Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jodini
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

If you look at this Sure Shot flyer, these coin doors look like they were highly polished back in the day.

Never polished this type of door. Thinking of taking it to someone who polishes metal.

Anyone polished this kind of door?

Happy with look?

#2 10 years ago

Pinball Resource has a brand new coin door shell/skin along w/associated parts to make your game look like the one on the flyer: http://www.pbresource.com/CoinDoor.html

I've never polished a door but with a decent polishing tool and the right stuff to use it might look pretty good too - don't know. It's the plating that makes it shine so much. I don't know if a 30 some year old door has much plating left?

#3 10 years ago

Hoov, I think he means the later Columbia Pictures styles that were all Stainless. I always do a 'regrain' to remove old scratches that makes it looks new. (is that what you meant shapeshifter?) These are hard to find, PBR once in a while has a NOS, or used one, but they are not easy to come by.

#4 10 years ago

You're right. I've never have owned a Sure Shot and didn't realize it was from the '76 on generation..........

#5 10 years ago

Yeah, it's the big plain steel door version. Mine has no dents etc but just wondering how it would look properly polished.......not sure whether to risk it. Could end up being too shiny!

#6 10 years ago

Listen to Stasyboy and I am sure he will guide you through the proper way of refurbing the 76-79ish doors.

1 week later
#7 10 years ago

It turns out I am going to have to do the same thing on the door Chris is swapping out of his Jack's Open. My Card Whiz will have the wrong door and Chris will get the proper door from my Card Whiz. I amguessing I will have to start out with 600 grit then 800, 1000 etc... and then steel wool the finest stuff available.

#8 10 years ago

Metal finishing.

#9 10 years ago

Great videos! I use those flap sanding paper wheels on my cordless drill. They work great and get between the parts.

Be careful on that spinning polishing wheel....if you have anything that has a bend (or hole in it) it will grab it out of your hand and send it across your garage! Speaking from experience!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vista, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-polished-a-gottlieb-coin-door-1976-onwards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.