Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Kenswift
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have a smaller collection due to size constraints.

I'm done with Sterns, got a Wonka recently and just love the quality...Thinking of getting a Dialed In.

Does anyone own both Wonka and DI? The layouts are very similar, so thinking it's prob not a good idea in a small collection of 3 pins...Might have to wait for Pirates re-run or get a GnR.

Thoughts??

#2 3 years ago

I have both. They do have some similarities, but still feel very different. DI is much more mode based. It really feels like it came out of the 90's with newer tech. Magnets on DI are 100% more interactive than Wonka. On Wonka they nudge the ball every so often, on DI they send the ball flying in multiple directions. In a small collection, the similarities may be too much. But I would say it would be no different than two Steve Ritchie or Keith Elwin games. If you like Pat Lawler games and don't mind having two, then from theme, shots, and code I think there will be enough of a difference. Both games flow like butter. Hope this helps.

#3 3 years ago

I own both also and they’re great pins.I have a total of ten pins and these are the two I play the most.
I’ve had DI for years now and of course was playing more Wonka because it’s newer but now I’m back in on DI.I agree with Crile1’s assessment above.The DI is mode based with a ton of modes and Wonka is one of the smoothest pins ever!

#4 3 years ago

I think Wonka is tons of fun... Dialed in I really wanted to like but never could get into.

Not sure why really... the theme on both isnt a home run for me but for some reason I just found Wonka way more fun.

#5 3 years ago

I had both and just traded my Wonka for an Elvira. I love the flow, theme and everything about Wonka but I just couldn't get into the scoring/etc. That being said.....I LOVE Dialed In. I totally agree Crile in his feelings that it came out of the 90's. The only thing I'd add to that is I describe DI as a Bally/Williams game from the 90's on steroids. I think you would enjoy both games.

#6 3 years ago

I own both. I've never thought of them as similar, they play totally different. I have 9 or 10 games set up at a time, these 2 have been getting the most play lately. I personally think DI is the better game of the 2, and probably has more staying power. I've also seen some fantastic deals on DI lately, it's a lot of game for your money.

You are probably waiting a long time for the Pirates rerun or a GnR. Grab a DI and when the next pin is available 6 months from now sell either Wonka or DI to fund it.

#7 3 years ago

I have both and they are awesome. I think they are different. Wonka added about 4 months ago play it the most, over 500 plays mostly by me.
My neighbor when he comes over camps out on Wonka. He's a big PL fan has FH, TZ & TAF.

DI might be my favorite pin and gets a ton of play after owning for almost 2 years. DI is mode based and I just love the modes and the game itself.

I have the Wonka base model and DI LE.

Good luck.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I'm done with Sterns

Why?
I mean I get u loving JJP games and the quality stuff but "done with Sterns" again Why?

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I had both and just traded my Wonka for an Elvira. I love the flow, theme and everything about Wonka but I just couldn't get into the scoring/etc. That being said.....I LOVE Dialed In. I totally agree with Crile in his feelings that it came out of the 90's. The only thing I'd add to that is, I describe DI as a Bally/Williams game from the 90's on steroids. I think you would enjoy both games though.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Why?
I mean I get u loving JJP games and the quality stuff but "done with Sterns" again Why?

Both companies have had qc issues. I want an elvira 3. Would like the nib experience, but stern is a crapshoot. If you draw the short straw its a fight to get them to fix it if they even will. For the reason i will probably buy used just so i know what im getting.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Why?

After having 10+ sterns over the last 5 years, and now having a JJP and AP, there is no contest...I love the feel of BOTH JJP and AP.

I had numerous issues with the feel on Sterns, Stranger Things, JP, Avengers, etc...Just constant...It's so nice to have pins that are rock solid...They both remind me of B/W's and that's a good thing.

Not saying I'm out on Stern for good, but for now; it's a much needed break.

#15 3 years ago

Own both, and at first they seemed similar to me as well but they're really not, and I can't put my finger on why they feel similar now that I'm analyzing it. I guess because they both feature a lot of ramp-to-inlane flow, but looking at both playfields side by side, the placement and travel of most shots isn't all that similar. The themes and scoring are really quite different as well. They're both going to last a long time for me, two of my favorites.

#16 3 years ago

I have a DI and wanted a Wonka but didnt get one just for this reason, too similar layout, now I'm on the hunt for The Hobbit. not had much luck yet, and I can not support Guns and Roses,

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

I have a DI and wanted a Wonka but didnt get one just for this reason, too similar layout, now I'm on the hunt for The Hobbit. not had much luck yet, and I can not support Guns and Roses,

My Hobbit is bolted to the floor. It is way underrated. Good luck and hope you enjoy it.

#26 3 years ago

I would take DI over Wonka I did not like the upper right of the playfield.

5 months later
#27 2 years ago

I have a DI and wanted a Wonka but didnt get one just for this reason, too similar layout, now I'm on the hunt for The Hobbit. not had much luck yet, and I can not support Guns and Roses,</blockquote

I am lucky to own hobbit, dialed and wonka arrive next week... also have a mmr so not much sleeping next week... third world problems

6 months later
#28 2 years ago

I had a dialed in and it was great but I sold it. Very linear and if you didn’t follow it you didn’t get any points. Also was really hard to control. I have a Wonka now and I think it’s a lot more fun and approachable. If someone has a hard time hitting that phone scoop on dialed you’re not going anywhere. Also the sim shot is a bear. Wonka is as smooth, and I love the stackable modes and the whimsical call outs. It doesnt annoy me at all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 64.00
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-own-a-wonka-and-a-dialed-in?hl=crile1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.