(Topic ID: 302262)

Anyone know where to get star decals for Williams bank drop targets?

By wolverinetuner

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

568E5BFE-7C1E-4B6B-ACD4-6A7E66ADA282 (resized).png
20211017_092147.jpg
CD41AD6C-2EE9-4F4E-89C5-F2C478A1E66C (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

The early Williams drop target banks on Big Deal, Argosy, and Hot Tip had red drop targets with a white star on each of them. These were Williams’ first drop target banks, not just individual drop target units, and the targets are “L”-shaped at the bottom. I have a Hot Tip and a Big Deal, and all I’ve been able to find is replacements without the white star, which I have purchased. Does anyone know of a source for decals with the white star? (The originals didn’t have decals, the star was printed on them.)

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Pinsider TractorDoc makes decals for classic Stern drops and spinners. If you give him the dimensions he might be willing to make decals for you

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Pinsider TractorDoc makes decals for classic Stern drops and spinners. If you give him the dimensions he might be willing to make decals for you

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind if no one has a source that already makes or has them. I didn’t know TractorDoc did that. That very well might be what I have to do, I’ve done some searching and haven’t found any for sale. I might also try painting on the star and putting mylar over them, but I fear how poorly that might turn out. Just maybe there’s a ready-made supplier out there somewhere I haven’t seen….

#4 2 years ago

If you know somebody with a Cameo or Cricut cutting machine, then they could cut some out in self-adhesive vinyl for you. Maybe put a couple of coats of lacquer on them afterward to seal and protect them too. I make some of my own on a Cameo and have not had any issues so far.

#5 2 years ago

If you can recreate the graphic, bring it to a local printshop, they should be able to print you some on automotive vinyl.

That’s what I did to finish the resto of a 1963 Big Deal. The drop target decals were worn out.

Alberto

CD41AD6C-2EE9-4F4E-89C5-F2C478A1E66C (resized).jpegCD41AD6C-2EE9-4F4E-89C5-F2C478A1E66C (resized).jpeg
#6 2 years ago

I am following this thread. I have a hot tip EM with those drop targets with the stars on them and ran into the same issue a couple years back when I need to replace a broken target. I cut out a stencil and painted the star on and then gave it a couple coats of clear. It was OK for a while but then the paint started to wear off.

#7 2 years ago

I know that the Cameo has it's own, easy to use, software so the design side is simple enough. And yes, I use the 5 year vinyl too so it's tough against ball damage.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Good advice! Ask me how I know...

20211017_092147.jpg20211017_092147.jpg
These were made by TractorDoc using the same dimensions as the classic Stern stars. They covered the old stars perfectly.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

[quoted image]
These were made by TractorDoc using the same dimensions as the classic Stern stars. They covered the old stars perfectly.

Big Deal

Nice!
Haven't played a BD in prob a dozen years. Maybe one will show up in one of the northeastern shows soon.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

[quoted image]

Those look great, so he’s done those already! Is it a clear square decal with a white star in the middle, or is it simply a white star you stick on?

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Those look great, so he’s done those already! Is it a clear square decal with a white star in the middle, or is it simply a white star you stick on?

They're just cut out vinyl star stickers. I've had them on for about a year and haven't had any issues with them.

Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

Big Deal
Nice!
Haven't played a BD in prob a dozen years. Maybe one will show up in one of the northeastern shows soon.

We've really enjoyed playing BD. It's fast and furious with those DC pops.

A 'One more game!' type of pin for us.

#12 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help. I’m getting star decals from TractorDoc.

#13 2 years ago

TractorDoc came through with white star decals. I got them today and already put some on my Hot Tip. What an improvement! One drop that I had replaced earlier had no stars, and the others had faded/worn away stars. I’m planning to put another set on the Big Deal I’m going through. Thanks to TractorDoc, and again, thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction.
568E5BFE-7C1E-4B6B-ACD4-6A7E66ADA282 (resized).png568E5BFE-7C1E-4B6B-ACD4-6A7E66ADA282 (resized).png

1 year later
#14 7 months ago

wolverinetuner

Just found this thread and have PM'd TractorDoc in hopes of getting some star decals.

Got any more finished pics of your Hot Tip? That one pic above looks great! Did you have to do much touch up painting to the playfield?

I'm thinking of changing the upper ball arch from green to an orange. The playfield is predominantly green as it is.

#15 7 months ago

Actually, my Hot Tip was gone through and clearcoated by the previous owner, so I can’t take much credit. All I had to do was free up a non-flexing arm on the bonus unit (removed the arm and actually took a hammer to it to free it up). So no, I didn’t do any touch-up myself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Baldwinsville, NY
$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-know-where-to-get-star-decals-for-williams-bank-drop-targets?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.