Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Wickerman2
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

966472FA-EBDA-45A9-B7D9-1697A5393481 (resized).jpeg
    94113A3B-4EB5-4D7D-A00D-62D74F197078 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Crane Available (resized).jpg
    Crane Castings (resized).jpg
    Crane Quarter (resized).jpg
    Crane Ten Cents2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0807 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Thinking about getting one for the house. Kids love playing those claw machines with prizes and never win b/c they're rigged. Thinking it could be cool to have in the basement.

Any owners here of those and where did you buy? Tips/suggestions for newbie? Thanks

#2 2 years ago

We have a Pirates Chest (Smart Industries) claw machine. Plays Pirates Life For Me music during a game. It’s always a big hit when we have parties. Picked one up a couple years ago on CL. Bought a “lot” of stuffed animals on eBay to fill it. Never had any issues, so can’t speak to repairs.

You’re absolutely right about them being rigged. You can set dip switches for payout rate and adjust the tension on claw. We have it set fairly easy so guests win something within a few plays.

#3 2 years ago

I picked up a 1980’s model for nostalgia reasons and filled it with 1980’s themed toys. Check craigslist and sometimes even eBay.

#4 2 years ago

Thanks guys. What's price point in these? Seems like brand new is 3k with used 500-800?

I might put a wanted ad for one here never know

#5 2 years ago

I have a big choice that i want to get rid of in your price point. Bought it for the kid, didnt want to bring it in the basement due to how heavy it was. Been sitting in my garage

#6 2 years ago

We use skill based claw machines. I have 2 at my house right now. One is skill based and the other one is a winner every time ducky crane. Kids love the ducks.

#7 2 years ago

They sit and sit on FB in the Cleveland area at $250. Unless you are operating them, they are hard to get rid of. I would wait until you can find something cheap. I've often thought about getting one too but for the space they take up and the "how much would anyone ACTUALLY use this" factor, it's hard to justify spending a lot on one. It would be cool to have one but I guess it just depends how bad you want it. I'd look for something $200 or less...

#8 2 years ago

Thanks. Yeah I'm trying to find a nicer one and would pay a little more for it but not more than 500. I'm in the 250-500 range agree doing some research.

I also don't look at Facebook so pm if you see one. Thanks

#9 2 years ago

I've looked at one of these....
    does anybody know if that claw is strong enough to pick-up full cans of beer?

I'm thinking of mixing 'assorted flavors' for my guests and employing it to quench their thirst.
    But I don't know if mechanically the claw could handle it.

Thoughts, anyone?

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from twoplays25c:

I've looked at one of these....
    does anybody know if that claw is strong enough to pick-up full cans of beer?

I'm thinking of mixing 'assorted flavors' for my guests and employing it to quench their thirst.
    But I don't know if mechanically the claw could handle it.

Thoughts, anyone?

I think it depends on the model. I've seen some that can pick up iPads and other small electronics. Well, they're in the glass. Not sure if they're actually winnable.

#11 2 years ago

Mine was 400 but looks like it came out of the box. I would say 650 an under can get you a nice clean working model.

#12 2 years ago

The Captain's Auction Warehouse folks had a really cool mini one they'd custom wrapped at CAX this past weekend. I'd love to find one like it to fill with candy, but haven't heard back from them on who actually makes it. There's one on ebay that looks the same, but no manufacturer info.

IMG_0807 (resized).jpg
    #13 2 years ago

thanks guys - very helpful.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

thanks guys - very helpful.

Too funny I was just looking for one of these today. Finished the game room and instead of saying looks great my daughter says "but wheres the claw machine?" lol

#15 2 years ago

I have a couple of old crane mechs, in newer cabinets, that are counter top. They are in the "Erie" type model.
    Ill be listing them on Pinside, along with some other arcade stuff soon. These are $685.

Crane Quarter (resized).jpgCrane Ten Cents2 (resized).jpg
    #16 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I have a couple of old crane mechs, in newer cabinets, that are counter top. They are in the "Erie" type model.
    Ill be listing them on Pinside, along with some other arcade stuff soon. These are $685.[quoted image][quoted image]

Is that one to the Left in the top pic for sale and what does "in newer cabinets"mean? I'm new to this type of coin op?? PM if you prefer. Thanks

#17 2 years ago

The one on the far left is the one I am keeping for my granddaughter. I had collected a couple of mechanisms, and had Dale Parker, he is in his 80s now sadly with cancer, he made the cabinets out of wood, so these are new. The mech and body are from 1950s in yellow, and possible the late 40s on the Erie Style.
    He turned the mechs into working games you see. The glass was the hardest. No one local in Orlando could do, so a fellow pinhead in south Florida who was in the business collected enough extra to supply the pieces.
    People paint these, add a mirror /model background, and a period bulb.
    Its a great working start, and the go from $700-$1000+ on Ebay. I have $650 into each, so Im hoping to just share the joy.
    I have marquee castings, I was/am are hoping to reproduce.
    Crane Available (resized).jpgCrane Castings (resized).jpg

The mech picture is a sample pic from the net, it is very close, no free play op plunger though, this is coin-op.

pasted_image (resized).png
    #18 2 years ago

Turtlepower169 has worked on a lot of these and could get you one. Send him a pm

#19 2 years ago

I have this beauty for sale

94113A3B-4EB5-4D7D-A00D-62D74F197078 (resized).jpeg966472FA-EBDA-45A9-B7D9-1697A5393481 (resized).jpeg
    #20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

turtlepower169 has worked on a lot of these and could get you one. Send him a pm

Thanks - sent him a PM..

I'm only looking for a newer looking one vs antique....

#21 2 years ago

I have a Smart Candy Crane (24", gen 5 or 6 I can't remember) if you're interested in a smaller unit.

$250 in Louisville KY.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from CoreyStup:

I have a Smart Candy Crane (24", gen 5 or 6 I can't remember) if you're interested in a smaller unit.
    $250 in Louisville KY.

Pm sent.... Just realized it's just candy I guess? Can't put stuffed animals?

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside