(Topic ID: 265643)

Anyone remember these 8.5 by 11 inch playfield protector sheets?

By RoyGBev

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

91067325_209551837040325_931105217070497792_n (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Bought a Centaur back in 2011, just before prices exploded. I was going to install my CPR PF and completely restore it. But when I got the game, the original PF had thick mylar installed - not day one mylar but it looked like it was installed just before serious insert wear started to happen. Removed it with freeze spray, and the result was a mostly intact center area with the bonus numbers worn off the 20, 40, and 60. But I thought, "this playfield is too nice to replace. I'll keep this game the way it is and find a trashed one for my CPR playfield."

I bought two things: Some insert decals from I think Arcade Classics, maybe? And some 8.5 by 11 sheets of thin, semi-glossy plastic from a vendor, don't remember which. Installed the decals, then took a sheet of the plastic and trimmed it so it fit over the slingshot area, and cut the top into a circle so it just covers the bonus inserts. If you look closely at the pic you can see the edges of it.

The plastic is so thin I thought, "this will wear through in a few years." But we've played probably 5000 games on this pin over nine years, and it's still holding up. I don't think it slows the ball down the way glossy mylar does.

I haven't tried to remove it yet, haven't had a reason to. My friends and I play the hell out of it and I don't worry about the middle part wearing any more.

So here's my question: What is this stuff, and what's wrong with it? It seems to work well for me. And I think it's a standard office supply item.

Michael Beverly
    91067325_209551837040325_931105217070497792_n (resized).jpg91067325_209551837040325_931105217070497792_n (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-remember-these-85-by-11-inch-playfield-protector-sheets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.