(Topic ID: 312961)

Anyone know how to restore a corrupted Photoshop psd file?

By paulace

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by paulace
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I've been working on a Photoshop file for the last 10 days or so, was about half-way through, then had a computer problem where my graphics card glitched while I was working on the file. Thinking I was doing the right thing, I saved the file as it's normal name (which was my mistake) and exited out of Photoshop to restart the computer. When it came back up and I tried to open the file, it wouldn't open - telling me that the file was corrupted....wouldn't open in any other graphics program - I tried Photoshop, Illustrator, GIMP, Irfanview, pdf programs. I'm on a PC, by the way...Windows 8, and was using Photoshop Elements, not the full-blown Photoshop.

I know there are some folks out there who work with Photoshop either constantly or professionally or both. Does anyone have any way to try to repair a corrupted psd file like this? I've tried several on-line repair tools, and several ones that I downloaded - and all do the same thing - they repair one small corner of the drawing...nothing else. There are no previous versions of the file that I can find, and temp files don't seem to open.

Anyone out there know of anything that's worked for you?

Thanks in advance.

#3 2 years ago

Thanks, ForceFlow - that program was one that I tried yesterday...didn't work. I've already started to redraw the file....was just hoping someone had a magic bullet that I didn't know about that would save me a few days work. Appreciate the advice.

#5 2 years ago

Thanks Pinzap - I just looked into "File History", and I had apparently turned it off - presumably to save space, though I don't remember turning it off. So no soup for me.

#7 2 years ago

Thank you, appropriately named @Crash. I'm redrawing it...slowly... I guess the lesson I should learn is not to save the file with the original name if I'm experiencing a computer glitch...and possibly to turn on "File History"...and possibly to switch to Windows 10.

#10 2 years ago

Well, it was only about 10 days of work, which I can redo - better that than family photos. I do have external HD backups of those.

#12 2 years ago

Hi Palmer - no, I haven't heard of that site. I'll give it a try when I get back from work today. Thanks!

#13 2 years ago

Palmer - the file wouldn't open on their site, of course - a pop-up appears saying I can send it to their email and "they'll fix it". While I love their optimism, I'm not too hopeful. I'm back in the rhythm of redrawing it, though - I'll probably just keep slogging away at it. It's going faster the second time through - might only take me 8 days!

I actually enjoy the process of doing the drawing (it's redrawing schematics) - it's just the immediate emotional hit you take when you lose all that work. I shed some tears, asked deep existential questions, and now I'm back to work....

1 month later
    #16 1 year ago

Wasn't able to save the file - wound up just re-drawing the whole thing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-know-how-to-restore-a-corrupted-photoshop-psd-file?tu=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.