(Topic ID: 72423)

Anyone over the MMR rush or having second thoughts?

By rai

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Art you on the fence?”

• Not on the fence, I'll be buying MMR 122 votes
    54%
  • I'm on the fence dislike selling tons of pins or passing on other future pins 43 votes
    19%
  • I am not on MMR list but would like it buy one at this price it's a no brainer 26 votes
    12%
  • I am on the list but will defiantly drop out just waiting to see if I can make money flipping my spot 35 votes
    15%

(226 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cats-fighting1.jpg
75097514-c7a8-41d3-80d1-8868cf3ca0be.jpeg
image-193.jpg
There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 10 years ago

I recall at first, I was overjoyed that MM was being remade. Dream come true, but then, as the adrenalin died down the cooling off period and the thoughts of cost and space or selling pins to make room.

And on top of that the cost is not inconsequential, I mean almost two Stern pros or two games such as CFTBL and TAF.

Also the thought of the market being saturated with resales of the remakes when BBB or MB comes out next.

#2 10 years ago

It took me about 3 minutes to get over that turd !

#3 10 years ago

I was all caught up but then realized I never chased the old one anyway so why worry about a new one. If they do MB my daughter loved it and thats worth buying (not at 8k though).
Other wise I am Stern Die Hard.

#4 10 years ago

Poll added bump

#5 10 years ago

It took you 3 whole minutes?

Quoted from McCune:

If it's about this and the money, then yes MM14 is probably not for you. If you want a brand new MM for $8K, there is very little to think about for another month or so. We should be starting to hear more in 3 weeks as Williams approval nears.

Quoted from rai:

Also the thought of the market being saturated with resales of the remakes when BBB or MB comes out next.

#6 10 years ago

I was enthused at first, but cancelled my order a couple weeks later. Too many better ways to spend that money, and not enough information about the final product.

You should add those that have canceled to the poll.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Yah thats right! MM sucks, screw that piece of junk! Oh wait....I have a deposit on one. Ehhem....Yah MM rocks!

#8 10 years ago

well, it gives me half a year to sell a pin to make room.
once they start getting shipped, there will be big social buzz in the air again.
still excited to have. now i have to take a loan out to start buying mods

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You should add those that have canceled to the poll.

Don't know how to add to a poll, if a mod is able to go ahead.

#10 10 years ago

Still as pumped as I was on the first day... Bring on my MM!

#11 10 years ago

Where is the option for "I was never interested to begin with"?

#12 10 years ago

Poll question:I am on the list but will defiantly drop out (5 votes)

Defiantly dropping out?

It always pays to be pleasant about it

lol

rd.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Where is the option for "I was never interested to begin with"?

Or: "I don't do refakes"

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Defiantly dropping out?

The only defiant ones are the ones sending back your deposit. Actually it did finally show up. No harm, no foul. Refund in full.

#15 10 years ago

Remake may be fun to play, but still just a remake. Kind of like classic cars they can make remakes and kit cars but they are not all that exciting.

#16 10 years ago

After expo, 5 of my local friends bought this and were super excited. At this point, only 1 is still in. I'm sure that trend is not a localized phenomenon. Ricks mistake was announcing the regulars. It became clear that there was no reason to preorder when you'll be able to pick up a new mmr anytime.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Ricks mistake was announcing the regulars. It became clear that there was no reason to preorder when you'll be able to pick up a new mmr anytime.

word

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Havoc:

Remake may be fun to play, but still just a remake. Kind of like classic cars they can make remakes and kit cars but they are not all that exciting.

Can we have one f*cking thread where people don't compare pinball to cars!?!?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Ricks mistake was announcing the regulars. It became clear that there was no reason to preorder when you'll be able to pick up a new mmr anytime.

That and the gold trim (bleh!), and getting just a shaker motor for buying one sight unseen.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Ricks mistake was announcing the regulars.

Not to go into supply and demand, but with it potentially being easy to get reduces desirability/urgency. I agree Rick should have held off until the initial euphoria wore off to see what the real demand is before announcing standards, I think he was a little caught up in the excitement as well. I jumped in on the excitement of the moment, and remain in, but that is not to say I have not had second thoughts relative to the economics (e.g. how many other pins can I have for that money, etc.). At the same time, I would still take this over most of the Stern pins selling near or more then that price.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yep. Totally agree with you on this point. I think it actually soured interest overall.

#22 10 years ago

Weren't Gene's 200-ish BBBs technically just remakes of the original 12? I never hear people talking crap about those "refakes". What's the difference?

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

What's the difference?

"Capcom"

#24 10 years ago

The funny thing is that if a Williams MM came up for sale that looked like it just came out of the box...people would be pushing each other out of the way with $8K in there hands and willing to pay even more or perhaps twice that to own it. So here's everyone's chance to step up to the plate and put there money where there mouth is and get a brand new on and pull it right out of the box...but there's alot of people saying there not interested all of a sudden. Hmmm....., makes me wonder why that is ?

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#25 10 years ago

I'm with option E.......Never had any intention of buying, since my buddy is dropping his own coin & I can go over to his house to play it anytime

#26 10 years ago

Perhaps the legend was bigger than the game itself.

#27 10 years ago

I don't see the difference. In both instances the companies had gotten out of pinball, and then someone bought the rights to remake the game(s). Right? Both are remakes, and I'm totally okay with that.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Hmmm....., makes me wonder why that is ?

Thats another thread. Too many games on the way, with prices leveling off and game choices ,selling one for this high a ticket is harder now. Fed up with the price ceiling anyway. No more room so everyone has to be really picky about what that last game or one over their limit will be etc etc.

#29 10 years ago

I don't see the difference.

BBB was made with Capcom boards and parts to Capcom specs. And nobody has a problem with it now that they have seen the finished product. Gene went all out and did an excellent job. MMr is an altered beast, and nobody here has even seen a decent picture of one yet

#30 10 years ago

Weren't Gene's 200-ish BBBs technically just remakes of the original 12? I never hear people talking crap about those "refakes". What's the difference?

BBB remakes = exact copy with Capcom logo, original boardset, artwork... etc.
MM remakes = missing logo, emulation pcbs, no sockets for inserts, decal vs silkscreen cab... etc.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Capcom boards and parts to Capcom specs.

No doubt some don't view the remake as the "real thing", since it has quite a few differences in that regard. Of course if they did an exact replica, with all the old boards, etc, there would be a contingent screaming 'why did you not use LEDs', 'why did you not upgrade the 20 year old board set', 'why no color DMD' (well lets see how this plays out). So as typical with this crowd, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Of course any marketing research guy will tell you that lots of people will say " I would buy x for y", until they have to put their money down. Regardless, they will have no problem selling the LEs and there will be lots of happy NIB MM owners. How prices evolve over time, will be interesting to see.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

BBB remakes = exact copy with Capcom logo, original boardset, artwork... etc.
MM remakes = missing logo, emulation pcbs, no sockets for inserts, decal vs silkscreen cab... etc.

Gotcha. Were the original MMs silkscreened, not decaled like MB?

#33 10 years ago

Cancelled my MMR LE spot, someone on the waiting list will be getting an email.....

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

(well lets see how this plays out).

That's exactly where I'm at. In a few months we will know exactly what we are dealing with, and if it turns out to be worth the money, they will be readily available for purchase in unlimited quantities. BBB was limited to the amount of original parts that were available at the time. I'm on the sideline for this one, and don't care to risk my $ just to be the first one on my block to have one.

#35 10 years ago

I'm just happy that it's helping to destroy the price bubble. Those initial posts by some douchebags saying "I'm quitting the hobby because they are destroying the value of my machines" brought a smile to my face a mile wide.

It's single-handedly bringing prices down. Go check any Craigslist and look at the pins on there. Nothing is selling and people are still clinging to their over-inflated prices. They're trying to sell to have money for their MMR's. When deliveries actually start, look out.

#36 10 years ago

You forgot the 'Already cancelled my preorder' option.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I recall at first, I was overjoyed that MM was being remade. Dream come true, but then, as the adrenalin died down the cooling off period and the thoughts of cost and space or selling pins to make room.
And on top of that the cost is not inconsequential, I mean almost two Stern pros or two games such as CFTBL and TAF.

Just picture taking that bad boy out of the box, running your finger across that clear coated playfield, putting in SilverJets and pressing play. No hesitation.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Yep. Totally agree with you on this point. I think it actually soured interest overall.

+1, in fact I wonder if MMR will be more limited than MMRLE. Hard to imagine that there will be more than thousand standard MMR's made especially if they make another remake of a classic

Regardless, I'm excited and in

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Just picture taking that bad boy out of the box, running your finger across that clear coated playfield, putting in SilverJets and pressing play. No hesitation.

I like your thinking.

I have played MM before was maybe 7 years ago, so I was not as in tune to what to look for such as flow or shots or rule strategy (etc..) so does the MM pin live up to the newer pins?

I liked the theme and art and funny call outs, and castle toy, but then I hear people say it's just shoot the castle rinse repeat etc. and it has me concerned for $8K.

Someone talk me back from the ledge.

I mean, do I wait for Hobbit? Get a new AcDc premake? Get a couple of older B/W games? Wait for the MM (king of all pins?)

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I liked the theme and art and funny call outs, and castle toy, but then I hear people say it's just shoot the castle rinse repeat etc. and it has me concerned for $8K.
Someone talk me back from the ledge.

If you need deep rules then this isn't the pin for you. That could be said for many of the WPC95s, yet they're generally well-received.

If you're concerned about getting your $8k back if you don't like it then it's probably not for you either. A large part of MM's value was tied to its collectability and for many it won't be a collectable title any longer. In the HUO resale market you could expect to be competing with dozens of NIBs for years to come.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Havoc:

That's true you can't get better then the Orginal MM

#42 10 years ago

Rai,
I'm right there with you actually. I battled my doubts away and when it's time to commit I may have to do it again. I swore I would NEVER pay $8k for a game. Hell, 7 more like and truthfully, $6k. Lol. It never really entered my mind to buy a NIB Hobbit, but when I got into MMr I realized I could buy a Hobbit with $8K. And I considered it for about a minute. And yet...a brand spanking new Medieval Madness? $8K immediately became doable....and there is NO other machine I think that about. Bible or Tron LE? No freakinhg way. WOZ? Nope. HEP anything? Nope.

Even on a chewed up, messed up deck MM can be a blast. A NEW on? NEW?!?! These "refake" clowns are totally underestimating the power of "new" on this title. It's like a brand new Porche 911 Turbo Carrera compared to a used rice burner. A NEW MM! Yes, yes, goddamnit all YES!!!!

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

If you need deep rules then this isn't the pin for you. That could be said for many of the WPC95s, yet they're generally well-received.
If you're concerned about getting your $8k back if you don't like it then it's probably not for you either. A large part of MM's value was tied to its collectability and for many it won't be a collectable title any longer. In the HUO resale market you could expect to be competing with dozens of NIBs for years to come.

Totally disagree. The rules are deep enough and they are cohesive. VERY well thought out, lots to do, lots to stack....games to play within the game in achieving xtra balls...which are necessary to Battle the Kingdom. A secret wizard mode, a cool video mode.

In terms of value? Yes, I agree you won't recoup your investment. But you won't want to. The only reason to sell MM is if someone offers you stupid $$ for it. Now that that's not an option, MM will be the ultimate keeper game. Or fantastic trade bait in the secondary market.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

After expo, 5 of my local friends bought this and were super excited. At this point, only 1 is still in. I'm sure that trend is not a localized phenomenon. Ricks mistake was announcing the regulars. It became clear that there was no reason to preorder when you'll be able to pick up a new mmr anytime.

And I'm barley still in on it... There are at least three other cheaper pins I want and now knowing I can just buy this later makes me not so exited about my LE. At all

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Havoc:

Yeah, and every machine you own is older than the original MM. Right.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I'm going to disagree here. The rules are actually quite deep and have a lot of strategy especially in collecting all the elements before starting a madness mb. The destruction of all the castles is only one of the inserts required for battle the kingdom. These are Lyman rules and they're some of the best Williams has ever created in my opinion.

#47 10 years ago

I cannot wait for the damn game. The old MM is just a ticking time bomb of repair and more expensive. Now a sweet as clear coated pf and same game parts (pf and on top). F it. I'd rather have this new one, than the old one. All the older games always have something break... I already own enough pins I worry about breaking.

#48 10 years ago

I'm hanging in so far, but the inability to customize colors with changeable insert sockets is really lame. For that reason alone, I hesitate.

#49 10 years ago

I am out. I found a really nice scared stiff and went with a bird in the hand. I was very excited at first, but got a little apprehensive at the board situation. I decided I would rather see how it plays out and possibly get a standard after I see and feel one myself. I wish them all the best and hope they are a hit. I would love one eventually.

#50 10 years ago

Ordered an LE, pondered getting out, but ultimately this is one of the best pinballs of all time and will be a great addition to my collection.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 9.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-over-the-mmr-rush-or-having-second-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.