8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by PinballManiac40
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 months ago

I tried to search but could not find anyone who works on these boards. I hooked up a Shaker motor on my TWD incorrectly and fried something. It would not run at all so I replaced the Power supply board and everything started working fine again. but then that big code drop came and I went to update the code. and the game wont allow it, it just freezes, when at the beginning when the game tries to switch from the game to going to download. I have tried the board in another Walking dead and the problem follows the board.
    The board is $600. I was hoping I could get it repaired for half that, including shipping.... is that possible?

#2 8 months ago

So the game works fine but you just can't update code? Maybe just a boot rom issue if you're lucky?

#3 8 months ago

Hmmmm.... ya think? Would you get one of those roms from GPE?

#4 8 months ago

Try a new USB stick, make sure the format is correct and redownload the code.

#5 8 months ago

Also make sure your dipswitches are correct.

Basically do everything again but better lol

#6 8 months ago

Lol I have tried 10 USB sticks. I have also used those same USB sticks to update the code using the exact same method in another TWD. That’s how I pinpointed it to being a bad issue and something being wrong with the board

#7 8 months ago

Clive at the coinop cauldron does amazing work. I would highly recommend him if you’re still in need

#8 8 months ago

I believe TWD uses the same boot rom as Met which I do have. I will verify and see if I have a blank eprom of correct size.

#9 8 months ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Clive at the coinop cauldron does amazing work. I would highly recommend him if you’re still in need

Cool thanks. I will get in contact with him

#10 8 months ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I believe TWD uses the same boot rom as Met which I do have. I will verify and see if I have a blank eprom of correct size.

Oh snap.... you have a spare boot rom?

#11 8 months ago
    Quoted from toasterman04:

Oh snap.... you have a spare boot rom?

I dumped my bootrom so I have the file, but I just checked my parts stash and don't have any 8Mbit eproms on hand. Do you have anybody nearby that can burn roms? I can post the file if needed.

What you need is the V1.0 boot rom

#12 8 months ago

I dumped my bootrom so I have the file, but I just checked my parts stash and don't have any 8Mbit eproms on hand. Do you have anybody nearby that can burn roms? I can post the file if needed.

I will ask.... thanks for your help!

#13 8 months ago

I tried to search but could not find anyone who works on these boards. I hooked up a Shaker motor on my TWD incorrectly and fried something. It would not run at all so I replaced the Power supply board and everything started working fine again. but then that big code drop came and I went to update the code. and the game wont allow it, it just freezes, when at the beginning when the game tries to switch from the game to going to download. I have tried the board in another Walking dead and the problem follows the board.
    The board is $600. I was hoping I could get it repaired for half that, including shipping.... is that possible?

Our AC/DC LE just died in a similar way, though we weren't hooking anything up - it just quit working. Game stopped being able to boot, but it WILL go into update mode, so I thought I'd just reflash it. Unfortunately, but throws an Error 8 at the very end of the flash process regardless of the image (redownloaded) or the USB (tried a few). Chas says it's probably a $150 Stern repair or swap through the distributor, which is what we're doing next week.

#14 8 months ago

So I texted a local and he says he can burn EPROMs. He asked me what size of eprom? I have no idea what he is asking

#15 8 months ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Our AC/DC LE just died in a similar way, though we weren't hooking anything up - it just quit working. Game stopped being able to boot, but it WILL go into update mode, so I thought I'd just reflash it. Unfortunately, but throws an Error 8 at the very end of the flash process regardless of the image (redownloaded) or the USB (tried a few). Chas says it's probably a $150 Stern repair or swap through the distributor, which is what we're doing next week.

Who is chas? And your swapping a broken board for a good board thru the distributor you bought the game from? I bought this game second hand so don’t really have any distributor support... and especially not where I live.

#16 8 months ago

Stern tech support.

#17 8 months ago

Rob Anthony lockwhenlit

#18 8 months ago

So I texted a local and he says he can burn EPROMs. He asked me what size of eprom? I have no idea what he is asking

8 megabit

#19 8 months ago

Thanks. I will try this first as anything local is easiest

#20 8 months ago
    Quoted from blowback1976:

Stern tech support.

Ok if changing the rom doesn’t work I will contact them. Thanks tony.

#21 8 months ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Rob Anthony lockwhenlit

Rob Anthony does board repair?

#22 8 months ago

Rob Anthony does board repair?

One of the best

#23 8 months ago

Is it a 27C801? My local guy is asking

#24 8 months ago

27C801 will work

#25 8 months ago

Cool... thanks so much for your help

#26 8 months ago

Here is the v1.0 bootrom file. This works with Met and TWD (both have 128M flash memory on the CPU board)

http://www.filedropper.com/metpinballbootv10

#27 8 months ago

Here is the v1.0 bootrom file. This works with Met and TWD (both have 128M flash memory on the CPU board)

awesome thank you so much

2 weeks later
    #28 7 months ago

For the record on our case...we got our AC/DC LE CPU board that wouldn't boot (except in upgrade mode) and wouldn't flash the rom (Error 8 at the very end). Cost $150 to have it repaired at Stern, as Chas at Stern estimated. We did it through our usual distributor, even though this specific machine was purchased 2nd hand. Took about a week total.

#29 7 months ago

WOW IT WORKED!! I had a local guy burn a new chip, I installed it and now the game will update the new code! Oh man so happy of the out come thank you so much help S&S. I will donate to pinside for all the help. THANK YOU PINSIDE!

#30 7 months ago

WOW IT WORKED!! I had a local guy burn a new chip, I installed it and now the game will update the new code! Oh man so happy of the out come thank you so much help S&S. I will donate to pinside for all the help. THANK YOU PINSIDE!

That is great. Did Stern charge you a test or repair fee even though it returned not working?

#31 7 months ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

That is great. Did Stern charge you a test or repair fee even though it returned not working?

i think you are confused. I never shipped the board back to Stern. Snakesandsparklers sent me the file to put on a new chip that he said is probably corrupt. I had a local guy burn that file onto a new chip and then I installed it.

#32 7 months ago

Shoot. You are right. I mixed this thread with one about a Kiss CPU node spike failure.

Apologies. Carry on. Play ball !!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.99
    Playfield - Other
    Lee's Parts
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 119.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 20.00
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Star Wars Premium Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8.95
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside