Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 288 posts
  • 104 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Scorch
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15291162116411724680668 (resized).jpg
    custodial-wdw (resized).jpg
    dbdd1169e3a7bc4e60c2f9a40dbf995fb0c1bdfd (resized).jpg
    2017E672-7FEF-48BA-B46B-627267EBB0C8 (resized).jpeg
    Disney-Strike-2000x577 (resized).jpg
    db3be54d-star-wars-land1 (resized).jpg
    0714_nws_ocr-l-d23swland-29110 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2018-06-15-12-33-52 (resized).png
    2ca93l (resized).jpg
    2ca84h (resized).jpg
    PHA-Q (resized).PNG
    Applause.gif
    Lemonades (resized).jpeg
    D4F9C2BE-E1FA-4736-AFD8-9C2977AD1888 (resized).png
    download (3) (resized).jpg
    260a95f20b9a3e025137267bfaa12404--hurt-johnny-johnny-cash-lyrics (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 288 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
    #201 5 years ago

Who "donated" 10 machines to Otaku?

But he will still not sell anything to fund his "dream"...

Screenshot_2018-06-15-12-33-52 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-06-15-12-33-52 (resized).png
    #202 5 years ago

The location he chose boggles me. While I would love to see a resurgence in arcades, his business model and location may not be on the winning side of things.

After a few curious visitors, it seems highly unlikely he will have any revenue to stay solvent. Do kids even enjoy pinball? Unless it is there in front of them with nothing else to do, I don't see that as any draw for them.
    Can he offer gambling machines, lottery tickets, food, drinks or alcohol? Maybe free WiFi and sell coffee at least?

His demeanor online and reputation concern me. How long will this take to become apparent on location?

Do we know what games he has lined up? I haven't read anything to suggest crowd pleasing wonderment.

One of TNT's videos showed "Otaku" proudly displaying his eBay purchase of 1980's video game factory part sheets. Does that make his locale a museum now?
    Starts around 17:48 mark.

I would be happy to stop by, pay my $10 and enjoy his selection of games....once.
    I just do not see myself anywhere near Ephrata PA, nor would I drive that distance to visit.

#203 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think $10/hr. is perfectly reasonable

Tell that to all the Disneyland employees.

#204 5 years ago
    Quoted from LovelyCoCoNuts:

Who "donated" to interlock/Otaku???
    He is flaunting it over on klov, but will not sell anything to "fund his dream".

That's his problem. He is a hoarder not a collector. He will never sell anything and is proud of the fact he has never spent more than $500 on a pin.

#205 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Tell that to all the Disneyland employees.

I didn't say it was a good wage, just a decent price to play pinball/arcades.

Without getting political, I'm definitely in the "hourly wages need to be higher" camp.

#206 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I didn't say it was a good wage, just a decent price to play pinball/arcades.

It's just a big news story around here right now. Billions spent on new Star Wars land and billions coming thru the front gate and employees making minimum wage in an area that costs half a million for an average house. Of course Disney has a long history of that.

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

That's his problem. He is a hoarder not a collector. He will never sell anything and is proud of the fact he has never spent more than $500 on a pin.

Dasvis is also proud, but his games work perfectly and are stellar after he has spent hundreds of hours restoring them.
    I've played 'em and they belong in a museum.

#208 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It's just a big news story around here right now. Billions spent on new Star Wars land and billions coming thru the front gate and employees making minimum wage in an area that costs half a million for an average house. Of course Disney has a long history of that.

The stories have started making their way to the news here too, albeit I'm sure less than you see. I love Disney and it definitely detracts from the enjoyment to know so many of their wonderful employees may be suffering. Hopefully they make some good corporate choices to help ease this a little.

#209 5 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

This is pinball news. Someone is opening up a location in Ephrata, PA.
    I did learn something from all of this. It's "If-ra-tah" not "Eef-ray-ta".

There's an "Eff-RAY-tah" on the west coast, so take care to avoid confusion.

#210 5 years ago

Digital pan handling is easy. I would be far more impressed if he did bake sales, pasta dinners, offered to paint or do odd jobs.
    It is always just pan handling with him.
    If I were one of the folks who sent him funds for his basement last year I would be sour as well.
    Review timeline
    April 5, need money for flood issues and and save his games.
    April 29, He has 660 donated dollars. Closes down donations and explains that he has his own game budget for the pinball show next week to buy games. But don’t worry it’s not the donated money. This is the true wtf moment. He promises to show pictures of the water proofing work but never does post an update on what he collected for. I for one would love to see the repairs he supposedly spent that pan handling on.
    In 1 year he increased from 30-100 games but needs 6000 to fund his arcade. Sell some games! Keep in mind unlike kickstarter he gets to keep the money even if he never opens or reaches his goal!
    I could not find his prior gofundme but I am pretty sure he had one before for the same thing. Referenced in
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-how-he-acted-here

#211 5 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

People like to announce that they're leaving in this thread.

Yes. Often. Seems there is a minimum of two announcements in two separate posts.

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

The location he chose boggles me. While I would love to see a resurgence in arcades, his business model and location may not be on the winning side of things.
    After a few curious visitors, it seems highly unlikely he will have any revenue to stay solvent. Do kids even enjoy pinball? Unless it is there in front of them with nothing else to do, I don't see that as any draw for them.
    Can he offer gambling machines, lottery tickets, food, drinks or alcohol? Maybe free WiFi and sell coffee at least?
    His demeanor online and reputation concern me. How long will this take to become apparent on location?
    Do we know what games he has lined up? I haven't read anything to suggest crowd pleasing wonderment.
    One of TNT's videos showed "Otaku" proudly displaying his eBay purchase of 1980's video game factory part sheets. Does that make his locale a museum now?
    Starts around 17:48 mark.

I would be happy to stop by, pay my $10 and enjoy his selection of games....once.
    I just do not see myself anywhere near Ephrata PA, nor would I drive that distance to visit.

lol he says "I brought you a gift, not to keep just to look at" lol sweet gift , couldnt watch anymore after that

#213 5 years ago

I will admit, "competent heating and cooling" is definitely on my list for a destination holiday.

#214 5 years ago

Wait..... did somebody say new Star Wars land?!!!!!

0714_nws_ocr-l-d23swland-29110 (resized).jpg0714_nws_ocr-l-d23swland-29110 (resized).jpg
    #215 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Holy crap! Is this what happens when there's no new pinball news??

Any pics of Ted & Otaku?

#216 5 years ago

What is that... A star wars land.... For ants?

#217 5 years ago

ohhh f$^*, you know what I just realized...

those bill of lading papers he has is the kind of stuff that is going to be featured in the museum part of the business...

cool and all but maybe 8 people in the world might care?

#218 5 years ago
    Quoted from LovelyCoCoNuts:

What is that... A star wars land.... For ants?

Let's just say it's still a work in progress. They probably need to cut a few more of the employee's benefits to finish it.

db3be54d-star-wars-land1 (resized).jpgdb3be54d-star-wars-land1 (resized).jpg
    #219 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think $10/hr. is perfectly reasonable for a clean, nice facility with top notch games and decent restrooms. None of which he has, I'm guessing.
    His hourly rate may be the only thing reasonable about his idea, lol.

He needs to make a trip to Springfield Mo. and check out 1984 Arcades business model
    ...then I'm sure he'll come back and tell us all how they're doing it wrong.

#220 5 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

Digital pan handling is easy. I would be far more impressed if he did bake sales, pasta dinners, offered to paint or do odd jobs.

Many things he can do that have a low cost to high profit ratio like lemonade stands. Running a gofundme to solicit donations for the purpose of starting a business just seems wrong to me.

#221 5 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Hopefully eventually people will see everything I do is in good measure and with a genuine love of the games we share, and that this constant hounding and trolling you guys called "advice" is actually doing the complete opposite and is quite a nuisance and is what caused me to slip up in the past. Aside from a few users, your "advice" is terrible and often filled with insults and offensive remarks based on internal anger over the state of the world and how popular fundraising has become, when in reality it's just the way of the world and you're going to have to learn to live with it, whether or not you think it is morally correct or not, as after all "morals" are all just opinions and are very subjective and differs with age and personality.

I can't believe that no one has picked up the fact that he is actually BLAMING Pinside for his slip ups!

Good god his generation is full of not me, not my responsibility, and everyone else pay for my well being. Maybe he is the next basement dweller to sue his parents.

#222 5 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Maybe he is the next basement dweller to sue his parents.

If he ends up in his grandma's basement, I hope he has a flotation mattress.

#223 5 years ago

Ill give him $10.00 if he gets a hair cut.

#224 5 years ago

Disney hates its employees so much they’ll be getting only $15 an hour. What evil bastards they are.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/03/news/companies/disney-minimum-wage/index.html

#225 5 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Disney hates its employees so much they’ll be getting only $15 an hour. What evil bastards they are.
    http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/03/news/companies/disney-minimum-wage/index.html

Try reading the article - it's always about more than pay. Scheduling is huge and so are overtime rules - who cares what you are getting paid when Disney can just schedule you for 10 hours a week? And they aren't "giving" their employees anything, it's a contract negotiation and the unions are fighting Disney tooth and nail to get these employees decent pay. And nobody said Disney hates their employees, just that they treat them like shit and CURRENTLY pay them $10 an hour, which is ridiculous. When a gigantic corporation like Disney gets millions (billions?!) in public subsidies, they have a moral obligation to offer the communities that supply those subsidies (YOUR tax money if you live in Florida) jobs with decent wages.

In my opinion.

#226 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

Running a gofundme to solicit donations for the purpose of starting a business just seems wrong to me.

Reminds me of Rusty Quarters on KLOV or Reddit. Someone posted he'll be back for more. They were right.

LTG : )

#227 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When a gigantic corporation like Disney gets millions (billions?!) in public subsidies, they have a moral obligation to offer the communities that supply those subsidies

Isn't Amazon and the city of Seattle going through something much like this?

#228 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Isn't Amazon and the city of Seattle going through something much like this?

Yes. Most major cities are. That's why worker and community advocates are bypassing the generally useless federal minimum wage (isn't it still like 8 bucks an hour?) and pushing for state and local laws that raise the minimum wage, especially where public subsidies are involved.

In Florida, there is a movement to raise the minimum wage to $19 an hour for workers at companies that receive corporate welfare - this is squarely aimed at companies like Disney which receive hundreds of millions of dollars of state money, but think $10 an hour for Floridians trying to provide for themselves and their families is just peachy.

#229 5 years ago

Shit, reminds me of reading about the old "company stores" those in the likes in coal mining towns for example, owned by the mine owners. Employees earn a paltry wage during the week and give it right back buying groceries and assorted sundries from the general store.
    Thank god times have changed.

#230 5 years ago

Like I said this goes way back. But at one time there were wide open spaces and rent and houses were dirt cheap. Even after I got out of high school, you didn't need a college education to get a decent job that more than paid your rent or buy a house and whatever car you might like to drive. Nowadays rent for small apartments in lessor neighborhoods are climbing thru the roof.

They have to do something or there won't be anybody left in the area to work for them.
    Disney-Strike-2000x577 (resized).jpgDisney-Strike-2000x577 (resized).jpg

#231 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If he ends up in his grandma's basement, I hope he has a flotation mattress.

And a adult orange PFD life jacket!

Best post in this topic so far!
    My girlfriend thinks I’m crazy because I burst out laughing when I read your post. She said what are you looking at?
    that pinball site again?

#232 5 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

It can be pretty damn debilitating. Not saying a heart attack or back can't either. But being stuck on the toilet, running to the toilet every 5 mins, it gets really depressing and impossible to even get in a car !

Don’t think that’s an issue as he makes it sound like he’s very busy driving his minivan around picking up free or inexpensive EM’s on a almost constant basis.

#233 5 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Don’t think that’s an issue as he makes it sound like he’s very busy driving his minivan around picking up free or inexpensive EM’s on a almost constant basis.

By his admission, he was given 10 machines yesterday....

I dunno about you guys... But my back is barking fierce after moving 1-2 games...

#234 5 years ago

I will donate to Otaku if he posts a Photo of himself dressed like a Pirate.......

#235 5 years ago
    Quoted from jasonp:

I will donate to Otaku if he posts a Photo of himself dressed like a Pirate.......

LOL his name is actually Steven !! Steve the Pirate . Garrrrrr.

2017E672-7FEF-48BA-B46B-627267EBB0C8 (resized).jpeg2017E672-7FEF-48BA-B46B-627267EBB0C8 (resized).jpeg
    #236 5 years ago

Will people actually pay him to let them play the (50) EM’s He got for free or paid less than $500 each for and a bunch of old video games?
    If someone tried to do this with (50)DMD games I think it would be near impossible to make it without selling alcohol like the retro arcade bars and all of those are normally located in BIG cities.

#237 5 years ago

The fact that this kid thinks people should fund his BS is exactly the problem right now with this generation. I'm not even that old but I'll admit I sound like an old man - but GD work hard, take a loan and pay for it yourself! What is this nonsense go fund me asking people for money to support you?

The problem is these people have no sense of pride. They will take a hand out from whomever, whatever, whenever. Please - feel pain and get motivated to help yourself. I speak from experience - it builds character....something these people don't have. Enough is enough.

#238 5 years ago

Ridiculous

#239 5 years ago

Top Men.....

#240 5 years ago

Seriously guys, "This Generation" did not invent laziness or entitlement. I'm Gen X, and this is the same crap the Baby Boomers said about us, and the same crap the Greatest Generation said about the Boomers.

There have always been those who feel that the world owes them a comfy living, and there always will be.

Let's not paint all of our kids with the same brush because of a few loud outliers.

#241 5 years ago

He was a tool before and now he's taken it to a new level. He is a con-artist who always has a card up his sleeve. Stomach issues, flooding basements, whatever can make him a few bucks so he doesn't have to work for it. Its pathetic and I hope he falls on his face.

#242 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

He was a tool before and now he's taken it to a new level. He is a con-artist who always has a card up his sleeve. Stomach issues, flooding basements, whatever can make him a few bucks so he doesn't have to work for it. Its pathetic and I hope he falls on his face.

Here we go again ....

dbdd1169e3a7bc4e60c2f9a40dbf995fb0c1bdfd (resized).jpgdbdd1169e3a7bc4e60c2f9a40dbf995fb0c1bdfd (resized).jpg
    #243 5 years ago

I'd donate $100 if he'll shave his head. Anyone else in for this?

#244 5 years ago

The great thing about being young is if entrepreneurship doesn't work out, there are still plenty of great job opportunities out there.

custodial-wdw (resized).jpgcustodial-wdw (resized).jpg
    #245 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The great thing about being young is if entrepreneurship doesn't work out, there are still plenty of great job opportunities out there.

I was thinking more like TV Evangalist.

#246 5 years ago

I “need” $6,000 to start a business what should I do?

A. Get a job and save my $
    B. Sell part of my toy collection that is stored in multiple family members’ homes
    C. Do odd jobs
    D. Offer my pinball tech services for hire
    E. Ask for $ on the internet from complete strangers

Tough call.

#247 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Tv evangelists are con-artists, but they work hard to get your money. That just won’t work for Otaku.

#248 5 years ago

Should of stayed silent, probably gave him a great idea.

#249 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Should of stayed silent, probably gave him a great idea.

He’d have to go to college for eight years to get his doctorate.

#250 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Yeah. but those dudes that pick up the trash at Disneyland make as much as the ride operators and they don't have to sit still all day.

When they have no more young people to do the job because they don't pay enough, I've been thinking it might be a great job for me if the smog shop ever folds up. People that work there get in free, and believe me, they charge an arm and a leg to get in there now. Season passes were about $120 when my daughter was young and now the cheapest one is almost $400. One day is $100.

There are 288 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-plan-on-donating/page/5?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.