.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Did anyone watch black mirror?

No, I haven't. I just did a search and it has a good imdb score. I'll check it out.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Spoilers allowed in this thread? I just finished it. Have an opinion and some questions.

Okay. I think I will add a spoiler alert to the thread title. Open for discussion. Fire away.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

What’s the main theme? Diamond production?

No, it’s not about diamond production...lol...Here is a cut and paste of the synopsis:

More than 300 years in the future, society has been transformed by new technology, leading to human bodies being interchangeable and death no longer being permanent. Takeshi Kovacs is the only surviving soldier of a group of elite interstellar warriors who were defeated in an uprising against the new world order. His mind was imprisoned for centuries until impossibly wealthy businessman Laurens Bancroft offers him the chance to live again. Kovacs will have to do something for Bancroft, though, if he wants to be resurrected. Bancroft's request of Kovacs is to solve a murder -- Bancroft's. "Altered Carbon" is based on Richard K. Morgan's cyberpunk noir novel of the same name.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from alexred:

I definitely recommend the books. I thought the netflix series moved a bit slow at the beginning, but it is still a fun watch. Lots of completely different stories in the book series to make for future seasons.

I looking forward to reading the books now. I hope they do make a second season. Good to hear that they have lots of good source material.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

All the books are excellent. But skip anything else by the same author (Richard Morgan), the non-Envoy books are terrible.

Thanks . I think i might try them in audio. I love a good audio book and I can get an hour per day of a novel when driving to and from work.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinSinner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-seen-altered-carbon?tu=PinSinner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.