(Topic ID: 72423)

Anyone over the MMR rush or having second thoughts?

By rai

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Art you on the fence?”

• Not on the fence, I'll be buying MMR 122 votes
    54%
  • I'm on the fence dislike selling tons of pins or passing on other future pins 43 votes
    19%
  • I am not on MMR list but would like it buy one at this price it's a no brainer 26 votes
    12%
  • I am on the list but will defiantly drop out just waiting to see if I can make money flipping my spot 35 votes
    15%

(226 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cats-fighting1.jpg
75097514-c7a8-41d3-80d1-8868cf3ca0be.jpeg
image-193.jpg
There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from Havoc:

Remake may be fun to play, but still just a remake. Kind of like classic cars they can make remakes and kit cars but they are not all that exciting.

Geesh I hate that analogy. Pinball machines are meant to be played, not just looked at. Show me anyone who would rather drive an old C1 Corvette as a daily driver over a C6 or C7. Isn't going to happen. New cars drive and handle far superior over the classics.

#52 10 years ago

On the other hand; "Good wine ages over time...".

It's hard to compare pinball to other goods, but the real debate here should about the fact it's totally insane to put an exact copy of the MMR on the market after 16 years of development for a stunning $8K [without proper R&D cost]!

"What if" they made a successor of the orginal -> same theme but completely new game? Medieval Madness 2?

Yes... what if...

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from generalgman:

Show me anyone who would rather drive an old C1 Corvette as a daily driver over a C6 or C7. Isn't going to happen. New cars drive and handle far superior over the classics.

I'll disagree. When it comes to cars I'd rather drive the C1 then a 6 or 7 any day. Classic cars are just that classics. Heck I'd rather drive a Model A then the latest hot rods that everyone is driving. How many ORIGINAL Model A's do you still see on the road?

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#54 10 years ago

yeah, the cost of the machine, I think is a little high. I mean they do have to retool a few things, but it shouldn't be that high. If they go on to a new machine, it will not sell for 8k. I think MM is one of the only games they will be able to charge that much for.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It took you 3 whole minutes?

You have to factor in the time it took for the Wizard to give him a brain.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Weren't Gene's 200-ish BBBs technically just remakes of the original 12? I never hear people talking crap about those "refakes". What's the difference?

Quoted from gprotein:

BBB remakes = exact copy with Capcom logo, original boardset, artwork... etc.
MM remakes = missing logo, emulation pcbs, no sockets for inserts, decal vs silkscreen cab... etc.

Exactly.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Can we have one f*cking thread where people don't compare pinball to cars!?!?

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

...A NEW on? NEW?!?! These "refake" clowns are totally underestimating the power of "new" on this title. It's like a brand new Porche 911 Turbo Carrera compared to a used rice burner.

Apparently not.

#58 10 years ago

It's like a brand new Porche 911 Turbo Carrera compared to a used rice burner.

I'm afraid that if I even begin to understand this analogy my brain will explode.

#59 10 years ago

I seriously am saving my money so I can buy the machines that people have to dump to buy mmr. They will be a ton of machines and they will be going at fire prices, I can't wait, it's going to be a buyers market! Ed

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from KoolMoeCraig:

I'm just happy that it's helping to destroy the price bubble. Those initial posts by some douchebags saying "I'm quitting the hobby because they are destroying the value of my machines" brought a smile to my face a mile wide.It's single-handedly bringing prices down. Go check any Craigslist and look at the pins on there. Nothing is selling and people are still clinging to their over-inflated prices. They're trying to sell to have money for their MMR's. When deliveries actually start, look out.

I totally agree, also people are acting like it so hard to duplicate a pinball for starters it's not like it' rare art, the cabinets and playfields are being made by the same co.who made them for Williams / Bally Churchill cabinet co. And Chicago gaming will do the rest they also did jobs for Williams and the rest is just steel,plastic,glass and electronics it will be made as good or better than the original it's not that hard to reverse engineer a 17 yr. old pin .I'm a mechanical engineer and company's do it all the time and often improve the final product.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from generalgman:

Geesh I hate that analogy. Pinball machines are meant to be played, not just looked at. Show me anyone who would rather drive an old C1 Corvette as a daily driver over a C6 or C7. Isn't going to happen. New cars drive and handle far superior over the classics.

I'd be all over the C1. not as fast, but a way cooler car.

#62 10 years ago

Gotcha. Were the original MMs silkscreened, not decaled like MB?

Yes, original is screened.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I'll disagree. When it comes to cars I'd rather drive the C1 then a 6 or 7 any day. Classic cars are just that classics. Heck I'd rather drive a Model A then the latest hot rods that everyone is driving. How many ORIGINAL Model A's do you still see on the road?
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

john around here there are actually tons of the original model a's. I have even owned a few - they are actually everywhere - dam things never die - over 80 years old and still going - it's very good reading to learn how ford made these - all the parts he ordered had to be in specific wooden boxes - with screw holes in certain spots.

he then used the wood for floors and other parts of the model a - the guy was a way ahead of others - it's incredible what he did in the 20's

thanks ed

#64 10 years ago

Do I buy a well used 16 year old MM for 15-20 Grand or a NIB MM for 8 Grand?
I chose to save my money and buy a NIB MM for 8 Grand.
Can't wait to get it. It will be my first NIB.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from KoolMoeCraig:

'm just happy that it's helping to destroy the price bubble. Those initial posts by some douchebags saying "I'm quitting the hobby because they are destroying the value of my machines" brought a smile to my face a mile wide.

The people that are quitting the hobby over the announcement are being melodramatic, and I don't agree with that attitude.

I'm personally glad that people can afford a pin they thought they would never be able to afford, but it really is strange that those same people that I am happy for are smiling because a pin I happen to own is now worth less.

Both attitudes are equally repugnant.

#66 10 years ago

I'm still considering whether I'll stay on the list or not but not for any of the reasons listed. I have concerns about the radically different electronics package and the incompatibility with common mods/add-ons such as color DMD. sure they claim they will offer it as a software upgrade but at what cost? We'll already have paid for the hardware.

Still in for now... not sure if I'll stay in...

Jaz

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Do I buy a well used 16 year old MM for 15-20 Grand or a NIB MM for 8 Grand?
I chose to save my money and buy a NIB MM for 8 Grand.
Can't wait to get it. It will be my first NIB.

Exactly! I'm still excited about it. The only way I'll consider cancelling is if someone sells me a MMIE (Incandescent Edition) for less than 8k

#68 10 years ago

I personally hope a whole ton of folks bail. Enough so that the whole standard edition run dies on the vine, then they can focus on CC and MB next.

#69 10 years ago

I'm wondering if people pre-ordered, then canceled just so they have something to talk about on Pinside.

#70 10 years ago

Happily still in and excited. Never had a nib classic that's rated number one by you pinside. I prefer the feel of my nineties pin especially the flippers not buzzing and feeling sort of cheap. Also happy to support a company who's owner seems to have a sense of humor even about criticism and was great to deal with. Also I doubt he would get bent out of shape when you ask for your money back.

Depending on how mm ends up being a winner or not I am probably in for number 2.

#71 10 years ago

Standards killed it as others have mentioned. No rush to be a early adopter anymore. I still have my order in, but will probably cancel unless I can see/play the prototype before the cutoff date.

#72 10 years ago

I picked up a really nice.condition orignal for 8k so i obviously bailed. Got a proven working version for same price as orignal. No brainer. Probably wouldve gone 9k on this title possibly. I didnt cancel until i bought this one though. It also came with a 4k afm

#73 10 years ago

Ordered but dropped out . i already have a restored mm and just wanted to use the mmr as trade bait for hobbit but I'm at capacity so it didn't make sense. I was also going to do a side by side comparison with the two and let the lesser go. From the looks of the mmr, it would have been the one out the door.

#74 10 years ago

yikes

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from Havoc:

Remake may be fun to play, but still just a remake. Kind of like classic cars they can make remakes and kit cars but they are not all that exciting.

Many kit car remakes are actually better performing the originals. More valuable or as rare? Nope. Better performance and better reliability? Yep.

#76 10 years ago

Lets see, pre announcement mm was 12-15k and something I wouldn't buy at that price, now I can get a nib mmr for 8k? F yeah I'm still in!

#77 10 years ago

Weren't Gene's 200-ish BBBs technically just remakes of the original 12? I never hear people talking crap about those "refakes". What's the difference?

Original BBB's had screened art work, remakes decals. Remakes tube dancer is a little smaller as they didn't have the original molds and copied one.

LTG : )

#78 10 years ago

I am still in, no doubt. Since MM is "number one" surprised more people aren't in. Though I have always said MM can't be #1 forever

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

BBB remakes = exact copy with Capcom logo, original boardset, artwork... etc.
MM remakes = missing logo, emulation pcbs, no sockets for inserts, decal vs silkscreen cab... etc.

Not sure if you saw this or not from Lloyd:

"Original BBB's had screened art work, remakes decals. Remakes tube dancer is a little smaller as they didn't have the original molds and copied one.

LTG : )"

So no, they were not exact copies either.

#80 10 years ago

I'm in and I'm still excited. I love the game. I don't have space for more than 2 or 3 machines so why not make 1 of them an MM ? Brand new out of a box? No brainer for me.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Original BBB's had screened art work, remakes decals. Remakes tube dancer is a little smaller as they didn't have the original molds and copied one.
LTG : )

Thanks for the history lesson, LLoyd. Looks like decals are one more thing MMR & BBBR have in common. I'm fully confident the MMRs will be at least as good as the originals.

p.s. Whoever came up with the BBB tube dancer is genius. It's rigid plastic, and yet the dance moves look surprisingly natural.

#82 10 years ago

I'm in for now until Stern announces Walking Dead or another music pin. I like MM but it's not my favorite for a long shot. I just like NIB lately

#83 10 years ago

I hope lots of people drop out and the standards never get made thus a true le and I hopefully won't lose much if anything on it if I ever sell.

#84 10 years ago

I can't wait to unpack mine, smell it, touch it and lick the clearcoated playfield.

Then I might have a game or two.

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Where is the option for "I was never interested to begin with"?

I would go with this option

#86 10 years ago

I had a spot from day one for about 2 weeks then I let it go because MB is my grail pin and I would rather put the money towards an original or if by some chance they do an MB remake before I get an original. MM is a great game and one day hope to own one but had to put my game priorities in order.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I hope lots of people drop out and the standards never get made thus a true le and I hopefully won't lose much if anything on it if I ever sell.

A true LE would be 300 maybe 400 max. A thousand goes way beyond what a true LE really is...

#88 10 years ago

I can't wait. It will be my first NIB as well. Im just happy I can have my last and only grail pin.

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

A true LE would be 300 maybe 400 max. A thousand goes way beyond what a true LE really is...

I dont think Ive agreed with a single thing youve ever said. This is just complete ignorance. A product sold out in three hours or so. I would consider that limited even though it sold more than the typical stern release. Perhaps it is a more complete product.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

I dont think Ive agreed with a single thing youve ever said.

That's your problem... I can't save everyone!

#91 10 years ago

You can't even save yourself.... certainly no chance with me.

#92 10 years ago

Huge difference! MM was a full production game and thousands were made. BBB was never put into production by Capcom. Gene simply continued Capcom's original plans. Without IPB BBB would not even really exist. Just can't compare the two...

#93 10 years ago

I was on the list, but backed out. After much thought, I decided these games won't be rare at all and although the price might hold at $7000, there is no way they go up or hold at $8000. There could always be a price increase, but my personal opinion is that people are done paying $7000-$8000 for games..........We will find this out next year. I am amazed at the games coming for sale right now, imagine what it will be like when people have to fork over $7000 for the remaining payment on MMR.

#94 10 years ago

Initially I was told deposit due within one week or you lose your spot. So I decided pretty quick not to go for it and never sent payment. Now a month later I was asked if I was still in? I don't think that 1,000 have sold yet.

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

I don't think that 1,000 have sold yet.

Probably correct, the whole regular edition made pre ordering less urgent, people found out about the string lights instead of sockets.

I like the idea of color changing LCD but why can't it be on the production pin? It's not guaranteed anywhere so who knows if it will happen ever or if you will have to pay for it?

I'd like some clarification about that, and making socketed lights would probably help justify the $8k price.

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Exactly! I'm still excited about it. The only way I'll consider cancelling is if someone sells me a MMIE (Incandescent Edition) for less than 8k

Exactly. If I can find one of those quaint vintage models in excellent condition for a fair price - gotta be sub $6k now - I'd consider passing on the NEW one.

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

And people care about this why?

#98 10 years ago

And people care about this why?

some do, some don't... don't worry about it.

#99 10 years ago

Wow, this is SO true. So many people talk so much shit on here. Wish I was closer! Bullshit, you don't have the means. People love to pretend they are just a few miles away or a small coincidence away from buying every machine available!

Quoted from Dayhuff:

The funny thing is that if a Williams MM came up for sale that looked like it just came out of the box...people would be pushing each other out of the way with $8K in there hands and willing to pay even more or perhaps twice that to own it. So here's everyone's chance to step up to the plate and put there money where there mouth is and get a brand new on and pull it right out of the box...but there's alot of people saying there not interested all of a sudden. Hmmm....., makes me wonder why that is ?

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

I think you can lump most (most being the key word, I'm sure there are exceptions) people who have canceled up to this point into 3 categories:

1.) Flippers hoping to make a ton of money that canceled due to the MM14 Standard announcement
2.) People who never really had the means to begin with
3.) People who could, but just jumped on the hype train.

If you REALLY wanted a new MM, and you were't doing it for greed, and you could swing it, there is no real reason to cancel. The deposits are still refundable and the bulk of the information hasn't been presented. Nobody knows if you'll have a chance to play it, or how many people will, or really any details. I guess my point is, if this is something you really wanted, there was no reason to cancel so early. Why wait for a standard if you might have had the option to play it or know someone who played the LE before committing?

Quoted from markmon:

After expo, 5 of my local friends bought this and were super excited. At this point, only 1 is still in. I'm sure that trend is not a localized phenomenon. Ricks mistake was announcing the regulars. It became clear that there was no reason to preorder when you'll be able to pick up a new mmr anytime.

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I was on the list, but backed out. After much thought, I decided these games won't be rare at all and although the price might hold at $7000, there is no way they go up or hold at $8000. There could always be a price increase, but my personal opinion is that people are done paying $7000-$8000 for games..........We will find this out next year. I am amazed at the games coming for sale right now, imagine what it will be like when people have to fork over $7000 for the remaining payment on MMR.

So you backed out because you might lose some money on a resale down the line? Welcome to pinball pre-2011. You are supposed to lose money on a NIB pinball machine!!!!! People were living a crazy dream these past few years and didn't lose on certain titles.

Quoted from teekee:

A true LE is limited to a specified number. 2500 would be an LE. Would it rise in price due to forced scarcity? No. Is it an LE? Absolutely.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 9.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-over-the-mmr-rush-or-having-second-thoughts/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.