20220103_211910 (resized).jpg
20220103_211917 (resized).jpg
20220103_131109 (resized).jpg
20220103_130157 (resized).jpg
20220103_130217 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
51A9D076-7859-47E2-BE3B-C5C57CB12E48 (resized).jpeg
3286C41B-526B-4844-B305-A23882A580B4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Deaconblooze.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm toying with the idea of doing VR racing. I'm very early in the process. Set up includes VR capable laptop and Oculus Quest 2 connected to it via Airlink. I just bought Asseto Corsa during the Steam sale, and now I'm looking at a wheel, pedals, shifter and seat/rig setup.
I'm tempted to go balls in a get a Fanatec set up, but I wonder if I should start off with a Logitech or Thrustmaster belt driven wheel instead. One other thing is space, so I'll have to get a rig that can fold up and be stored away when not in use. The only thing that I see that is capable of that is the Playseat Challenge...Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on what wheel/pedal set up to go with, as that would be the next purchase.

A lot of the higher end gear really benefits from a more solid setup. I haven't really looked into rigs since I got my obutto rev years ago, but if I were going to do it again I'd probably take my time building something out of 80/20. You might be able to get creative with some ways to break that down with a little effort. Some friends had playseats, and while they were serviceable, the amount of movement really started to bother them.

The Fanatec gear is great. I've used the logitech, but not the thrustmaster, though I believe them to be similar. There's nothing wrong with the logitech, and it's going to suit most of the racing games well. When you start to get into the real hobbyist stuff, you're likely going to want an upgrade. It gets even nuttier than the Fanatec stuff if you can believe that, but I personally think that's a really good place to enter and stay.

The other thing I'd recommend from an immersion standpoint is a buttkicker gamer 2. VR plus rumble seat is a pretty convincing experience for a relatively modest additional cost.

Here's my setup, it tucks slightly under my desk, and sits next to my desk chair. It's not ideal, and I'm thinking once thunderbolt becomes a bit more affordable maybe I can run something into another room or even in the closet under the stairs to get it out of the way a little. I swap out that flight stick for an H-Shifter as needed, but almost all series in iracing are getting out of that anyway, which annoys me. I decided not to renew iracing for now, I'll grab it month to month if I get the itch, but it seems like Assetto Corsa offers a pretty great experience for the amount of time I have right now.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#23 2 years ago

That's a fair route. The Playseat may work well for you for that purpose. The wheel should be fine too. It really comes down to immersion the higher up you go. As you might know, one of those iracing Nascar televised events was won by a guy that had a g27 (or similar) simply clamped to his desk. You should be able to sell the t300 should you decide you want to upgrade.

If you have a problem with the playseats wobble, you could build out a simple support structure out of 2x4 or something to help reinforce it. If you can just sort of slip it in and wedge it, you should still be able to store the whole structure. My cousin did something like that, a really crude packing tube stuffed strategically in place to offer some reinforcement. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Also, if there are games that anyone wants to play online with after I get setup, let's race together!
Deaconblooze What games are you playing on your Quest 2? Any multiplayer games?

I'm really bad at sticking with games a lot of the time, so I've been floating around a lot. I was pretty into eleven table tennis for a bit, really need to get back into that one. Otherwise alyx (pcvr), pistol whip, lone echo, star wars squadrons (pcvr). Let me know if you want to give something a try!

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

You are headed in the right direction. I’m a New guy also but it seems sim racing is a pc deal. The advice I wish I would have gotten in the beginning is this, go slow. I know it sounds counterintuitive. But trust me go slow around turns in the beginning, you will absolutely add time. If you consider Iracing let me know. I will meet you there.

What are you driving in iracing? I really liked the mx5 there. I know it's the starter car, but the racing was pretty tight and I didn't have to learn a ton of new tracks.

I ran a full season of the skippy and really started to enjoy that. The problem is I really like h-shifter and clutch, and there aren't that many series that utilize it. Especially not without big time commitments. I was having trouble getting through practice laps/testing/qualifying and then tucking in a competitive race once per week to keep up.

I've thought about going back in and just trying to get into a private league, but at that point the SR/irating is off the table. And then I'm not really sure that there's anything driving me toward that instead of ACC.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I can play room-scale games without a problem. The sitting/driving-but-not-actually-driving-motion is doing me in right now. i don't even want to think about space sims lol. Squadrons seems like fun, but I'd probably want to die after about a minute. Played Walking Dead S&S, and working through Half Life: Alyx right now (and a handful of other games, Boneworks is on my list too). Sooo good!!!

Squadrons is worth the hurl!

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm not sure man. Been dealing with motion sickness my whole life. It takes me out for a day, or more if it's really bad. I would love to try it though.

That's rough. Luckily I haven't had any issues in VR. One thing I've found helpful in walking games is to just lean forward a bit while pushing the stick forward. It wasn't so much that it made me sick otherwise, just sort of unsettled my equilibrium.

1 month later
#57 2 years ago

Looks to be a really solid deal here for a bunch of games, and includes 3 months on iRacing (for new members). Great opportunity to give that a try, and pocket a bunch of other titles while you're at it:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/ultimate-racing-sim-bundle?hmb_source=search_bar

#61 2 years ago

I've bought a lot from Humble Bundle. You get the keys and can add the games to your steam library. Normally there are tiers, so pay $3 get the games in this tier, $8 this tier and below, and pay some very specific number or greater and get everything. In this case it's just a minimum of $13 to get everything.

Pretty killer, especially if you don't have ACC, and have any interest at all in starting iRacing.

1 week later
#66 2 years ago

I've thought about putting my setup in the closet under my stairs. Once tb3 becomes more affordable that might be an option.

1 week later
#72 2 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

I’ve been playing a lot of GT7 lately. May buy another wheel to use on my ps5. Looking at the Fanatec GT DD bundle.

Wait... a fanatec dd as a second wheel?

1 year later
#88 47 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Oof. Quiet in these parts. Just wanted to share that I'm taking steps to change out of my Playseat Challenge and move into an 8020 rig that I bought secondhand over the weekend and got a Samsung G9 monitor that I'll be using in place of a 3 screen setup. It'll be another month or so probably before I can get everything set up, but it's some exciting news to say the least. I've been playing a lot of Assetto Corsa, but I still suck lol. I'm trying to get the basics for drifting but just can't get a handle on it.
I know the new setup won't magically make me a better driver, but I'm excited nonetheless.

I got a month of iRacing just to get everything back together and running again. My config gets pretty complex to get everything started in the right way (wheel, pedals, shifter, buttkicker, hmd, button box). I got my transducers on all 4 corners now, and did some cable management to get things tidied up.

I'm just hanging onto a C road license right now with a terrible irating. I'm going to focus on the Porsche cup and really try to get in some practice time before getting into an actual race. I also plan to try out the arca class in oval.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Deaconblooze.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-into-sim-racing?tu=Deaconblooze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.