(Topic ID: 87049)

RESOLVED- how to modify a sound-activated switch to close with flasher signal?

By alveolus

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by alveolus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I have a mod idea which would involve hacking a device's sound-triggered functionality to be triggered by a flasher on my machine. I basically want to replace/bypass the microphone function with the flasher signal input.
    Sound crazy or can it be accomplished in a reasonably straightforward manner?

Thanks,
    Shawn

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

I have a mod idea which would involve hacking a device's sound-triggered functionality to be triggered by a flasher on my machine. I basically want to replace/bypass the microphone function with the flasher signal input.
    Sound crazy or can it be accomplished in a reasonably straightforward manner?
    Thanks,
    Shawn

Far from an expert but I would expect it to be easy in theory with a simple relay or transistor of some sort depending on voltages and loads.

#3 10 years ago

Have the flasher make sound.

LTG : )™

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Have the flasher make sound.
    LTG : )™

I thought of that but it would be difficult to isolate the desired sound trigger from all the ambient noise.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Far from an expert but I would expect it to be easy in theory with a simple relay or transistor of some sort depending on voltages and loads.

I'm afraid I would need someone to diagram it for me.

#6 10 years ago

Which game uses a microphone? And for what? Never heard of that...

Anyway, you'll want to investigate solid-state relays. In fact, this thread should provide some inspiration:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/open-source-freeish-pinball-electronics-kit-gi-buddy

You can get through-hole mounted ones too, if you find that easier.

Does the microphone still need to work as well as the flasher, or will you completely replace the microphone functionality with the flasher?

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from CavemanJoe:

Which game uses a microphone? And for what? Never heard of that...
    Anyway, you'll want to investigate solid-state relays. In fact, this thread should provide some inspiration:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/open-source-freeish-pinball-electronics-kit-gi-buddy
    You can get through-hole mounted ones too, if you find that easier.
    Does the microphone still need to work as well as the flasher, or will you completely replace the microphone functionality with the flasher?

The device I want to trigger uses a microphone for sound activation. I want to replace the microphone/audio trigger with a flasher trigger.

#8 10 years ago

Without knowing more about the device, I doubt anyone can answer this. Generic answer: It can be done on a dc powered device by powering the device with its original power source for + and using the flasher's transistor for ground. If that doesn't make sense to you, you probably should just consider the answer to be "no, it can't be done".

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Without knowing more about the device, I doubt anyone can answer this. Generic answer: It can be done on a dc powered device by powering the device with its original power source for + and using the flasher's transistor for ground. If that doesn't make sense to you, you probably should just consider the answer to be "no, it can't be done".

I can't find schematics, but just assume its the same as the clapper. How would you replace the microphone trigger with a flasher signal trigger?

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

I can't find schematics, but just assume its the same as the clapper. How would you replace the microphone trigger with a flasher signal trigger?

Sorry, but I have no idea how a clapper works.

#11 10 years ago

So, I have a basic circuit diagram. I gather the microphone generates a weak electric signal that is amplified, the rectified(?), then if the sound/signal is of sufficient volume/voltage it turns on the transistor and activates the relay(forgive my ignorance here, please).
    So, looking at the diagram, could you just bypass the transistor and connect the lead going to the collector to the ground lead of the flasher? (Again, please forgive)image.jpgimage.jpg

#12 10 years ago

Bump for you afternoon electronics wizards.

#13 10 years ago

How many volts does this device run off? Grounding at the flasher will result in the circuit activating with the flasher but also the flasher voltage running into the circuit unless it's protected by a diode. If its a 12v device this might be ok. You can test your ground point using the ground braid in the game. If that fires up this mystery device then the flasher ground will do the same.

#14 10 years ago

The device runs off 90-240v, but I have no idea what voltage powers the sound-activation circuit, unfortunately. What size diode would be needed to protect the mystery circuit from the flasher voltage?

#15 10 years ago

Why don't you tell us the whole story. Let us know exactly what you're hoping to accomplish, in detail - what mystery device you're trying to activate with a microphone signal, how it'll be powered, all the detail you can. That way, we might figure out an easier way to do it.

#16 10 years ago

It's tough to say without knowing the whole story. In that diagram above, you would remove all of the components to the left of Q1.

You are creating a small electrical charge when sound enters the microphone. Once the charge reaches a certain level (the louder the sound the higher the voltage) it then triggers the Transistor (Q1) which then triggers the relay.

Depending on what it is, you may be able to completely remove the whole circuit and just go with a regular relay to trigger your mod. But a specific answer is going to require... well, specifics.

2 months later
    #17 9 years ago

So, it turns out the microphone was just a 5v switch. I took it out of the circuit and wired it to an opto-coupler and used the flasher signal to throw the switch. The opto coupler solution was provided courtesy of a generous Pinsider in a related thread.

So now I can unveil the completed "mystery device" mod shown in this thread:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-custom-interactive-acdc-rock-concert-topper

Thanks to all who helped!
    Shawn

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-know-how-to-modify-a-sound-activated-switch-to-close-with-flasher-signal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.