(Topic ID: 84394)

Anyone loving Pinball FX2?

By Hazoff

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Lost_Civilization_Complete.jpg
    image-423.jpg
    image-229.jpg
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

I think these tables are really great, the StarWars and doctor strange, Hulk it's quite amazing. I know it can't compare to the real thing but good times. Anyone else???

#2 10 years ago

#3 10 years ago

I love Pinball FX 2. But TPA just wants to suck me into the real stuff. Anyway, I also have videos of some tables from the game, with the latest being Super League Football.

3 months later
    #4 9 years ago

The Deadpool table has LOADS of humor; this one is a definite buy.

#5 9 years ago

I love Pinball FX2, much more than The Pinball Arcade. As much as I love playing "real" tables on TPA, I've always thought that Pinball FX2 has much better game physics in it. I've bought ever single table release for PFX2 on the Xbox 360. My current favorites are Secrets of the Deep, Han Solo, World War Hulk, and Super Soccer League.

#6 9 years ago

Have not played in some time but the STAR WARS in your video is fantastic. Fantastic Four is a good table . ' Fear is awesome . THOR is a trip .I own all tables except the new STAR WARS pack and Dead Pool . I played Pinball FX2 so much I had to put foam strip on the XBOX RB & LB buttons as my fingers would get sore. Use the RB and LB for better flipper response over the triggers.

#9 9 years ago

I bought all the tables during the Summer Sale. Really enjoy nearly all of them. Some are OK, but for the most part, they're a lot of fun. Really love Paranormal and Earth Defense.

#10 9 years ago

some are pretty cool, but I have a flipper delay on my wireless keyboard. like you press the shift and 1/2 second later the flipper flips. makes it unplayable. I tried a different wired keyboard and it was fine but I don't want to change keyboards when I want to play.
    anyone else have the same issues?

#11 9 years ago

Best reason to have a vp
    Love it

#12 9 years ago

My user name is gimera if anyone wants to add each other on Steam

#13 9 years ago

My son and I love FX2. I also like TPA for my iPad, because that's the only exposure I'll get to some of the tables.

But, FX2 takes pinball to a completely different level. It respects pinball in its most basic form, but elevates it with various special effects. Well worth the few bucks here and there for a new table.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballwiz45b:

The Deadpool table has LOADS of humor; this one is a definite buy.

I agree, this is a fun table!

#15 9 years ago

My issue with the Deadpool table is that if you hit that center ramp shot when the slot/drop isn't open for a mode, there's a strong chance at a SDTM drain. Since nudging is sort of useless in FX2, I get really frustrated by that, ha.

#16 9 years ago

Why is nudging useless? Also, the ball cannot fit through the flippers when they are pointed to each other so a perfectly times double flip can save any middle drain.

#17 9 years ago

I've been working on a PinballFX machine lately.

Can't wait to get it finished.

image-229.jpgimage-229.jpg image-423.jpgimage-423.jpg
    #18 9 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Why is nudging useless? Also, the ball cannot fit through the flippers when they are pointed to each other so a perfectly times double flip can save any middle drain.

I've never been able to save a ball via nudging. I also don't like the way it warns you - I'm never really sure if I need to be careful or not as in a real table.

I did not know that a double flip means the ball can't get through...That may make me enjoy the Deadpool table now, ha.

#19 9 years ago

It seems like you can play them all way too long in comparison to real machines. Missed shots against posts and such don't fire back as hard as in real machines, so little risk. Also the slings are not dangerous in launching the ball to the side drains.

It's cool all you can do with them though. I really wish this would get perfected and look real, as I could ditch all the real ones for $40 tables and no maintenance.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from rockrand:

Best reason to have a vp
    Love it

Can you fully control it with the cabinet easily yet? The first time I tried FX2 on the vpin was some time ago and the menu system wasn't entirely cabinet friendly.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Can you fully control it with the cabinet easily yet? The first time I tried FX2 on the vpin was some time ago and the menu system wasn't entirely cabinet friendly.

Yes. 4 arrow keys, enter, escape, and tab.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

It seems like you can play them all way too long in comparison to real machines. Missed shots against posts and such don't fire back as hard as in real machines, so little risk. Also the slings are not dangerous in launching the ball to the side drains.
    It's cool all you can do with them though. I really wish this would get perfected and look real, as I could ditch all the real ones for $40 tables and no maintenance.

It depends on the table design. These are not real tables so you can't say they aren't like real machines. Are you saying its impossible to make a real game with weak slings? I'm sure you aren't saying that. Some of the tables have very fast evil slings (dead pool, Star Wars ep4, Star Wars return of jedi). It's just how the table designer chooses to make his tables. Rather than focusing on short ball times to drain quarters, some of these focus on difficult to achieve goals.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Quoted from markmon:

Yes. 4 arrow keys, enter, Escape, and tab.

I'd have to add more buttons to cover that. But good to know.

#23 9 years ago

I think the ball is too "heavy" in Pinbal FX. Something isn't right. TPA feels better, but makes shots for you too much by sucking it up a ramp that it wouldn't make it up.

Of course, they have to do this so that millennials don't throw their tablets down in disgust and never play again.

#24 9 years ago

Plus they are going to have The Walking Dead soon!

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I am so irritated with myself

Once upon a time I stumbled across a 4 segment pushbutton that utilized only one standard hole. The surface however was about 50%+ larger, perfect for this application.

I believe it was for a poker machine or crane machine.

I think PinballX can control PinballFX however which would eliminate the need for more,buttons right?

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

It depends on the table design. These are not real tables so you can't say they aren't like real machines. Are you saying its impossible to make a real game with weak slings? I'm sure you aren't saying that. Some of the tables have very fast evil slings (dead pool, Star Wars ep4, Star Wars return of jedi). It's just how the table designer chooses to make his tables. Rather than focusing on short ball times to drain quarters, some of these focus on difficult to achieve goals.

The ones I have watched just seem to have these similar issues. You don't seem to get a lot of the reactions from the ball that you do in real life, which again adds to longer play. I get that this is still coming along, and not perfect yet, and for those that have only a few machines or none, it's great that they are where they are, but they still feel a long way away from the real thing. Lots of cool stuff you would never be able to do with a real machine though as well.

There is virtually no video game that has come close to properly simulating any type of ball and how it reacts that I've ever played.

#27 9 years ago

Have to play them In portrait mode. But yeah, they rock. Really awesome in a cabinet.

#28 9 years ago

nope. sucks.
    Both of these pinball simulators are horribly laggy on my hardware... which can run Bioshock Infinite at full resolution. I've tried several times to use google info to "fix" the flipper lag only to give up.
    Done with these POS simulators.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

nope. sucks.
    Both of these pinball simulators are horribly laggy on my hardware... which can run Bioshock Infinite at full resolution. I've tried several times to use google info to "fix" the flipper lag only to give up.

If you are running Nvidia cards try setting maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 and turn Vsync off. Works like a champ.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

nope. sucks.

Hmm, I run 60fps even on my Surface Pro (1) Tablet that only has an integrated HD Graphics 4000 . I have very responsive flippers.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from shakenbake:

If you are running Nvidia cards try setting maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 and turn Vsync off. Works like a champ.

Yeap; tried both. still not quiet right.
    Maybe I'll try again one day.

#32 9 years ago

Like fx2 quite a bit. Not all tables mind you but many. Love the SW tables - sound, design, art, ramps. Would love a real version of ESB or Darth Vader.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Yeap; tried both. still not quiet right.
    Maybe I'll try again one day.

Flipper lag has very little to do with PC power or framed rate. It's more related to the time between the input event and the display shows the reaction. The monitor can be a big part of it. So might be the input device. You can have 300 fps and still input lag.

Quoted from epthegeek:

You don't even have 7 buttons on your cabinet? Tab is optional. It's used for navigating leaderboards without keyboard. If you have the buttons, remapping the keys is trivial - even in a per app basis.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I think these tables are really great, the StarWars and doctor strange, Hulk it's quite amazing. I know it can't compare to the real thing but good times. Anyone else???

yep they are pretty cool. i even like the original table, Sorcerers Lair. its got a ton of stuff on it, and some nice shots

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I've tried several times to use google info to "fix" the flipper lag only to give up.

I play on a console XBOX 360 input lag is not bad at all. Just for fun here is a link to input lag for HD TV & monitors

Quoted from markmon:Flipper lag has very little to do with PC power or framed rate. It's more related to the time between the input event and the display shows the reaction.

http://www.displaylag.com/

#36 9 years ago

I recently picked up Super League Football and I've been having a lot of fun with it. Lots of cool mechanics which make the gameplay interesting. I usually have had my fill after a couple of games, mostly because the ball times are pretty long. My biggest gripe is the sound, which I think is really lacking.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

You don't even have 7 buttons on your cabinet? Tab is optional. It's used for navigating leaderboards without keyboard. If you have the buttons, remapping the keys is trivial - even in a per app basis.

I don't have an arrangement that makes obvious sense for arrow keys. That'd be the part I'd want to alter.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I don't have an arrangement that makes obvious sense for arrow keys. That'd be the part I'd want to alter.

So you don't have two flipper buttons per side? That's your obvious arrangement. And the easiest solution is to just permanently change those 4 buttons in the ipac (or equivalent) to the arrows. Every other menu system and software can deal with those being arrows just fine.

#39 9 years ago

Markmon

PinballX is an option for epthegeek if he wants to avoid buttons right?

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Markmon
    PinballX is an option for epthegeek if he wants to avoid buttons right?

Yeah, I should look into setting that up. I just have hyperpin on it currently for pinmame.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Yeah, I should look into setting that up. I just have hyperpin on it currently for pinmame.

When you get it working let me know... So you can get it working on my cabinet

I prefer to avoid additional buttons too. An exit game button is all I want to add to my machines stock layout.

#42 9 years ago

So for pinmame, you can't play games like shadow, Johnny mnemonic, judge dredd, or anything that requires extra buttons? And if you can, you can easily set up navigation in pinball fx. It takes about 5 minutes (no exaggeration) to swap hyperpin, VP, and any other crap like FP those launch to use arrows instead of control / shift.

The pinballx route isn't good. It loads pinball fx per game going through the splash screens, loading screens etc. Then each time new games come out and the layout changes, the scripts need to update. Changing from one game to the next is a hassle also having to reload all those screens each time.

#43 9 years ago

Lag. Lag. Lag.

They all look great but ALL TVs have lag. No matter how good your computer/ps4/xbox.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

yep they are pretty cool. i even like the original table, Sorcerers Lair. its got a ton of stuff on it, and some nice shots

Yeah I really like that one too, Secrets of the Deep is great and MoonKnight is also very cool. I would love to see the older StarTrek films as tables, Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock etc.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I would love to see the older StarTrek films

Oh yeah, that would be sweet. If they gave Star Trek the same treatment they game Star Wars with these tables, I'd be in heaven. Also a G1 Transformers table would be cool, too.

Re: lag
    I dunno, maybe it's because my VPCabs mini cab has a 29" monitor in it?... but I'm just not experiencing the lag that everyone keeps talking about. Pinball FX2 plays awesome on this cabinet. I also played one of VPCabs full size models at a show and didn't experience any lag.

Last night I was jumping between playing my real F-14 Tomcat pin and playing Pinball FX2 on the virtual pin...didn't feel awkward or anything. Perhaps it's because I primarily play video games? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what is being referring to as lag?

All I know is I'm having fun, my kids are having fun, and I'm loving the hobby.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from mbott1701:

Oh yeah, that would be sweet. If they gave Star Trek the same treatment they game Star Wars with these tables, I'd be in heaven. Also a G1 Transformers table would be cool, too.
    Re: lag
    I dunno, maybe it's because my VPCabs mini cab has a 29" monitor in it?... but I'm just not experiencing the lag that everyone keeps talking about. Pinball FX2 plays awesome on this cabinet. I also played one of VPCabs full size models at a show and didn't experience any lag.
    Last night I was jumping between playing my real F-14 Tomcat pin and playing Pinball FX2 on the virtual pin...didn't feel awkward or anything. Perhaps it's because I primarily play video games? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what is being referring to as lag?
    All I know is I'm having fun, my kids are having fun, and I'm loving the hobby.

All displays inherently have some type of input lag. Input lag is the delay between a button press and seeing the game react. Different displays have varying amount of input lag, and the lag can become even worse when additional processing (motion enhancing, sharpening, etc) is used. For this reason, many displays have a "game mode" which seeks to minimize the lag. TVs are usually the biggest offender with input lag, much more so over PC monitors.

I used to have issues with my TV and the Pinball Arcade on PS3, but once I changed it to game mode, I didn't have any issues with lag.

3 weeks later
    #47 9 years ago

Well I know the xbox version has been delayed, but you guys should enjoy it. X360 purchased tables can be moved to Xbone free...

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/07/29/pinball-fx2-delayed-on-xbox-one-devs-adding-table-transfers/

[quote]Pinball FX2 won't be pulling plungers and flipping flippers on July 31 after all, developer Zen Studios announced on its blog. But before you go full tilt on the comments section, know that it's for a good reason: Zen Studios is using the extra development time to implement table transfers so that players who purchased a table for the Xbox 360 version of FX2 will be able to move that table to the Xbox One, free of charge.

Zen Studios doesn't expect the implementation of the feature to take long, as the Pinball FX2 release date has only been pushed back to "sometime in August," nebulous though that date may be. "We do apologize for the delay while we create the Pinball FX2 experience that our fans both want and deserve," the Zen Studios blog reads. "We're excited to bring Pinball FX2 to Xbox One owners, to have their previous purchases honored and transferred, and we can't wait to share with you what we've got coming in the future."[/quote]

#48 9 years ago

Damn. I was actually excited about tomorrow - but glad I'll be able to transfer my tables now.

#49 9 years ago

Guardians of the galaxy zen table comes out soon for ios! Tomorrow I think.

2 weeks later
    #50 9 years ago

BOOYAAAA

http://blog.zenstudios.com/?p=4777

available for XBONE!

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-loving-pinball-fx2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.