1.jpg
Space Train.jpg
space panther.jpg
Flyer rear detail.jpg
Flyer detail.jpg
Flyer.jpg
Space Panther backglass.jpg

#1 7 years ago

There's a game for sale with a photo of this playfield... I've never seen this one before!! The confusing thing is that the backglass is from Mac Jungle, but this playfield is NOT Mac Jungle... I've written to the seller, but to be honest I've a feeling that he also doesn't know what he's got!

It could be a re-themed playfield (the artwork is certainly not 'pinball'), so maybe just the playfield layout will be only clue as to what the playfield is...

It's certainly baffling me!!

Anyone out there know what this is????

Mystery playfield.jpg
#2 7 years ago

lol, Pinslave you always find the weirdest/coolest odd pins!

#3 7 years ago

Those habit trails run off the edge of the playfield and basically go no where. Hmmm.....

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi
269-979-3836

#4 7 years ago

Right side feeds into shooter lane and left side has a road kings-like 180 ramp that feeds into a saucer. No clue what the layout is.

No stamps or markings on the underside?

#5 7 years ago

No, the one on the left opens enough to drop into the left saucer. The one on the right goes back to the shooter lane. This is WEIRD!

#6 7 years ago

Correction- looks like the right side must feed into another saucer, the wires open up at the end. The pop bumper and rubber layout looks very bally to me. Very strange machine....

#7 7 years ago

All I know is that it makes me hungry.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from r6emperor:

Correction- looks like the right side must feed into another saucer, the wires open up at the end. The pop bumper and rubber layout looks very bally to me. Very strange machine....

Yes, I think you're right... both wireforms open up at the end so that the ball drops down into something...

Here's another shot of the playfield...

Looking at the edge of the artwork around the bonus lights it looks like it's been re-artworked, but they certainly did a good job of it looking at the matching plastic set!

No idea what this is a re-theme of though, if it is one!

Mystery playfield 2.jpg
#9 7 years ago

Looks like Bally flippers and Bally faceted posts.

-Jim

#10 7 years ago

Hi Lee,

That is indeed a MAC Jungle, just not the version from '86. It's from '95:

http://pinballspain.comyr.com/proyecto1/petacos_tabview.php?ID=191

#11 7 years ago

Good dig Matt.

Steve

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I've never seen this one before!!

Hey Lee, did you buy it yet? I want to hear the speech package in it.

Here's another pic of the playfield from my files.
mac jungle.jpg

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

That is indeed a MAC Jungle, just not the version from '86. It's from '95:

Damn, you're good... how the heck I missed that one is a mystery to me, especially since I already had the name!!

What's very odd about this particular game is that the backglass is all messed up, but it turns out actually has the correct game name... have a look:

It's actually a mix of the earlier MAC Jungle background and Space Panther foreground!! Looks better than the MAC Jungle that actually should be in there though... just! What a bizarre game the latter one is... Why it would have the same name as the earlier game is baffling to say the least...

Mystery game head.jpg
#14 7 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

Hey Lee, did you buy it yet? I want to hear the speech package in it.

Not bought it... yet! The seller hasn't replied... If the price isn't too high I'll probably get it if it's working

Here's the head with the backglass that should be in it... as can be seen, it's got correct speaker/display pannel in it, just backglasses from two different games...

MAC Jungle head.jpg
#15 7 years ago

why is a game named "jungle" themed after ... hamburger ingredients?

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

why is a game named "jungle" themed after ... hamburger ingredients?

Exactly, especially when the same company already made a game with the same name some years previously!!?? Maybe it's to bypass some Spanish law... If the later game has the same name as a previous game then it's can be 'disguised' as that game and therefore avoid some tax penalty or something... who knows. but it's certainly odd!!

Here's the two backglasses that have been combined to make the glass on the game that's now for sale...

Early MAC Jungle head.jpg Space Panther backglass.jpg
#17 7 years ago

Maybe it's to bypass some Spanish law...

That's my guess too. The operators in Portugal and Spain had very strict laws for operating games. The authorities had a list of machines, and operators modified many backglasses disguising new games to avoid laws and taxes.

#18 7 years ago

It's also the first game built by that company in 8 years. Maybe they were just getting back into pinball and were testing the market. cartoon fast food, or hot leopard chick sci/fi theme? This is a weird find. I bet you buy it.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

This is a weird find. I bet you buy it.

I'll keep you posted

Bearing in mind the 'selling point' of the MAC games was the interchangeability of the playfields and backglasses to make 'new games' (with their 'multigame' system), then it's fitting that this game for sale is actually a combination of three games!! I just hope that if I do buy it that the installed ROM matches the playfield!

here's the flyer selling the 'multigame' concept:

Interesting that the backglasses all seem to have a 'double artwork' concept... I'd be surprised if the 'fast food' MAC Jungle had two backglasses though...

Flyer.jpg
#20 7 years ago

seems like an innovative idea. manufacturer could just sell conversion kits consisting of the translite, rom, and playfield instead of a new 300 pound complete game. customers would see a brand new game. seems like it could have been an attractive proposition to an op.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

customers would see a brand new game. seems like it could have been an attractive proposition to an op.

Indeed, that was the selling point... to quote the flyer for Space Panther (which actually has English on it!):

"With MacPinBall MULTIGAME (r) you save nearly 60% renovating your model, because you only need to change the playfield, backglass and game EPROM memory."

Another company tried that about 13 years ago and closed the doors shortly afterwards...

Looking at the Space Panther flyer, the playfield on that game looks very interesting... two ramps take the ball into a strange flipperless upper playfield... I can't see any pics of the actual playfield for that game on the net... just the flyer! I just grabbed my flyer out and took some close-up shots of the playfield on it... never really looked at this game before!

Here's those close ups of the flyer if anyone's interested... it looks like the ball, once on the upper level, can fall through one of three holes, two of which trigger switches not accessible any other way... or roll back down the ramps, or down a wireform to feed the right flipper...

This game just made it to my wishlist!

Flyer detail.jpg
Flyer rear detail.jpg

#22 7 years ago

This game just made it to my wishlist!

Here's another playfield pic of Space Panther, and a few more MAC games. This collection belongs to someone involved with Petasa that distributed MAC games in Madrid.
Space Panther upper playfield.
space panther.jpg
Space Train
Space Train.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

#23 7 years ago

Love the weird stuff
Need this on my wishlist

Another Jolly Park just arrived ( my 6th one)
And have another Verne's World on route
( my 3rd one)

Keep digging for the cool stuff

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

Here's another playfield pic of Space Panther, and a few more MAC games. This collection belongs to someone involved with Petasa that distributed MAC games in Madrid.
Space Panther upper playfield.

Thanks for posting these!! Some great games there, and I think quite rare!! I have Mac Jungle (the first one!) and it's missing the board that sits under the playfield... I'd love to get hold of this guy and see if he has a spare one for sale!! I'll PM you in case you have his contact details!!

Quoted from rvdv:

And have another Verne's World on route
( my 3rd one)

3 VWs!! Now that's impressive!! So is 6 JPs!!

#25 7 years ago

I thought it was Burger Time pinball! That would be awesome!

#26 7 years ago

now I want a mac Jungle. Damn you finding all this weird shit that I like.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

now I want a mac Jungle. Damn you finding all this weird shit that I like.

One advantage of being my side of the pond

#28 7 years ago

Wow what a cool thread
Thanks for posting

#29 7 years ago

it's missing the board that sits under the playfield... I'd love to get hold of this guy and see if he has a spare one for sale!! I'll PM you

You better hope it's a universal board and not game specific to each conversion. I'll let you know and hope we can help you out. I'll be in Madrid this April.

There's a game for sale with a photo of this playfield... I've never seen this one before!! The confusing thing is that the backglass is from Mac Jungle, but this playfield is NOT Mac Jungle... I've written to the seller, but to be honest I've a feeling that he also doesn't know what he's got!

I like the 95 Jungle playfield, it appears to have two Atlantis/Mousin Around loop ramps. The right habitrail feeds back into the shooter lane, and the center ramp into a kickout hole. I think there might be an upper flipper to shoot that right loop ramp that feeds into the shooter, or it's a long shot from the lower flipper? It also has 2 sets of drop targets, and I enjoy the BurgerTime/ATHF theme. I bet an operator switched out the original backglass for the mixed up Jungle/Panther combo version. 3 MAC games in one. weird find.
jungle 95.jpg

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

The right habitrail feeds back into the shooter lane, and the center ramp into a kickout hole.

Hard to tell if the right rail feeds the shooter lane or if it widens out so that it falls into some kicker hidden in that plastic cutout... I guess the latter... there seems to be a screw (probably to fix the rail) that seems to be blocking the path to the shooter lane...

Quoted from sanctumwear:

I think there might be an upper flipper to shoot that right loop ramp that feeds into the shooter, or it's a long shot from the lower flipper?

I also noticed that would be a long shot from the lower left flipper... but I can't see any sign of an upper flipper... I'd love to get the playfield, just to see what it's all about

Quoted from sanctumwear:

You better hope it's a universal board and not game specific to each conversion. I'll let you know and hope we can help you out. I'll be in Madrid this April.

I'm guessing it's universal... I had a guy send me a pic of the one in his MAC Jungle, and there didn't appear to be any game specific chips on it... Here's all the pics I got:

If you do get chance to try and find one of these it would be massively appreciated!! It would give my MAC Jungle a chance to live!!! You will be my hero and saviour!!

I don't think I'll be buying this game though, the seller wants over $1000... bearing in mind it's a bastardised version I think that's a bit much... Can't imagine anyone else wanting it, so hopefully he'll come down a bit when he realises no-one else wants it!

Full view.JPG bottom left.JPG Chips top.JPG Top left.JPG Top right.JPG Upper chip.JPG
#31 7 years ago

And this is what my MAC Jungle looks like under the playfield where that board should be

Under playfield upper.jpg
#32 7 years ago

that board looks very simple. I'm sure someone like Ed C. could make that board in a day.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that board looks very simple. I'm sure someone like Ed C. could make that board in a day.

Who's Ed C. and where do I get hold of him?

#34 7 years ago

Who's Ed C. and where do I get hold of him?

That would be Ed Cheung: http://www.edcheung.com/album/album06/Pinball/pinball.htm

David Gersic is another guy that can also help out with board remakes. If you need his contact info just let me know.

#35 7 years ago

Don't bother david. He's working on some stuff for me. Ed is your man!

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

That would be Ed Cheung: http://www.edcheung.com/album/album06/Pinball/pinball.htm

David Gersic is another guy that can also help out with board remakes. If you need his contact info just let me know.

Cheers Matt, if I can't get an original this will be my next port of call!! It won't be for a long while before I go down this route, so no need to worry Capt.Neo about me stealing time from your man

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside