004.JPG
005.JPG
CVpinball9.jpg
CVpinball8.jpg
CVpinball7.jpg
DSC_0265.JPG

#1 12 years ago

Hi All,

Thinking of modding my CV with some LED's because it's such a colorful game. I've used LEDs in different pins (mainly for inserts) so I don't have a problem with them in general, but I was slightly afraid of going over the top. However, I've seen Tatman's avatar on here and it's pushing me towards doing the mod again.

If you've done it, can you please let me know how it turned out for you, and what type of LED's you've used?

Thanks in advance.

#2 12 years ago

Hi

Mine came with LED's all over, though poorly done and I really didn't like it. Lots of the inserts were mismatched in color with the LEDs, and the GI had the blue hue all over. I decided on normal bulbs for the GI, and went PBL Ablaze 3x LED's for all the inserts. A few of the inserts I think might also be from BCS Pinball though. Either way, I love it now. It was definitely proof for me that LED's can really suck if not done right.

#3 12 years ago

Cointaker has the kits... for the entire game...PF, inserts, colorchanging backbox... CoinTaker.com

Phoebe

#4 12 years ago

You have to be careful with CV. It has the potential to look great with LEDs, but I've seen several examples that were WAY too bright.

#5 12 years ago

I've done mine, as with all my games, and it looks great. The insert use on CV really deserves LEDs. Get a 13 stack green flasher for the RM head. Many visible bulbs in the GI however, so make sure you use frosted for those.

#6 12 years ago

Yeah, I did mine up. I like it, some don't. You just got to go with what you want.

DSC_0265.JPGDSC_0265.JPG

#7 12 years ago

I liked the Cointaker super bright kit for the inserts, but I had to swap out the Ultrabrites they included for under the six "Cirqus" letters, as they were too bright for me. Someone else may think those Ultrabrites were fine though, so your mileage may vary.

#8 12 years ago

Wow is that a kit or your own design, love it!

#9 12 years ago

Here's what I did to mine

CVpinball7.jpgCVpinball7.jpg CVpinball8.jpgCVpinball8.jpg CVpinball9.jpgCVpinball9.jpg

#10 12 years ago

I used frosted PBL in the inserts,I had 3 ablaze and it was way to bright for me gave me a headache .
I have Cointakers reto's in the GI. I also switched the green neon to a 3 color neon in pic 3.
005.JPG005.JPG 004.JPG004.JPG P1010076.JPGP1010076.JPG

#11 12 years ago

RobT that looks amazing.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#12 12 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Wow is that a kit or your own design, love it!

I don't care for kits, but it does make it easy if you never used LED's before.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I liked the Cointaker super bright kit for the inserts, but I had to swap out the Ultrabrites they included for under the six "Cirqus" letters, as they were too bright for me. Someone else may think those Ultrabrites were fine though, so your mileage may vary.

Cointaker insert kit looks great. I also swapped out six cirqus plus nine marvels with color matching and white frosted. Was too bright in your face as supers during game play. This game begs to be LEDed.

#14 12 years ago

Rob, the CV looks great. What did you use under the inserts. Very tasteful and the accents in all the right places. I used some Cointaker Ultra Brights in my ToM by the curtains (red and purple). They are great for highlighting areas but have to be used sparingly.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Yeah, I did mine up. I like it, some don't. You just got to go with what you want.

Attachments DSC_0265.JPG (295.5 KB, 0 downloads) 1 hour old

If mine looked like this, I'd actually sell it. blech! Totally kills the green/purple primary color scheme of the game.

RobT, tat: you can also add colors to the marvel inserts. I alternated green and purple #44's--the color seems to fit in with the rest of the scheme without being glaring, more than the original clear/white lit inserts.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

If mine looked like this, I'd actually sell it. blech! Totally kills the green/purple primary color scheme of the game.

The pic was taken in a room full of neon, so it looks much brighter than it is in person. Different strokes I guess....Still, it's not as bad as guys that put stuffed animals on their pins.

#17 12 years ago

Everyone, thanks for the recommendations and the pics, especially. I really appreciate your sharing with me. I'll have to do some studying over the weekend and see what kind of style I want to go with. I think CT supers or something of that brightness for the inserts makes sense, with the exception of the Cirqus/Marvel inserts, since they're right in front of the player. I also like Steven's point about colors under marvel inserts.

Again, thanks all for the pics and assistance!

#18 12 years ago

Yes, and it looks fantastic. I think every game can be tremendously improved with LEDs. It takes a lot to put the right ones in, however. I don't believe those LED kits are good enough. I have a huge collection of LEDs, probably $3000 worth from cointaker and I LED each game uniquely. That's really the only way to get them to really look great.

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from sixsixtie:

RobT that looks amazing.

Thanks!

Quoted from Spankey:

Rob, the CV looks great. What did you use under the inserts. Very tasteful and the accents in all the right places. I used some Cointaker Ultra Brights in my ToM by the curtains (red and purple). They are great for highlighting areas but have to be used sparingly.

I used the high dollar stuff: NoFlix Plus from Germany!

Most of the GI was with the 3 LED from Pinball Life.

#20 12 years ago

Great job on that RobT! ....Tat and Honch looks good too, that's the great thing about it, you can make them all look different...

#21 12 years ago

When I purchased my CV the LEDs were already installed. Most inserts are LED, and no brighter than the original incandescents would have been. The colour is nicer, though. Absolutely no LEDs in the GI and I prefer it that way so there is no evidence the game has LEDs. Even warm white GI LEDs give the game an eerie look that I don't like.

A friend had a really nice CV with super bright LEDs under the inserts. It looks like a beautiful work of art but you absolutely cannot play it in low ambient lighting conditions.

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from wbradley:

When I purchased my CV the LEDs were already installed. Most inserts are LED, and no brighter than the original incandescents would have been. The colour is nicer, though. Absolutely no LEDs in the GI and I prefer it that way so there is no evidence the game has LEDs. Even warm white GI LEDs give the game an eerie look that I don't like.

A friend had a really nice CV with super bright LEDs under the inserts. It looks like a beautiful work of art but you absolutely cannot play it in low ambient lighting conditions.

This is what drives me nuts about LEDs. The adversely impact the playing experience. Not just the brightness, but many games I've played have the flicker/strobe effect going on. And some LED jobs (not yours, from the sound of it) are TOO bright, and wash out the mellow, balanced artwork of the game. I find the 'white' LEDs work best on games that have a blue color scheme, but really look 'off' on games with warmer colors (yellow/red/orange).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-mod-a-cv-with-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.