You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6599 (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).PNG
IMG_6598 (1) (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

The pic shows a junction between the two bottom connections of my ones reel on a gottlieb subway. None of the other reels have this and it seems to get very very hot. couldn't find it on the schematic, and I was wondering what it would be for or if it was added by a previous owner for something. Right now my reels are doing some weird things and I am just wondering if this might be part of the issue? Thanks.
IMG_6598 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_6598 (1) (resized).JPG

BTW I know the return spring looks over tight., The other end is very stretched. I have a new spring on order.. will replace when i get it.

#2 3 years ago

It's a resistor. Confirm on your schematic though. It will looks something like this:

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#3 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

It's a resistor. Confirm on your schematic though. It will looks something like this:
[quoted image]

Thanks currieddog This is the only resistor I can find on the schematics., Its for the A alternating relay to the Ones unit it looks like., im still not sure what it does exactly..

IMG_6599 (resized).JPGIMG_6599 (resized).JPG
#4 3 years ago

It supplies some voltage to the A coil at all times, so that the contacts on the disc (on the ones reel) don't have to take the coil all the way from 0 to 25 volts. I think this is so the contact points on the disc and/or the wipers are not subject to as much arcing. When the ones-unit wiper is not completing the circuit, the A coil is not pulled in.

Your excerpt of the schematic shows that one of the things the A relay does is switch the score values of the kicking rubbers back and forth. You should find another switch for relay A over on the lighting portion of the schematic where the "10 points when lit" playfield lights switch back and forth. Every 1-point score changes which of the kicking rubbers is worth 10, with the other being worth 1. There may be other alternating values elsewhere.
.................David Marston

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from dmarston:

It supplies some voltage to the A coil at all times, so that the contacts on the disc (on the ones reel) don't have to take the coil all the way from 0 to 25 volts. I think this is so the contact points on the disc and/or the wipers are not subject to as much arcing. When the ones-unit wiper is not completing the circuit, the A coil is not pulled in.
Your excerpt of the schematic shows that one of the things the A relay does is switch the score values of the kicking rubbers back and forth. You should find another switch for relay A over on the lighting portion of the schematic where the "10 points when lit" playfield lights switch back and forth. Every 1-point score changes which of the kicking rubbers is worth 10, with the other being worth 1. There may be other alternating values elsewhere.
.................David Marston

David, thanks for that great info. After looking moire at the schematic and reading through your post I am now a little more familiar with what is going on here. Thanks again!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-know-what-this-is-for-on-my-subway-score-reel?hl=tscottn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.