(Topic ID: 75414)

Anyone running new Swemmer boards in their Gottlieb ?

By Tokkentakker

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221127_170524_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_5279 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5278 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5277 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180107_134942250 (resized).jpg
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago

I don't think that logo is such a 'bright' idea. He has something like 20 LEDs total on that board. If each uses a nominal 10mA then just the LED's require about a 10% increase in current from an already overloaded Gottlieb power supply.

2 months later
    #52 7 years ago

I created a facebook page for products available from Swemmer Electronics.

Look here: https://www.facebook.com/fred.gottlieb.543

It is not complete yet but will make more pictures available as I go.
    For pricing, just ask in the 'chat' option from Facebook.
    Many persons/companies ask me to distribute these products.
    Stop asking, I do this for a hobby and the little profit made stays with Fred to finance new products and buy parts.
    I buy everything in advance, which cost A LOT, and I will refuse to give up my hours of work to some distributor.
    There is 1 distributor who sells my products, and hear this: to provide product it sucks up all my free time.
    (Not too many people understand this.)

I am still having fun building all these units and help out where I can but please remember:
    My operation concerns CIRCUIT BOARDS and not being a Pinball Technician.
    Want to thank you all for your support, comments and suggestions.

Fred Swemmer

#53 7 years ago

Hello Pinballers,

The open spot (optional) 1F/5.5v BAT location is ONLY populated for when an old 5101 is installed.
    NVRAM does NOT need this cap. or battery for backup power.
    All you people are smart and I should be able to assume you could figure that out on your own.

#54 7 years ago

It's better to set up a facebook page (designed for a business or organization), rather than an facebook account (designed for an individual person).

https://www.facebook.com/pages/create/

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fretto1:

I am still having fun building all these units and help out where I can but please remember:
    My operation concerns CIRCUIT BOARDS and not being a Pinball Technician.

I like the fact that we have options these days for new Gottieb boards and I hope you do not get burned out making boards for our games.

#56 7 years ago

I absolutely love your replacement boards. About to order a few for my newly aquire Black Hole. Thanks for all you do for us.

1 week later
    #57 7 years ago

I have a genesis pin bought the swemmer mpu c/w genesis game proms, and the ni wumpf driver board with all the ground mods done it would not boot up, the lights came on but no one was home. ended up putting back the gottlieb oem driver board and it booted up, but with sound issues, the game plays for the first ball properly or at least for a minute. then the music if you call it that drops out and all that's left are the game sounds from the bumpers rollovers etc. but it still plays does anyone have any ideas, I am thinking the 3 sound proms need to be replaced. please get back to me before I spend too much on this pin

#58 7 years ago

Bought a Swemmer board for my Genesis pin I like the lay out the looks the all the leds kind a makes ya feel a little better about the amount of money you spent on a piece of cardboard and plastic. It runs the game sweet doesn't appear to have any scoring stalls or communication issues with the driver board I am very pleased, and will be putting one into my Robo war as soon as I find one, seems all are out of stock. I only have one issue and I don't know if its the swemmer board or not but my sound board has issues at first boot up it works great, then after about a minute or after the first ball is lost I loose the music if you call it that, but still have the game sounds from the roll overs the bumpers, ramps but no back ground music or sounds, so I moved my robo war oem board into the genesis machine to see if it was a board issue not a change. now the stupid part, I put the one robo war game prom in wrong and cooked it so my favorite machine is dead, oh well now I have to fine game proms any help would be appreciated

3 weeks later
    #59 7 years ago

Seems like I am having the same issue with two different machines while using a swemmer mpu.

Hollywood heat worked when it was setup, then a week later was plugged in and wouldnt boot. Only had the chase lights on the ramp and a few others lit.

Gold Wings worked when it was setup for a few games. Was turned off, and moved 2', wouldnt boot, had the same chase lights and no boot.

We replaced the GW swemmer mpu with a stock mpu, and it booted up right away.

My question is, has any one else had similar issues with this mpu board? Seems odd that I am having seemingly the same exact issue with two different machines at two different locations.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

My question is, has any one else had similar issues with this mpu board? Seems odd that I am having seemingly the same exact issue with two different machines at two different locations.

random extreme point .. the common issue may be your eprom burner?

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

random extreme point .. the common issue may be your eprom burner?

new roms came with the boards

#62 7 years ago

new roms came with the boards

ok thats ruled that out, goodo carry on ( my swemmer board has been swapped through 10+ machines and still works great)

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

ok thats ruled that out, goodo carry on ( my swemmer board has been swapped through 10+ machines and still works great)

Damn....I wonder what the freaking deal is. So weird.

#64 7 years ago

remember ist basically a normal board.. trouble shoot it. maybe use a marco test rom. or send one back and ask fred to check it out?

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

remember ist basically a normal board.. trouble shoot it. maybe use a marco test rom. or send one back and ask fred to check it out?

Ya thats what the guy who came by said last night. Pretty much a copy of the Gottlieb board. Thanks

#66 7 years ago

ask Fretto1 hes a good guy.

#67 7 years ago

Have you checked the voltage coming int the board?

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from crlush:

Have you checked the voltage coming int the board?

Yes, it was low, and we adjusted to 5v. No change on swemmer. Stock MPU popped in and booted right away.

#69 7 years ago

A bad RIOT can cause booting issues also random lockups

#70 7 years ago

My question is, has any one else had similar issues with this mpu board?

How long ago did you get the MPU (or how old is the board)? He was including both an NVRAM and a memory capacitor on earlier boards - that cap should be removed, if present.

3 months later
    #71 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's better to set up a facebook page (designed for a business or organization), rather than an facebook account (designed for an individual person).
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/create/

I took the facebook page down, since someone had the brilliant idea to report my page.
    (Thank you Moderatorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!)
    I am NOT an organization or a business but thank you for having my infopage suspended.
    Don't like Fecesbook anyway.
    Have a great day, people. ;p ;p

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fretto1:

Have a great day, people. ;p ;p

Don't you tell me what kind of day to have!

3 weeks later
    #73 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Don't you tell me what kind of day to have!

I'm sorry you're having a bad one.
    Get some fresh air; it will do you a lot of good.

4 months later
    #74 6 years ago

So, is this thread the Swemmer fan club?

IMG_20180107_134942250 (resized).jpgIMG_20180107_134942250 (resized).jpg

This is my first Black Hole. My first System 80. My first Swemmer boards. Now, I'm a fan of all three!

I'm sitting here watching this with the back open, in attract mode. Listening to the gentle click of the under-playfield relay. The PS board has a chaser light behind the SWEMMER ELECTRONICS text. I have to admit, I'm hypnotized by it.

It needs a few more things, but for now it is playable, and a heck of a lot of fun. Electronically speaking, it's been solid.

-dave

#75 6 years ago

Thank you to the person responsible for making these boards!

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from rufessor:

Thank you to the person responsible for making these boards!

Fretto1 is the man

9 months later
    #77 5 years ago

Are there any manuals available for these boards?

#78 5 years ago

Installed a Swemmer MPU in a Spirit. Its booting but no sound and it won't add credits. There was one connector that was on the Rottendog i tried but its not labeled where to put it on the new board.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Are there any manuals available for these boards?

No manual or schematic that I know of.

Quoted from PACMAN:

There was one connector that was on the Rottendog i tried but its not labeled where to put it on the new board.

Maybe post a pic so we can help.
    -Mike

#80 5 years ago

Got sound now. Just no credit display and it won't start a game.

With no manual, how can you tell what all the LEDs mean?

IMG_5277 (resized).jpgIMG_5277 (resized).jpgIMG_5278 (resized).jpgIMG_5278 (resized).jpgIMG_5279 (resized).jpgIMG_5279 (resized).jpg
    #81 5 years ago

Keith from Ks Arcade is really great about answering email questions in detail on these boards. I have one in TX Sector and in Barracora and love both of them.

#82 5 years ago

The leds mean that circut or chip has power going out of it successfully.
    -Mike

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

The leds mean that circut or chip has power going out of it successfully.
    -Mike

Yes, but is the orange one supposed to be orange? What do the Xs mean on the tic tac toe section? etc.

The boards either come with no documentation (which is a bit weird) or the documentation was lost. In either case, there's definitely nothing online to help (which is a bit surprising).

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from jay:

Yes, but is the orange one supposed to be orange? What do the Xs mean on the tic tac toe section? etc.

Orange=yes .Fred did not use leds that change color, so either it's lit a color or not. The tic tac toe section means nothing at all. Fred explained that in one of his youtube videos.
    Here is one of Fred's videos.

-Mike

9 months later
    #85 4 years ago

I have a swemmer board in my Gottlieb Arena (system 80B). I want to try and use it in a Volcano (system 80). I know I need to burn the Volcano Rom which I can do. But what do I put in the U2 U3 slot in the swemmer board? I found in some pics of a swemmer board in a Haunted House that their particular U2/U3 chip says "GTB System 80 U2 U3 combo" on the label. Where do I get this file to burn? Does anyone in here know and ore could point me to a link. Thanks in advance!

1 year later
    #86 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gotpins:

I have a swemmer board in my Gottlieb Arena (system 80B). I want to try and use it in a Volcano (system 80). I know I need to burn the Volcano Rom which I can do. But what do I put in the U2 U3 slot in the swemmer board? I found in some pics of a swemmer board in a Haunted House that their particular U2/U3 chip says "GTB System 80 U2 U3 combo" on the label. Where do I get this file to burn? Does anyone in here know and ore could point me to a link. Thanks in advance!

I sell the only licensed Gottlieb code, and as such can help you with your U2/U3 needs and game ROM etc.

John :-#)#
    flippers.com

1 week later
    #87 3 years ago

I find it difficult to follow the LEDs personally, not sure that they are helping me to identify problems. I have had two instances where an LED died and had to be replaced for the coil to work, does this make sense? Are the LEDs inline such that they must be functional or installed for the circuit to be complete? Would anyone happen to know this?

Thank you.

10 months later
    #88 2 years ago

Is there Swemmer boards on the market? I haven't seen any at all on Ebay or his own site.

#89 2 years ago

K's Arcade normally sold Swemmer boards. Sold out of Gottlieb MPU and sound boards a while back.

https://ksarcade.net/new-used-pinball-boards-parts/swemmer-electronics-products.html

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from dnaman:

I find it difficult to follow the LEDs personally, not sure that they are helping me to identify problems. I have had two instances where an LED died and had to be replaced for the coil to work, does this make sense? Are the LEDs inline such that they must be functional or installed for the circuit to be complete? Would anyone happen to know this?
    Thank you.

Not this specific board but I have seen a replacement where voltage flowing through an unlit LED is being used like a pull up resistor. Without the LED in circuit the chip input would be high Z when expected to be logic high.

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

K's Arcade normally sold Swemmer boards. Sold out of Gottlieb MPU and sound boards a while back.
    https://ksarcade.net/new-used-pinball-boards-parts/swemmer-electronics-products.html

Yes Thanks. I knew about K's Arcade but there is nothing left.

1 year later
    #92 1 year ago

Swemmer boards are available on Ebay again.

20221127_170524_HDR (resized).jpg20221127_170524_HDR (resized).jpg
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-running-new-swemmer-boards-in-their-gottlieb/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.