(Topic ID: 10995)

Anyone like Iron Man more than Spiderman?

By stevebighead

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1053.jpg
#1 12 years ago

The reason I ask is that I can buy a NIB Iron Man for the same price. I really like the looks of iron man but know most people think Spiderman is one of the best. For those of you who have owned both is Spiderman that much better?

#2 12 years ago

I own both so I think they are great together in a collection. Having said that, I "prefer" IM over SM - but I'm sure that opinion is in the minority. IM has shorter ball times and has a more "intense" feel to it compared to SM. I'm not familar with the game play of the 4 pins you currently own so I can't say how either would fit into your collection.

#3 12 years ago

IM is a blast to play but isn't quite as complete a game as SM. Plus the fact that it was made at the peak of Stern stripping down games meant the quality of the product is very low (clearcoat, plastic arch, PF support Pegs).

Still a very good game and I enjoyed mine but it is a notch below SM IMO.

#4 12 years ago

I already own a fast and brutal game (LW), so no real need for IM. SM has it all over IM. Pretty good mixed modes, lots of satisfying shots. One of Stern's best in the past decade (along with LOTR, WPT, WOF). What pisses me off about IM is even when playing it, it looks like it should have another flipper at the bottom of the orbit!

#5 12 years ago

I want to like IM a lot because it looks great. I don't think it is as much fun as SM though

#6 12 years ago

Very close call for me. They play very differently, with IM having the short ball times and SM having longer ball times.

Both are great. SM has the higher quality feel vs IM though.

#7 12 years ago

I should have mentioned I am putting it right next to a BDK so was wondering which would compliment the gameplay the most.

#8 12 years ago

I also enjoy IM better than SM, but like several have stated already, there is a bit of a quality feel difference. I still hold out hope that they'll do an LE version of IM someday. I'd be in big time if they did. I've not owned either, but played both a lot at PHOF. Good luck, I don't think you'd go wrong either way. Neither will be cheap though.

#9 12 years ago

I own IM and have played SM quite a bit. If I had to choose one, it would be IM. The reason is, IM is just the perfect combo of an EM feel (short ball times, randomness) and DMD games. Another reason I prefer IM is that I play against friends quite a bit, and IM is the great equalizer b/c of the randomness and brutal nature of the game.

#10 12 years ago

I play SM at least once every week and IM every day. Even though I play IM more, I can't get tired of it! (At least not yet anyway... ) Like Gusphan said, it's the perfect combo between EM and DMD play. Not to knock SM's awesomeness, it's just IM runs circles around SM's steady/deliberate play.
Plus, for those that say it is "cheap", you can do something about it like I did...
Make your own LE!

#11 12 years ago

Iron Man for me! It was my first NIB purchase and I got a Spidey a little later after that.
IM is still here and Spidey left after 4 weeks of me trying to love it per all the hype, but I just could not get into it. I replaced it with a similar layout game though, AFM and of course that one remains in the lineup. I know SM has a deeper rule-set and all but it's just not as much fun for me as IM. The sound package, Iron Monger bash toy, and war machine kickback, really make this a great game for me. It is a short ball time game for sure, but it does keep me on my toes and make me work to keep the ball in play.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

The reason I ask is that I can buy a NIB Iron Man for the same price. I really like the looks of Iron Man but know most people think spiderman is one of the best. For those of you who have owned both is spiderman that much better?

You should ask yourself what are you looking for more in your next game. If you're looking for quicker games with more random ball play pick up IM. If you don't mind playing a game a little longer and working your way through some goals the pick up Spidey.

Just looking at prices lately HUO SM's have been going for more then some NIB IM's so that's something else to consider.
IM is a really fun game when you add the shaker and some upgraded speakers. Do or Die is really good too but Do or Die MB was a bit of a let down. SM wizard modes are really well thought out and brought out the best in Lyman.

#13 12 years ago

Really can't go wrong either way.

The only bad choice would be getting an Iron Man Classic versus the Pro model.

#14 12 years ago

I wouldn't say I like IM more, but I probably like it as much as SM. Both very fun games!

#15 12 years ago

No not even close for me. SM is a much more polished game with a better designed playfield and an excellent ruleset. IMO IM will never be as widely loved as SM for the reasons mentioned above. Just my opinion as always to each their own. My suggestion would be to play each for a while see which you like better and make your decision from there.

#16 12 years ago

I have both and play SM more. I like IM a lot.

#17 12 years ago

I can't comment on SM, but I absolutely love IM! It really gets your adrenaline pumping with the pace, audio, and randomness. It's quite the rush when you figure out how to work the machine.

#18 12 years ago

I had both. Sm for longer but, I like them both the same. I could own an IM again sometime though.

#19 12 years ago

What really made me start thinking Iron Man was the pics of Nimblepin's IM.Truly a thing of beauty and made me say "I want that".

#20 12 years ago

was the pics of Nimblepin's IM.

Oh, you mean this OLD thing?

IMG_1053.jpgIMG_1053.jpg

#21 12 years ago

What do you have on there as the topper?

#22 12 years ago

Really depends on what you want in a pin. If you want a machine with great rules, custom callouts by J.K. Simmons, a hell of a lightshow, and oozing with flow then SM is the way to go. Otherwise if you want a machine that is super fast, brutally uncompromising, sounds great, and has excellent shaker motor integration then IM may be the way to go.

Personally, I would take SM over IM all day long. To me IM is a good pin and SM is a great one. But that's me. You should play both and come to your own conclusion.

#23 12 years ago

I could probably be on Team IM if you twisted my arm. Tough call for me. Tony Stark is definitely cooler than Peter Parker.

#24 12 years ago

I just could not get into IM as the newness wore off. The wizard mode is a countdown shoot up the middle. Just killed the game for me. I liked Jericho but it's a mini wizard mode and should have been the main one. I like SM better. Both games have good flow but IMHO SM just has better rules.

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

What do you have on there as the topper?

Here you go Allibaster...
The threads are really flying down the row as of late. I had to dig mine up from the third page already...
I guess you missed it.
Enjoy!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nimblepins-im-before-and-after-and-eventually-after-that-p

Still waiting for Cointaker to drop those Premiums...

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

The wizard mode is a countdown shoot up the middle. Just killed the game for me.

Thats not really the Wizard mode. The real Wizard mode is Do or Die multiball. I'd only seen it once the entire time I had the game & was kinda disappointed. Super Hero on SM kicks its ass & I like Battle Royal more then Do or Die or Jericho.

#27 12 years ago

Had both at the same time and got tired of IM and sold it, kept BSM. Gotta say, miss IM and might pick it up again, but SM is still more fun.

#28 12 years ago

I'll take SM over IM any day.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

I own IM and have played SM quite a bit. If I had to choose one, it would be IM. The reason is, IM is just the perfect combo of an EM feel (short ball times, randomness) and DMD games. Another reason I prefer IM is that I play against friends quite a bit, and IM is the great equalizer b/c of the randomness and brutal nature of the game.

i like games like that too. A game where if you play your cards right and the ball bounces your way...you could beat an "A" player on. A game like WCS94.....the cream has an easier chance to rise to the top.

#30 12 years ago

I love both games, but Spidey is a better game

#32 12 years ago

for me it comes down to these 2 main differences;

1. 2 vs 3 flippers
2. ramp time=game time

in that said, sometimes i want to play a 3 flipper ramp game like SM, sometimes i want a super fast 2 flipper machine IM.

they are the best of both worlds. you want 2 flippers or 3? lol
i think IM is more of a tournament machine out of the 2 for sure.

#33 12 years ago

I'll take a IM over SM any day. What other machine makes you complete all the modes on 1 ball? IM is a true players machine.

#34 12 years ago

I agree with what others have said.. these machines are too dissimilar to compare

#35 12 years ago

No offense to the IM owners....great looking machine NP, a custom beauty!.......but it's not even close IMHO

SM is one of the best machines ever made, it's a slight hair behind LOTR......

For me, I'll take BDK over IM but I guess if you want more challenging shorter ball times then IM is it...

#36 12 years ago

SM and IM may be the "apples and oranges" of pinball.

#37 12 years ago

How do you get Do or Die multiball?

You have to get all of the character inserts flashing (completed). Basically collecting the super's for each character and completing the Stand up's twice on one ball for Drone's and Iron Man. Very difficult, you basically have to attack the game a little bit differently then you would normally.

I guess in a way Jericho could be considered the wizard mode but to me the most difficult to achieve goal has always been considered the wizard mode.

#39 12 years ago

Jericho mode gets my blood pumpin' for sure.. especially with a subwoofer installed

#40 12 years ago

IM is just the perfect combo of an EM feel (short ball times, randomness) and DMD games

Yup, I like the simple and f*%$ing fast explosive gameplay of IM better. SM is a great game too, but I love the simple difficulty of IM more. I like the EM comparison, it's like an EM on speed, with magnets!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-like-iron-man-more-than-spiderman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.