(Topic ID: 294267)

Anyone made their own ribbon cables?

By oldschoolbob

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7150 (resized).JPG
    connector (resized).JPG
    IMG_3954 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I need to do some testing on my Stern sound board. (SB-100) I find it difficult to work inside the backbox. I need a long set of cables (36 inches). I thought about making a set of cables with connectors on both ends but the thought of making 64 crimp connectors kills that idea. I have found 16 conductor ribbon cable but I can’t find the end connectors. Anyone have an idea who supplies 16 pin female single row connectors?

Thanks

Bob

#3 2 years ago

Thanks

Do you have a link? All I can find in female connectors is double row.

Bob

#5 2 years ago

Did you use crimp connectors or ribbon cable with IDC connectors?

Thank you

Bob

#8 2 years ago

I think the ribbon cable is the way to go - fast and easy. It's not permanent - just for testing.

Coyote, I found 16 conductor ribbon cable but I can't find 16 pin single row female connectors. Where do you get your connectors?

Thanks

Bob

#15 2 years ago

I thought about using just one row in a double row connector but the way I understand the data sheet is the rows are odd/even. Bottom row would be for conductors 1-3-5-7 etc. Top rows would be for conductors 2-4-6-8 etc.

connector (resized).JPGconnector (resized).JPG

These connectors must be available somewhere. GPE sells 16 conductor single row ribbon cables. But they are only 13 inches.

Quench, I remember that thread well. I borrowed his cables when I worked on my Magic game.

IMG_3954 (resized).JPGIMG_3954 (resized).JPG
    #16 2 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

The manufacturer for my cables will make these any length you want but you need to buy 500 at a time.

All I need then is to find 499 other people that need extra long cables.

Quoted from G-P-E:

Widest I have found available is about 20 pins wide so you will probably need to use connectors end to end - so make sure they are sized for end to end clearance.

I don't mind cables end to end. Seems to be the standard anyway. Do you know where I can get the 16 pin single row connectors? I've looked everywhere.

Ed, are the cables you have dis-assemble-able? Could I just re-use the connectors on new ribbon cables?

#18 2 years ago

Thanks Ed,

They are in Taiwan. I sent them a message. Hopefully I'll get an answer.

Bob

#20 2 years ago

If I don't hear back from Taiwan I'll go to plan "B" - make my own from single conductor wire. I just ordered 22 and 24 gauge wire. Which size would you use?

Quoted from Quench:

It will work provided you can find a dual row double connector long enough..

The way I understand the odd/even rows is I would have to seperate each conductor and insert them individually into an odd or even row.

Quoted from Quench:

If you were my neighbour I'd loan you my press
    In desperate times use a hammer and a block of wood (which I have done)

I've seen videos where they used a bench vice to press the wires in the connector. If that don't work maybe the next time I'm in your area I'll stop in and borrow your press.

Thanks

Bob

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

with a .05 pitch ribbon cable.

I didn't know about 0.05 pitch cable. Now it makes sense.

More research to do.

Thanks guys.

#24 2 years ago

After more research I found Ribbon cable seems to be 24 to 28 AWG. I couldn’t find any 22 AWG in ribbon cable.

0.05 pitch ribbon cable is 28 AWG = 64.9 ohms per 1000 feet - 0.22 ohms for 42 inches.

22 AWG = 16.14 ohms per 1000 feet - 0.05 ohms for 42 inches.

I was concerned the smaller wire may cause too much resistance in my new 42 inch test cables. I decided to make my own cables using 22 gauge wire. It was a slow process but I now have cables to test sound cards outside the backbox.

One set has two red wires - the other set has one red wire. Maybe that will keep me from reversing them.

I haven’t put them to the test yet but I have a sound card that isn’t working. Once the game is back together I’ll let you know how they work.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and input.

Bob

IMG_7150 (resized).JPGIMG_7150 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-made-their-own-ribbon-cables?tu=oldschoolbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.