(Topic ID: 260374)

Anyone *literally* have one bolted to the floor?

By Time

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Jappie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9.jpg
    8.jpg
    littlejuju (resized).jpg
    45 (resized).jpg
    243362_4151985435641_2045783859_o (resized).jpg
    20170120_093219.jpg
    5E19CC8B-E3A0-4785-B472-F82895E22D03 (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

I keep reading posts saying the game is "bolted to the floor." Sure I've believed that myself and then later sold one. Got me wondering though, has that ever actually been a thing? Where does the phrase come from? And what do you do, remove the feet and thread a bold down from the top?

#2 4 years ago

Figure of speech. Nobody actually does that with pins.

#3 4 years ago

That might explain some of these cabs breaking apart.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Time:

... is "bolted to the floor."

Means that the owner of the game is going to keep it 'forever', IE not selling it.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Time:

Anyone *literally* have one bolted to the floor?

No. That would be really dumb.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Time:

I keep reading posts saying the game is "bolted to the floor." Sure I've believed that myself and then later sold one. Got me wondering though, has that ever actually been a thing? Where does the phrase come from? And what do you do, remove the feet and thread a bold down from the top?

I've often wondered this too!

Quoted from pinlink:

No. That would be really dumb.

Well, in my case I was thinking loss prevention on locations. But, I do rarely here of pins being stolen from Bowling Alley's and the such.

#7 4 years ago

I have a 1940's gas pump in front of my garage, I poured a slab and bolted it to the ground, otherwise it would "grow legs" for sure. No pins bolted down tho

#8 4 years ago

There was a thread on here a while (years?) back where someone posted pics of pins on location, maybe at a truck stop, where the games were held in place with large iron brackets actually bolted into the concrete floor. Can't seem to find it though.

#9 4 years ago

Recently played in a lasertag, a Star Wars Data East had the feets bolted to the concrete wall.
    Tried nudging, didn't work that well.

#10 4 years ago

My coin pusher came with hardware to bolt it to the floor.

#11 4 years ago

I always figured it would be cool to have a cocktail pin in a small RV maybe in place of the dining room table. In that case it would be best to have it bolted down for sure.

Edited for ridiculous autocorrect

#12 4 years ago

How about to lazy to haul them out of the basement?

#13 4 years ago

It would probably eliminate tilting...and nudging.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I always figured it would be cool to have a chivalry pin in a small RV maybe in place of the dining room table. In that case it would be best to have it bolted down for sure.

Also makes a great extra bed to sleep one more in the RV. Just make sure it’s tempered glass!

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

I have a 1940's gas pump in front of my garage, I poured a slab and bolted it to the ground, otherwise it would "grow legs" for sure. No pins bolted down tho

I bought this a while back planning to turn it into a EV charger and put it outside. I was suppose to buy a junk one I wouldn’t worry about. That didn’t happen and I’ve got more into this stupid thing than some pins I’ve owned. It’s not outside charging my car now for the very reason you mentioned. I’ve been looking for another junker to actually place outside. So far I guess we can agree Gas Pumps do *literally* get bolted to the floor (outside). Coin pushers as well.

5E19CC8B-E3A0-4785-B472-F82895E22D03 (resized).jpeg5E19CC8B-E3A0-4785-B472-F82895E22D03 (resized).jpeg
    #16 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

It would probably eliminate tilting...and nudging.

You could bolt it and leave it a little loose right? Allowing a little nudging.

Quoted from AxelBlonde:

Recently played in a lasertag, a Star Wars Data East had the feets bolted to the concrete wall.
    Tried nudging, didn't work that well.

How were the feet attached to the wall?

#17 4 years ago

The two re-imports I had were literally bolted to the floor (or wall). Hole drilled through the cabinet and two plates with a screw eye attached. I assume there were a lock and chain attached at some point. I'll see if I can find pics.

Edit: you can see the plate on the outside of the Addams. Sorry I dont have any closeups.

20170120_093219.jpg20170120_093219.jpg
    #18 4 years ago

No, my Centaur has been with me since early 80s. 3 houses not bolted.

#19 4 years ago

Back in the day, there was a local Holiday Inn with two pins (one was a Grand Prix; I forget the other) that were sitting leg-less on a broad carpeted (proper-height) shelf.

#20 4 years ago

Years ago at the toll road rest stop ( McDonalds) there were games on both ends. The pins were not bolted but rather chained together.

Edit: middle 1990s

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I always figured it would be cool to have a cocktail pin in a small RV maybe in place of the dining room table. In that case it would be best to have it bolted down for sure.
    Edited for ridiculous autocorrect

That's exactly what my friend Basil did. He sold the RV eventually but kept the pin.

243362_4151985435641_2045783859_o (resized).jpg243362_4151985435641_2045783859_o (resized).jpg
    #22 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Years ago at the toll road rest stop ( McDonalds) there were games on both ends. The pins were not bolted but rather chained together.
    Edit: middle 1990s

Makes sense. 24hr truck stop and truckers move heavy things all the time. A thief like that could more easily drive off with a pin compared to most.

#23 4 years ago

Years ago in the Netherlands there was an arcade that had 2 or 3 nonworking (Dutch made) pinball machines bolted to the ceiling.

I don't have pictures of it, maybe pinball news has some in the old articles (was around 2005).

#24 4 years ago

I'm not sure how the machines were secured but this how the Pacific Pinball Museum began. Pretty modest beginnings compared to where they are now.

45 (resized).jpg45 (resized).jpglittlejuju (resized).jpglittlejuju (resized).jpg
    #25 4 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

Years ago in the Netherlands there was an arcade that had 2 or 3 nonworking (Dutch made) pinball machines bolted to the ceiling.
    I don't have pictures of it, maybe pinball news has some in the old articles (was around 2005).

Here they are, during Dutch Pinball Open 2006. The only three examples of this model ever made. And people bolt them to the ceiling. Unplayable, maybe forever. A sad sight.

There is a story behind them, about people making unbelievably dumb decisions and having either too big egos, not enough brains or too small balls to take responsibility and correct their mistakes.
    8.jpg8.jpg9.jpg9.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-literally-have-one-bolted-to-the-floor?hl=sixtyfourbits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.