(Topic ID: 187655)

Anyone Remember Just For Fun Arcade In Arlington Heights, IL??

By PAPPYBALL

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Schusler
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TownAndCountry (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

Growing up my home arcade here in Arlington Heights, IL was "JUST FOR FUN" in the now defunct Town & Country Mall. I remember it well but seem to not have any pictures or anything. There is only the occasional blurb here and there on deadmalls and so on but no information, pictures, etc....

Anyone else in the area remember Just For Fun besides me? I found one picture online of the old entrance to the Town & Country Mall. Straight back was the theater, just before the theater was Just For Fun, and to the right of that entrance was the Garibaldi's Pizza.

Who else remembers Just For Fun???

-AJH

TownAndCountry (resized).jpgTownAndCountry (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

My local mall (Western Mass) had one called Just Fun. Maybe they were franchised?

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

My local mall (Western Mass) had one called Just Fun. Maybe they were franchised?

Possible.

This was always a pretty good arcade. I think it was gone by like 1999 but they hung on to the old school arcade way of things. They never went all redemption or anything. Like all good 80's arcades they had plenty of ways to win tickets and the dude at the prize counter of course. But, they always lots of good arcade games and they were very pinball heavy. They always had the newest pins. I remember playing everything there. Whirlwind, Stargate, Safe Cracker, Medieval Madness, Mario Brothers, Monster Bash, Attack From Mars, Addams Family, Theater Of Magic, White Water, Funhouse, Cirqus Voltaire, Getaway, Taxi, No Good Gofers, Teed Off, Road Show, Fish Tales, Congo, World Cup Soccer, Champion Pub, Doctor Who, Batman Forever, Junk Yard, Diner, No Fear, Apollo 13, Dr. Dude, Game Show, Jokerz, Badcats, The Simpsons, and more. They usually had about 10 pinball machines at any one time.

#4 6 years ago

I remember falling in love with Discs of Tron there. There was also another arcade just NW of there on Rand. It was across the street from where Burlington Coat Factory is. Played a Zaccaria Time Machine there.

#5 6 years ago

LOL. Yep, used to spend time there, and at their movie theater, and Garibaldis. Went to school at PHS.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I remember falling in love with Discs of Tron there. There was also another arcade just NW of there on Rand. It was across the street from where Burlington Coat Factory is. Played a Zaccaria Time Machine there.

I don't remember the arcade across from Burlington Coat Factory at all! How long ago was that one? You remember what it was called? I remember before it was all developed with the Trader Joes and the Barnes & Noble Etc... That there was some old motel there and don't remember what else, I thought nothing, like just overgrown lots.

#7 6 years ago

I had a "rich" aunt who lived up there (south siders, anybody who lived north was rich lol) and we went to the arcade at that mall back in the day. I assume that was it, 1983 or 1984? Does that sound right?

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_M:

LOL. Yep, used to spend time there, and at their movie theater, and Garibaldis. Went to school at PHS.

I remember only seeing the occasional movie there. Was in Just For Fun all the time! Garibaldi's if it was a birthday or after little league. That Garibaldi's was the best, they had the viewing window where you could watch the pizza guy spinning and throwing the dough in the air. Oh and can't forget about Service Merchandise on the end of that mall!

Same here on PHS, graduated 98'

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I had a "rich" aunt who lived up there (south siders, anybody who lived north was rich lol) and we went to the arcade at that mall back in the day. I assume that was it, 1983 or 1984? Does that sound right?

100%! It opened in like 81.

#10 6 years ago

Just for Fun and Garibaldi's for sure!

I didn't make it there as much because Gala Bowling Alley (which was just torn down ) had Galaxy World and it was just down Rt. 64. Although Galaxy world had many more video games than pinballs. They usually had about 6 pinballs it seemed.

#11 6 years ago

Near the Rand & Dundee radius was, Games America, Galaxy Gameroom, Nucio's. Sometime from 80-85. Games America was the only one with pins as I recall. Harlem and Foster in Chicago had a Just for Fun.

#12 6 years ago

This was my arcade. I loved it. It had these Star Wars like oval windows and tons of rad games. I was recently looking to see if I could find some tokens from this place.

That T&C picture is from the 90's update. There was alse a Gamer's Paradise there where we would get NES games, and weird bootleg NES controllers.

#13 6 years ago

If I remember correctly they were a test location for B/W. I think that is where I played RFM on test.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from fuseholder:

Near the Rand & Dundee radius was, Games America, Galaxy Gameroom, Nucio's. Sometime from 80-85. Games America was the only one with pins as I recall. Harlem and Foster in Chicago had a Just for Fun.

80 to 85 I would not remember. Born in 80 so my first memories of Just For Fun was like first grade 87. I had like every birthday from 2nd grade on there so 88 to 93 was my hay day and still went through high school until they closed in I think 99?

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from sixtybones:

This was my arcade. I loved it. It had these Star Wars like oval windows and tons of rad games. I was recently looking to see if I could find some tokens from this place.
    That T&C picture is from the 90's update. There was alse a Gamer's Paradise there where we would get NES games, and weird bootleg NES controllers.

Totally remember those bubble windows. Pins were always right up front and to the left, prize counter to the right. So many vids throughout. Couple air hockey in the middle, skee ball along the side toward the back.

I remember the Gamer's Paradise and the ice cream place. Radio Shack was in there too!

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from finman2000:

If I remember correctly they were a test location for B/W. I think that is where I played RFM on test.

Well I do remember very clearly that they always had the newest and best pins as soon as they came out and I remember them always being Bally/Williams heavy on pins. I can remembered playing Safe Cracker and Medieval Madness when they VERY FIRST came out.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from PAPPYBALL:

I don't remember the arcade across from Burlington Coat Factory at all! How long ago was that one? You remember what it was called? I remember before it was all developed with the Trader Joes and the Barnes & Noble Etc... That there was some old motel there and don't remember what else, I thought nothing, like just overgrown lots.

It was a couple of buildings to the left of the Car Wash. They always had tons of cocktail arcade games in the center. I remember it well because my Mom always shopped at that Marshall's that used to be there and I would bug here for a couple of bucks, cross Rand and hit that arcade. It wasn't there long, the location was terrible.

#18 6 years ago

My brother and I used to sneak across Palatine Rd in the summers to play during the day (we weren't allowed to).

I remember getting busted after my mom saw me walking home with an ice cream cone from Garibaldi's in my hand.

Most of my allowance went there every week. The tech there when I was little actually works with me at Raw Thrills now as one of our Producers.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

It was a couple of buildings to the left of the Car Wash. They always had tons of cocktail arcade games in the center. I remember it well because my Mom always shopped at that Marshall's that used to be there and I would bug here for a couple of bucks, cross Rand and hit that arcade. It wasn't there long, the location was terrible.

Boy my memory is not good on this one. I don't remember the car wash. So we are talking south of Rand and West of Arlington Heights Road? I am thinking you're talking about where the Binny's is right now.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

My brother and I used to sneak across Palatine Rd in the summers to play during the day (we weren't allowed to).
    I remember getting busted after my mom saw me walking home with an ice cream cone from Garibaldi's in my hand.
    Most of my allowance went there every week. The tech there when I was little actually works with me at Raw Thrills now as one of our Producers.

That is awesome! Did you live north of rand then?

My cousin works at Raw! (Pat L)

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from PAPPYBALL:

That is awesome! Did you live north of rand then?
    My cousin works at Raw! (Pat L)

Yep, grew up on Pinetree.

Love Pat! I bug him at least 3 times a day ... Every day!

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from PAPPYBALL:

Boy my memory is not good on this one. I don't remember the car wash. So we are talking south of Rand and East of Arlington Heights Road? I am thinking you're talking about where the Binny's is right now?

NW of Arl Hts Rd & Rand. Car Wash is still there. Building might be a mattress store now.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Yep, grew up on Pinetree.
    Love Pat! I bug him at least 3 times a day ... Every day!

Hahahahahaha that is awesome! Bug him all day Monday for me! Tell him Anthony is going to drop off his Cruis'n for Eugene to fix. Needs a cap kit.

Oh man Pinetree! You still over there? You got to grow up right by pinball royalty!!!! I assume you know who. (If not PM me. I know they are sorta private.)

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

NW of Arl Hts Rd & Rand. Car Wash is still there. Building might be a mattress store now.

OHHHH OK now I know where you are talking. That's a tad farther west. I was thinking literally at the intersection.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from PAPPYBALL:

Hahahahahaha that is awesome! Bug him all day Monday for me! Tell him Anthony is going to drop off his Cruis'n for Eugene to fix. Needs a cap kit.
    Oh man Pinetree! You still over there? You got to grow up right by pinball royalty!!!! I assume you know who. (If not PM me. I know they are sorta private.)

My parents still live in the same house.

I slept one room over from pinball royalty my whole life (with too many years of sneaking into his bed in the middle of the night)

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

My parents still live in the same house.
    I slept one room over from pinball royalty my whole life (with too many years of sneaking into his bed in the middle of the night)

I have now added this up!

#27 6 years ago

I used to live by that area (Arlington Heights) a couple of years ago. When I got there... most of the mall stores already closed shop - looked like a ghost town.

I recall going to Just for Fun at a mall in the Lombard area. Many games of Taito Gladiator being played there.

#28 6 years ago

I remember that arcade and eating at Garibaldi's. Played NBA Fastbreak first time there. Didn't it close ~10-12 years ago?

I live like 5 minutes from that mall now. I used to hang in a different area growing up - Norridge. I went to Just Games, Aladdins Castle, Axel Roller Rink, Dennis's (Cumberland/Lawrence), and a handful of bowling alleys to get my fix.

I miss those places.

#29 6 years ago

ifpapinball are you the guy I bought my RFM from years ago? Designed gun for Raw Thrills Terminator?

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from PAPPYBALL:

Same here on PHS, graduated 98'

94, small world.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

ifpapinball are you the guy I bought my RFM from years ago? Designed gun for Raw Thrills Terminator?

Nope, that was Bob Yoest (mechanical engineer).

I'm Josh Sharpe. I hand Bob his paycheck every two weeks

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Nope, that was Bob Yoest (mechanical engineer).
    I'm Josh Sharpe. I hand Bob his paycheck every two weeks

LOL That's him, Bob. Solid guy.

I recognize your name, though don't think I've had the pleasure of meeting you in person. I hear your pretty good at pinball.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

I remember that arcade and eating at Garibaldi's. Played NBA Fastbreak first time there. Didn't it close ~10-12 years ago?
    I live like 5 minutes from that mall now. I used to hang in a different area growing up - Norridge. I went to Just Games, Aladdins Castle, Axel Roller Rink, Dennis's (Cumberland/Lawrence), and a handful of bowling alleys to get my fix.
    I miss those places.

I remember playing Fastbreak there too! They had 2 machines linked with the topper and everything. I think later on they went down to one Fastbreak.

My last memories of Just For Fun being open was like 99/2000. Could have been there longer though. I remember the movie theater closed first. And by that time the rest of the mall was dead. I THINK Garibaldi's was the last thing to go then it all sat for a few years before they revamped it with the new outdoor only layout and the bigger stores.

2 years later
    #34 4 years ago

I'm going to head out to Town & Country Mall. I plan on stopping first at Garabaldi's for a pizza burger and Italian ice lemonade... then stop in a Gamer's Paradise and pick up Telengard (on cassette) for my Atari 800. Then I'll go to Service Merchandise and peruse the electronics in the back... maybe play with the synthesizers on display. Then head over to the Just For Fun arcade and play some Berzerk. Finally, I'll head into the theater there and watch Krull.

#35 4 years ago

Mall in the 80's was an entertainment extravaganza for sure. Mine also had several computer outlets and displays even in department stores. I used to program easter egg bombs on them. Crank the volume way up, show a title screen, like "Press <Spacebar> to play Zaxxon", and then when an unsuspecting kid walked up and hit it, BOOM! speaker blows up.

I lived in Arlington Heights in late 90's early 00's and there was still an 80's style arcade quite a ways north or northwest, I think I traveled along Rand to get there. One of my local friends took me to a lake/beach out that direction and we stopped and saw the arcade on the way. It also had an attached ice-cream window with a large assortment of exotic ice creams. I tried to find it a couple years after that stop and never could. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It so bugged me when I couldn't find it again like I dreamed it.

I just caught the Long Grove strawberry festival featured on a food TV show, made me "homesick" for the area and all the neighborhood festivals.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I lived in Arlington Heights in late 90's early 00's and there was still an 80's style arcade quite a ways north or northwest, I think I traveled along Rand to get there. One of my local friends took me to a lake/beach out that direction and we stopped and saw the arcade on the way. It also had an attached ice-cream window with a large assortment of exotic ice creams. I tried to find it a couple years after that stop and never could. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It so bugged me when I couldn't find it again like I dreamed it.

I'll bet you are thinking about the arcade named Gameland that was in Lake Geneva, WI. It had an ice cream shop attached to it. If you took Rand (Route 12) then that makes sense as that road runs right through Lake Geneva.

It closed down a long time ago... but it did have a lot of video games and a row of pinball machines.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/neopsychedelia/2262385640

#37 4 years ago

That adds up, that must be it! Thanks, I knew I didn't dream it! I remember googling for all kinds of things and just couldn't find it, but I was likely not looking far enough away.

Wish I had taken advantage of living in pinball central while I was out there, but never even occurred to me to own machines at that time.

2 years later
    #38 2 years ago

I know this post is ancient, but there really isn't any info anywhere on "just for fun" in T&C.

I contacted the historical society and did a million searches. If anyone has a photo of this arcade, I would love to hang it in my arcade. I thought it would be worth a try to ask here.

#39 2 years ago

Holyoke Mall in Massachusetts had a Just Fun arcade, '80s through the early '90s. Not Just For Fun, Just Fun. I thought maybe it was a mall franchise. Or not. Got my fix of 1942/1943 arcade video games there at the time.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from sixtybones:

I know this post is ancient, but there really isn't any info anywhere on "just for fun" in T&C.
    I contacted the historical society and did a million searches. If anyone has a photo of this arcade, I would love to hang it in my arcade. I thought it would be worth a try to ask here.

Just for Fun wasn't in Town & Country . It was in an independent building on Rand Rd, across from Burlington Coat Factory, right next to the tunnel car wash.

Added over 3 years ago:

My bad, it WAS Just For Fun in the mall. Now I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the independent arcade across from Burlington Coat Factory!

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Just for Fun wasn't in Town & Country . It was in an independent building on Rand Rd, across from Burlington Coat Factory, right next to the tunnel car wash.

The arcade in Town & Country Mall... right next to the theater... wasn't that called Just For Fun?

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from ChadH:

The arcade in Town & Country Mall... right next to the theater... wasn't that called Just For Fun?

Yes it was. Test site for B/W.

2 months later
    #43 2 years ago

Played there all the time, in grade school had birthday parties there. Killer ticket/prize counter. Always trying for the Boom Box.... never got it though. Usually best we could do was the switch blade comb.

#44 2 years ago

Any of you go to Pin Pan Alley in Arlington Hts?

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from finman2000:

Yes it was. Test site for B/W.

I suspected that was the case. I remember when Medieval Madness showed up, as well as NBA Fast Break.

1 week later
    #46 2 years ago
    Quoted from mjenison:

I suspected that was the case. I remember when Medieval Madness showed up, as well as NBA Fast Break.

Same! I remember being totally blown away by MM. If I am remembering correctly the fast break they had was the 2 linked machines set up with the topper and everything.

I remember playing so many amazing titles there. AF, MM, Junk Yard, TOM, TZ, so many others.

In retrospect I probably didn't go there enough!

#47 2 years ago

I lived in the Arlington Heights area for a few years in the late '90s - early 2ks. At that time, T&C mall was in it's death throes. Thought there was a small arcade in Randhurst Mall too???

Obviously I don't recall this particular Just for Fun since the mall's demise, but there was a Just For Fun located at a mall in Villa Park/Lombard area. I don't recall pins there... someone mentioned Gottlieb used to test their arcade equipment at this particular location at one time.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-remember-just-for-fun-arcade-in-arlington-heights-il and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.