(Topic ID: 182560)

Anyone noticed that non-polymer containing waxes have...dried up?

By Frax

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    51hoyKcSCaL._AC_US160_ (resized).jpg
    Mothers back (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

So....seriously, went to 4 separate stores today and several the other day. AutoZone and O'Reilly Auto Parts are now no longer carrying ANY paste wax other than the cheapy 6$ toothpaste looking Turtle Wax, that is either NOT: cleaner wax OR containing polymer additives. Neither is Wal-Mart, at least in my area. And now today I'm looking at amazon and can't find Maguire's Gold Class anymore either...NOW it's Magire's Gold Class PLUS! Guess what the PLUS is.....yeah...added polymers.

Maybe Vid or someone can chime in here. If I put this crap on my games, and then later go to clearcoat, is it going to cause ridiculous fisheyes, or should I just chill the hell out and go with it? It looks like we are running out of reasonably priced options to obtain pinball wax in our local areas without having to go to extreme lengths. I needed wax TONIGHT... I bought the turtle wax, but I don't think I'm even going to use it. It's soft and goopy and freaks me the hell out. I don't want to put this crap on Farfalla... means I get to miss both of my off days to work on my games 3 weeks before TPF because Amazon can't deliver the Mothers brand, which apparently IS still available for the moment, until Friday. >=-\

#2 7 years ago

It is still Winter (in the North), retailers most likely are not replenishing new inventory until Spring.

#3 7 years ago

Yup it sucks. Been that way in my area for awhile. Had to order off the internet...

#4 7 years ago

I had to buy the Mothers 05550 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Paste (Ultimate Wax System, Step 3) - 12 oz. from Amazon.

None of the auto parts stores had it and neither did Walmart.

Mothers back (resized).jpgMothers back (resized).jpg

And then, by mistake, the outfit sent me the Mothers 05500 California Gold Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax - 12 oz. instead.

51hoyKcSCaL._AC_US160_ (resized).jpg51hoyKcSCaL._AC_US160_ (resized).jpg

The supplier made it right and told me to keep the other stuff. I suggested that perhaps they want to make sure 05550 product is not setting on the shelf next to the 05500 stuff.

#5 7 years ago

S100 works well and is a decent price.
    I use Meguiars D300 followed by a couple coats of S100.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

But how does it smell!?

#7 7 years ago

Stop. Don't make stupid mistakes you are going to regret. Just don't even bother. I was the ultimate "over-eager-I-need-this-done-now" guy a while back and even recently (on two occasions! lol) I ran out of Novus and drove 50 minutes one way up to the nearest store that carried it. Thankfully I found the big bottles the second time and bought a ton of them and even some of the little ones too just incase I wanted to use 3 for anything outside of playfields. Having that kind of desire (not the one just mentioned but the thing before that) and craving in pinball can mess so much irreplaceable shit up, especially playfields, I've seen people do it a lot and I've done it myself as well. Farfalla is a rare game (here?) as well, don't destroy something that has been fine for 33 years, have patience.

Just take it slow and order it online, you are not out of options, just out of options locally. My local AutoZone still carries the non-cleaner wax, make sure you look hard enough as sometimes it is not right next to it and can be a little hard to find.

Ordering online will allow you to get the best product you can and provide limitless choices at good prices.

#8 7 years ago

Oh it's definitely NOT there. I checked shelf labels as well, lol. I'm just a wee bit obsessive about things like that.

I went ahead and dropped the 6 bucks for the turtle wax because it wasn't much money and I wanted to test it on something else first! Just happens that I have an old playfield for a game that's not fit to be used in a machine and that I can test with. I'm not putting this dookie on Farfalla, period....but it might MAYBE suffice for my beater car or something that has something resembling a car finish *Already*. I'll see what happens with it, as I'm genuinely curious and this other playfield has no value as anything but wall art already, and I'm relatively confident that it won't just melt paint.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Looks like blitz may still be in stock here:
    http://www.bimmertools.com/One-Grand-Blitz-Carnauba-Wax-12-oz-Jar-p/10202.htm
    I haven't ordered from there before, though.

Yep per vid1900 I use Blitz

#11 7 years ago

I haven't found pure carnauba wax in stores here since I started looking over three years ago.

#12 7 years ago

Or get some Blitz in your next Pinball Life order
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4292

#14 7 years ago

LMAO! how the hell do they refill it?!

#15 7 years ago

One word: Amazon Prime

If you are in dallas you can probly have it delivered same day.

#16 7 years ago

Nope...nothing suitable on prime now. Stuck with 2 day shipping.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mahoyvan:

But how does it smell!?

I bought some a couple months ago and sniffed it. It smells not so good. Is it supposed to be this way? I haven't used it yet.

#18 7 years ago

Must be a location issue, I can get Meguire's, P21S, Pinnacle, and Collinite today and the Mothers products tomorrow in ATL.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-noticed-that-non-polymer-containing-waxes-havedried-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.