(Topic ID: 124253)

Anyone NOT use head bolts? (in their late model Williams games)

By joemagiera

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Homepin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

large.jpg
    20150412_185320.jpg
    draw-latch-boats-stainless-steel-26885-204631.jpg
    rear back box damage.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joemagiera.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

My game room is severely space confined. I have a wall game that I want to put some pinball games in front of. But to not completely shut out and lose the wall game, I am considering not using the head bolts in my pinball games and just using the flip latch on the back of the head that attaches to the body (games are Star Trek Next Gen and Tales Of The Arabian Nights). This would allow for quick access to the wall game if desired and then quick access back to the pins, just fold head up and latch, or unlatch and down. No need to go into the head and use the head bolts.

Does anyone not use the head bolts (and just use the latch) in their late model Williams games? Any experiences either way? I was thinking about players that might be shakers and nudgers. Does the latch keep it secure enough? Any other considerations?

Any input/opinions much appreciated. Thanks,

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
    [email protected]

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from brad808:

It would be simple to install a proper latch that wouldn't shake loose. There are a million different styles of safety latches that require you to remove a pin or press a release in order for the latch to let loose. You can even install 2 safety latches one towards the left of the back box one towards the right to make it nice and secure. There is next to no chance that two properly installed safety latches would ever let loose accidentally and it would avoid having to go in through the front and remove the bolts.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm trying to come up with a reasonably secure, but fast solution. Middle of a game party and someone is really wanting to play the other game. I don't want to be messing with taking the translite out, dealing with the bolts. I might try the two latch idea that a few have suggested.

#94 9 years ago
    Quoted from mattosborn:

I've read Joe's post a few times now, and I'm not getting it.... How does being able to quickly fold down the head help his situation? Maybe I'm just being dense, but I can't picture it. Maybe Joe or somebody else can chime in and help the mentally challenged....

Hi,

Ok, this is a long (42 minutes) video of my game room, don't bother watching it unless you're into video games:

To see the problem, skip and watch 25:00 - 27:30 time.
    I want put pins in front of the wall game. When people want to play the wall game, I want to be able to quickly fold down the heads of the pinball games (two games would fit in front of the wall game). Then if people wanted to play the pins, I want to be able to fold the heads up. And yes, in the video, I do say the wall game gets non-stop play at game parties, but I want to add two more pins to my basement!

In a party environment, in my cramped basement, I want to be able to do that quickly and easily. Take the translites out and set them down, I'd have to take them out of the room. Then put in the head bolts, tighten, put the translite back in. 45 seconds? ha! I challenge anyone to do it 5 minutes in that situation. This while I'm entertaining the guests, coining up games that don't have a free play (that people can't figure out how to trigger the coin switch), making popcorn, cleaning up spilled drinks, saying hi or by to people coming or going. I want something fast!

Now, as to thinking outside the box, I like Vince (Korn's) solution. Would take some planning and such. I don't think I'll do it that way, but I do like it. I'm just not that "constructionally enabled", or maybe I'm "constructionally challenged"?

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
    [email protected]

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joemagiera.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-not-use-head-bolts-in-their-late-model-williams-games?tu=joemagiera and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.