20220103_211910 (resized).jpg
20220103_211917 (resized).jpg
20220103_131109 (resized).jpg
20220103_130157 (resized).jpg
20220103_130217 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
51A9D076-7859-47E2-BE3B-C5C57CB12E48 (resized).jpeg
3286C41B-526B-4844-B305-A23882A580B4 (resized).jpeg

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Is anyone here into sim racing? I’m thinking of getting into it but don’t know long it will hold my attention. The two things I always loved growing up were pinball and driving games, and now even motion simulation rigs are $2500.

I don’t have room for a motion rig unless I sold my TAF, which would give me back the space and cash to do a full motion setup. Ideally I’d like both. Hard choices.

#2 3 years ago

Here is my setup.

I think it is okay. The fact that it isn't true 1 to 1 motion makes my anal attentiveness flair up.

#3 3 years ago

Jorant, what’s your setup if you don’t mind me asking? Rig and vr?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Mjonesproperty:

Jorant, what’s your setup if you don’t mind me asking? Rig and vr?

Rig is a dof reality 3dof motion sim. Vr is hp reverb.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing this. I have read some people can’t get used to the VR. What is your opinion of a VR setup vs. one of those 49” curved monitors?

What wheel and peddles do you have?

Do you find you race more or play pinball more?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Thanks for sharing this. I have read some people can’t get used to the VR. What is your opinion of a VR setup vs. one of those 49” curved monitors?
What wheel and peddles do you have?
Do you find you race more or play pinball more?

Well, I have a giant curved monitor too! Lol, I will tell you that there is simply no replacement for vr. Period. It's the difference between playing a game and being IN the world.

#7 3 years ago

Yeah..I want.
Share more info.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Well, I have a giant curved monitor too! Lol, I will tell you that there is simply no replacement for vr. Period. It's the difference between playing a game and being IN the world

Is there a good forum with info on these sims?
When I was looking for a full motion sim the machines that stood out were $20-30k+ which I couldn't justify but they also looked like they took a LOT of space which I don't have. Your system looks nice and compact without those monitors - very cool! I've had zero experience with VR but maybe that's the route to go afterall.
Nice driving by the way.

#9 3 years ago

xsimulators is where I go. I am making my own from the same platform as the one in the video above with some dc motors from a couple of Jazzy wheelchairs. Good luck! I play simulator just as much as pinball nowdays.

#10 3 years ago

Doctor6

I saw someone mention $2500, but that can’t be all in cost. If you don’t mind sharing, what is the cost of the set up you shared in the video?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

jorant
I saw someone mention $2500, but that can’t be all in cost. If you don’t mind sharing, what is the cost of the set up you shared in the video?

So I wanna say the motion rig by itself (no wheel/peddals/or even seat) was $3499. The wheel, peddals and stick will run you about 1200 more. So it can get out of hand in a hurry.

It also depends on how much motion you want simulated. In this video I have 3 degrees of motion. You can do up to 6 and as low as 2. 3 gives you the feeling of traction loss in addition to being forced left and right. And that's what you're doing: simulating force. The game tries to give you feeling of gravity.

#12 3 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to share. It’s certainly not inexpensive, but it’s not all that much different from pinball from a price standpoint. Looks really really cool.

#13 3 years ago
#14 3 years ago

DOFreality.com has a 3 axis platform/rig for under $2500.

You have to add a seat, and of course a driving wheel, pedals, possible a shifter, monitors and/or VR headset and a PC capable of driving the screens (motion doesn’t take much processing power).

I’ve never driven a race sim, but love racing games and want to get into it.

#15 3 years ago

There are two kinds of dof reality 3dof set ups. Imagine them as pro and premium

6 months later
#16 2 years ago

reviving and following.
my plan when we hit PA is to start building a motion rig for racing and possible flight.
it's something i've wanted to do for a long time. been researching a lot lately to keep my mind occupied during the moving stress process.
hopefully a little sub forum club like the 3d sharing thread could get some momentum.
i'm premature here but wanted this on my favorites and always enjoy reading, ingesting, learning, what others have to say here.
r/
Mike

2 months later
#17 2 years ago

Reviving an old post to see if anyone here is into sim racing. Finally got my rig decent. It can be terribly addicting for sure.

3286C41B-526B-4844-B305-A23882A580B4 (resized).jpeg3286C41B-526B-4844-B305-A23882A580B4 (resized).jpeg51A9D076-7859-47E2-BE3B-C5C57CB12E48 (resized).jpeg51A9D076-7859-47E2-BE3B-C5C57CB12E48 (resized).jpeg
#18 2 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

Reviving an old post to see if anyone here is into sim racing. Finally got my rig decent. It can be terribly addicting for sure.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks sweet! I miss my triple screen setup. I went into VR really early and the immersion blew away the triples but even today VR ain't perfect.

My biggest problem with sim racing these days is it's very time demanding if you want to compete. Years ago I claimed first place overall for the Grand Touring Cup and it took all of my free time and then some to do it. Can't muster that level of dedication now so I get my competitive fix from pins.

Curious if anybody here has gotten one of those new Fanatec Direct Drive wheels. What ya think about it?

3 months later
#19 2 years ago

Reviving this thread to see if there are any pinheads in Iracing. Upgraded my set up recently and planning to jump backing as the winter closes in.

1 month later
#20 2 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

Reviving this thread to see if there are any pinheads in Iracing. Upgraded my set up recently and planning to jump backing as the winter closes in.

I'm toying with the idea of doing VR racing. I'm very early in the process. Set up includes VR capable laptop and Oculus Quest 2 connected to it via Airlink. I just bought Asseto Corsa during the Steam sale, and now I'm looking at a wheel, pedals, shifter and seat/rig setup.

I'm tempted to go balls in a get a Fanatec set up, but I wonder if I should start off with a Logitech or Thrustmaster belt driven wheel instead. One other thing is space, so I'll have to get a rig that can fold up and be stored away when not in use. The only thing that I see that is capable of that is the Playseat Challenge...Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on what wheel/pedal set up to go with, as that would be the next purchase.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm toying with the idea of doing VR racing. I'm very early in the process. Set up includes VR capable laptop and Oculus Quest 2 connected to it via Airlink. I just bought Asseto Corsa during the Steam sale, and now I'm looking at a wheel, pedals, shifter and seat/rig setup.
I'm tempted to go balls in a get a Fanatec set up, but I wonder if I should start off with a Logitech or Thrustmaster belt driven wheel instead. One other thing is space, so I'll have to get a rig that can fold up and be stored away when not in use. The only thing that I see that is capable of that is the Playseat Challenge...Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on what wheel/pedal set up to go with, as that would be the next purchase.

A lot of the higher end gear really benefits from a more solid setup. I haven't really looked into rigs since I got my obutto rev years ago, but if I were going to do it again I'd probably take my time building something out of 80/20. You might be able to get creative with some ways to break that down with a little effort. Some friends had playseats, and while they were serviceable, the amount of movement really started to bother them.

The Fanatec gear is great. I've used the logitech, but not the thrustmaster, though I believe them to be similar. There's nothing wrong with the logitech, and it's going to suit most of the racing games well. When you start to get into the real hobbyist stuff, you're likely going to want an upgrade. It gets even nuttier than the Fanatec stuff if you can believe that, but I personally think that's a really good place to enter and stay.

The other thing I'd recommend from an immersion standpoint is a buttkicker gamer 2. VR plus rumble seat is a pretty convincing experience for a relatively modest additional cost.

Here's my setup, it tucks slightly under my desk, and sits next to my desk chair. It's not ideal, and I'm thinking once thunderbolt becomes a bit more affordable maybe I can run something into another room or even in the closet under the stairs to get it out of the way a little. I swap out that flight stick for an H-Shifter as needed, but almost all series in iracing are getting out of that anyway, which annoys me. I decided not to renew iracing for now, I'll grab it month to month if I get the itch, but it seems like Assetto Corsa offers a pretty great experience for the amount of time I have right now.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

A lot of the higher end gear really benefits from a more solid setup. I haven't really looked into rigs since I got my obutto rev years ago, but if I were going to do it again I'd probably take my time building something out of 80/20. You might be able to get creative with some ways to break that down with a little effort. Some friends had playseats, and while they were serviceable, the amount of movement really started to bother them.
The Fanatec gear is great. I've used the logitech, but not the thrustmaster, though I believe them to be similar. There's nothing wrong with the logitech, and it's going to suit most of the racing games well. When you start to get into the real hobbyist stuff, you're likely going to want an upgrade. It gets even nuttier than the Fanatec stuff if you can believe that, but I personally think that's a really good place to enter and stay.
The other thing I'd recommend from an immersion standpoint is a buttkicker gamer 2. VR plus rumble seat is a pretty convincing experience for a relatively modest additional cost.
Here's my setup, it tucks slightly under my desk, and sits next to my desk chair. It's not ideal, and I'm thinking once thunderbolt becomes a bit more affordable maybe I can run something into another room or even in the closet under the stairs to get it out of the way a little. I swap out that flight stick for an H-Shifter as needed, but almost all series in iracing are getting out of that anyway, which annoys me. I decided not to renew iracing for now, I'll grab it month to month if I get the itch, but it seems like Assetto Corsa offers a pretty great experience for the amount of time I have right now.[quoted image]

Thanks for the thoughts Dave! My biggest problem is I dont have a dedicated playspace. My situation is, my router is in my living room, and in order to have a solid internet connection, my laptop has to sit near my router hardwired, which allows me to go wireless from my Quest 2 to my laptop. Without that...well, I haven't tried, but I doubt the VR experience would be smooth.

As far as 80/20 goes, I've never worked with it but I can see why you'd want to use it. I wouldn't be opposed to building one out of 2x4, but again, not having the dedicated playspace is kind of a hindrance. My original thoughts were to go with a logitech, since I dont know if it's going to be a hobby that will stick around or just be a fart in the wind. At this point, I think it'll be more to satisfy an itch I don't know that I have? I mean, just the thought a cruising around in Germany in some car that I would never be able to drive in real life, in VR, sounds pretty appealing to me, right now, but who knows if it'll get old to me or not?

so I guess at this point, I'm just looking to get started, at not a crazy price point. I don't want super cheap, but something that'll be a good entry point but not be a complete loss if I decide it's not for me. Looks like overall, the Thrustmaster T300 RS is the way to go, since it is belt driven and smoother, vs logitech being gear driven and more "grainy".

#23 2 years ago

That's a fair route. The Playseat may work well for you for that purpose. The wheel should be fine too. It really comes down to immersion the higher up you go. As you might know, one of those iracing Nascar televised events was won by a guy that had a g27 (or similar) simply clamped to his desk. You should be able to sell the t300 should you decide you want to upgrade.

If you have a problem with the playseats wobble, you could build out a simple support structure out of 2x4 or something to help reinforce it. If you can just sort of slip it in and wedge it, you should still be able to store the whole structure. My cousin did something like that, a really crude packing tube stuffed strategically in place to offer some reinforcement. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm toying with the idea of doing VR racing.

Although it can appear intimidating and has a subscription model you should check out iRacing. It's a very mature platform and the VR is very good and it's very easy to dive into racing with real people. I've been using it for 10 years and love it

#25 2 years ago

That's a fair route. The Playseat may work well for you for that purpose. The wheel should be fine too. It really comes down to immersion the higher up you go. As you might know, one of those iracing Nascar televised events was won by a guy that had a g27 (or similar) simply clamped to his desk. You should be able to sell the t300 should you decide you want to upgrade.
If you have a problem with the playseats wobble, you could build out a simple support structure out of 2x4 or something to help reinforce it. If you can just sort of slip it in and wedge it, you should still be able to store the whole structure. My cousin did something like that, a really crude packing tube stuffed strategically in place to offer some reinforcement. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

Good idea adding additional bracing if needed. I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of the playseat's design, but the reviews are generally positive. Wish I could test it out before I buy. I wasn't aware about the iRacing Nascar guy...but if it is Nascar...well...

Quoted from FlippyD:

Although it can appear intimidating and has a subscription model you should check out iRacing. It's a very mature platform and the VR is very good and it's very easy to dive into racing with real people. I've been using it for 10 years and love it

I'm not a fan of a subscription, so I might not do that for a while. I'm looking forward into digging into Assetto Corsa, and it seems that there are some super great mods from the community! It seems like it has a good mix of racing and cruising, which I can see myself just cruising around in VR and doing street light races lol. Reliving my teen years all over again, except with way nicer cars

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Before I switched to my current rig, I was using a Playseat Challenge. For the money, not a bad seat. I was able to sit in it for several hours at a crack.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from Ricmaz:

Before I switched to my current rig, I was using a Playseat Challenge. For the money, not a bad seat. I was able to sit in it for several hours at a crack.

Thanks for the feedback! It's between that and the F-GT Lite.

https://nextlevelracing.com/products/f-gt-lite/

Seems like the Playseat can fold up into a thinner profile than the F-GT Lite though.

And...I put in my order for a Thrustmaster T300RC GT Edition. Which is great because I can use it on my PS5 as well. Haven't dug into a Gran Turismo since GT2 way back...

#28 2 years ago

We made a custom setup. I'll post some pics when I get home. Been a lot of fun.

#29 2 years ago

Getting set up with a Playseat Challenge in the next couple weeks. Got a buddy of mine to pick one up second hand, but they're about 400 miles away, so gotta wait before I can really dig in. I think for now, it'll be a good, portable setup that I can stow away when I'm not playing, or move it around if I find that my wireless connection will work well.

Quoted from pcprogrammer:

We made a custom setup. I'll post some pics when I get home. Been a lot of fun.

Are you just starting or have you been playing for a while now?

#30 2 years ago

Also, if there are games that anyone wants to play online with after I get setup, let's race together!

Deaconblooze What games are you playing on your Quest 2? Any multiplayer games?

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Also, if there are games that anyone wants to play online with after I get setup, let's race together!
Deaconblooze What games are you playing on your Quest 2? Any multiplayer games?

I'm really bad at sticking with games a lot of the time, so I've been floating around a lot. I was pretty into eleven table tennis for a bit, really need to get back into that one. Otherwise alyx (pcvr), pistol whip, lone echo, star wars squadrons (pcvr). Let me know if you want to give something a try!

#32 2 years ago

If anyone is on Iracing let me know. I pretty much stay on the Road courses.

#33 2 years ago

Here's my setup. I mainly race the F1 series, occasionally Nascar Heat. I've tried it in VR but the ultrawide monitor is superior in every way, higher res, buttery smooth at 120hz max settings. Seemed like there was lag between the headset and pc/wheel and the lower res was brutal to look at. Although I had to use Vorpx for F1, so not sure if native VR racers have less lag. The rig is ran by a 3080.

20220103_130157 (resized).jpg20220103_130157 (resized).jpg20220103_130217 (resized).jpg20220103_130217 (resized).jpg20220103_131109 (resized).jpg20220103_131109 (resized).jpg
#34 2 years ago

I'm really bad at sticking with games a lot of the time, so I've been floating around a lot. I was pretty into eleven table tennis for a bit, really need to get back into that one. Otherwise alyx (pcvr), pistol whip, lone echo, star wars squadrons (pcvr). Let me know if you want to give something a try!

Ive hrard good things about Eleven. Alyx is amazing. I've got about 4 hrs into it. Need to get back in soon. I also have pistol whip. Super fun, and I get really sweaty on harder difficulty. Lone Echo is on my wishlist and I think Squadrons would make me vomit...so pass on that lol.

As far as multiplayer, I've been playing After the Fall on PCVR...and that's about it. I've got some mitary style games I've been meaning to get into like Pavlov or Contractors, but just haven't made the jump yet.

Quoted from PokerJake:

Here's my setup. I mainly race the F1 series, occasionally Nascar Heat. I've tried it in VR but the ultrawide monitor is superior in every way, higher res, buttery smooth at 120hz max settings. Seemed like there was lag between the headset and pc/wheel and the lower res was brutal to look at. Although I had to use Vorpx for F1, so not sure if native VR racers have less lag. The rig is ran by a 3080.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice setup! I've read that VR racing is the way to do it vs flat screen racing, but definitely do what you enjoy most. I'm hoping VR racing is enjoyable. The wheel and rig can't get here soon enough!

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Ive hrard good things about Eleven. Alyx is amazing. I've got about 4 hrs into it. Need to get back in soon. I also have pistol whip. Super fun, and I get really sweaty on harder difficulty. Lone Echo is on my wishlist and I think Squadrons would make me vomit...so pass on that lol.
As far as multiplayer, I've been playing After the Fall on PCVR...and that's about it. I've got some mitary style games I've been meaning to get into like Pavlov or Contractors, but just haven't made the jump yet.

Nice setup! I've read that VR racing is the way to do it vs flat screen racing, but definitely do what you enjoy most. I'm hoping VR racing is enjoyable. The wheel and rig can't get here soon enough!

Thanks, Onward is an awesome shooter, otherwise Golf+ and Real VR Fishing are the main games I play on the Quest 2. Mostly quick games, I find the headset is uncomfortable to wear for longer than 20 min or so.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think we would get along lol... I also have a sim racing setup, pins and a golden tee machine. Love your room though, mine is just a hodgepodge of stuff all over the house.

#37 2 years ago
20220103_211910 (resized).jpg20220103_211910 (resized).jpg20220103_211917 (resized).jpg20220103_211917 (resized).jpg
#38 2 years ago

I decided to do a sim racing search and found this thread so its nice to see you guys here.

I've been wanting to get a setup for years always futzing with the big, chunky Midway and Sega arcade drivers but knowing how much better a sim rig is. So after about a year of more serious research I just started putting the pieces together. I recently picked some really nice and very well taken care of Fanatec gear and have a CSL DD 8Nm on order. Deciding on a rig but will likely go Trak Racer TR80. I'm a Mac guy but my son has a PC we are going to use for this setup. I'm extremely excited to get it all set up.

IMG_8480.JPG (resized).jpegIMG_8480.JPG (resized).jpeg
#39 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

I decided to do a sim racing search and found this thread so its nice to see you guys here.
I've been wanting to get a setup for years always futzing with the big, chunky Midway and Sega arcade drivers but knowing how much better a sim rig is. So after about a year of more serious research I just started putting the pieces together. I recently picked some really nice and very well taken care of Fanatec gear and have a CSL DD 8Nm on order. Deciding on a rig but will likely go Trak Racer TR80. I'm a Mac guy but my son has a PC we are going to use for this setup. I'm extremely excited to get it all set up.
[quoted image]

You are headed in the right direction. I’m a New guy also but it seems sim racing is a pc deal. The advice I wish I would have gotten in the beginning is this, go slow. I know it sounds counterintuitive. But trust me go slow around turns in the beginning, you will absolutely add time. If you consider Iracing let me know. I will meet you there.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

You are headed in the right direction. I’m a New guy also but it seems sim racing is a pc deal. The advice I wish I would have gotten in the beginning is this, go slow. I know it sounds counterintuitive. But trust me go slow around turns in the beginning, you will absolutely add time. If you consider Iracing let me know. I will meet you there.

What are you driving in iracing? I really liked the mx5 there. I know it's the starter car, but the racing was pretty tight and I didn't have to learn a ton of new tracks.

I ran a full season of the skippy and really started to enjoy that. The problem is I really like h-shifter and clutch, and there aren't that many series that utilize it. Especially not without big time commitments. I was having trouble getting through practice laps/testing/qualifying and then tucking in a competitive race once per week to keep up.

I've thought about going back in and just trying to get into a private league, but at that point the SR/irating is off the table. And then I'm not really sure that there's anything driving me toward that instead of ACC.

#41 2 years ago

My couch/coffee table VR setup until I can pickup my rig

I'm getting sick doing VR yet, but man, it's pretty amazing. I can imagine a motion rig kicking up the immersion factor big time.

20220107_103852 (resized).jpg20220107_103852 (resized).jpg
#42 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

My couch/coffee table VR setup until I can pickup my rig
I'm getting sick doing VR yet, but man, it's pretty amazing. I can imagine a motion rig kicking up the immersion factor big time.
[quoted image]

VR is so good but such a pain to use. I use the index these days and the resolution is awesome, it looks so good but it heats up and is so uncomfortable after a while. I don't have a dedicated sim setup so it takes time to get everything set up and just ends up being a pain.

I can't wait until VR headsets are like wearing glasses. Virtual pinball is actually amazing in VR too but looking down for any amount of time with these things on your head is brutal.

#43 2 years ago

I went the pretty basic route. Playing racing games on the Xbox. Picked up the Logitech wheel, purchased a used GTI passenger seat off eBay, some 2x4s, white paint and made some decals to dress it up a bit.

Funny thing is I still find I play more with the controllers…. Some of the games are just too hard with a wheel… you would think it would be easier. I tried Project cars for hours trying to race the carts and it was just brutal. Forza 6 was fun. Horizon a bit too arcadey for the wheel…. Wreckfest, which I love was too tough as well.

Anyhow it’s a pretty easy build… things I would do different…. Make the base a bit longer….. I fit fine.. but would have been nice to have option to move it back for others. (I was trying to make it so my son could reach the peddles as well). Would make a holder for the shifter which I will probably still do at some point. Be nice to have some sort of rail to make it easier to get in and out…

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#44 2 years ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

I went the pretty basic route. Playing racing games on the Xbox. Picked up the Logitech wheel, purchased a used GTI passenger seat off eBay, some 2x4s, white paint and made some decals to dress it up a bit.
Funny thing is I still find I play more with the controllers…. Some of the games are just too hard with a wheel… you would think it would be easier. I tried Project cars for hours trying to race the carts and it was just brutal. Forza 6 was fun. Horizon a bit too arcadey for the wheel…. Wreckfest, which I love was too tough as well.
Anyhow it’s a pretty easy build… things I would do different…. Make the base a bit longer….. I fit fine.. but would have been nice to have option to move it back for others. (I was trying to make it so my son could reach the peddles as well). Would make a holder for the shifter which I will probably still do at some point. Be nice to have some sort of rail to make it easier to get in and out…[quoted image]

That's a little weird to be honest. Most sim games tend to be easier with a wheel while the more arcadey ones tend to be easier with a controller.
If you don't have a lot of experience with the really realistic ones though it can take a lot of changing of habits to get used to keeping it on the road.

I'd be interested to hear what your experience level is with sim racing and what you were finding the hardest part. Most people overestimate how fast they can take corners especially using a normal monitor since the sense of speed is so bad. Braking early and doing slow, fast out on the corners is a good piece of advice for getting used to the sim games. You'll find that playing it careful and going a little slower than you think you can often ends up being faster.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

VR is so good but such a pain to use. I use the index these days and the resolution is awesome, it looks so good but it heats up and is so uncomfortable after a while. I don't have a dedicated sim setup so it takes time to get everything set up and just ends up being a pain.
I can't wait until VR headsets are like wearing glasses. Virtual pinball is actually amazing in VR too but looking down for any amount of time with these things on your head is brutal.

I've got it set up now with the Quest 2 and it isn't too bad. The only one thing that I would change is that any menu navigations have to be done on my laptop, so that means I have to lift up the head unit, do my menu navigations, then I'm ready to go. Can't wait to get my seat...but it might be a while as my buddy in MN bought it for me, but not sure when the next time I'll be heading up there or him coming to my area.

Quoted from Anony:

That's a little weird to be honest. Most sim games tend to be easier with a wheel while the more arcadey ones tend to be easier with a controller.
If you don't have a lot of experience with the really realistic ones though it can take a lot of changing of habits to get used to keeping it on the road.
I'd be interested to hear what your experience level is with sim racing and what you were finding the hardest part. Most people overestimate how fast they can take corners especially using a normal monitor since the sense of speed is so bad. Braking early and doing slow, fast out on the corners is a good piece of advice for getting used to the sim games. You'll find that playing it careful and going a little slower than you think you can often ends up being faster.

This is true! Completely overestimating the speed when heading into a turn and spin out. Getting a sense of how much to brake and when you can start accelerating again is key, I feel. I've played enough controller console racing (Forza 3 on X360 was the last game that I spent a considerable amount of time on) and you'd think that some of it would translate to a FFB wheel, but nope. Feels like I'm learning from scratch! It's so fun though. Still get a little sick in VR, but I'm hoping that my threshold increases each time I use it.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I've got it set up now with the Quest 2 and it isn't too bad. The only one thing that I would change is that any menu navigations have to be done on my laptop, so that means I have to lift up the head unit, do my menu navigations, then I'm ready to go. Can't wait to get my seat...but it might be a while as my buddy in MN bought it for me, but not sure when the next time I'll be heading up there or him coming to my area.

This is true! Completely overestimating the speed when heading into a turn and spin out. Getting a sense of how much to brake and when you can start accelerating again is key, I feel. I've played enough controller console racing (Forza 3 on X360 was the last game that I spent a considerable amount of time on) and you'd think that some of it would translate to a FFB wheel, but nope. Feels like I'm learning from scratch! It's so fun though. Still get a little sick in VR, but I'm hoping that my threshold increases each time I use it.

VR sickness does go away over time. I basically get none from racing games, but space sims still make me want to hurl. Remember you can close your eyes if you spin or roll the car, that will help avoid those nauseating moments from getting to you.

Something else you can do to help is put a fan in front of you. The breeze on your face can help trick your brain into thinking you're moving. Plus it adds to the immersion and keeping cool always helps with nausea.

Another piece of advice is not to push through it. Don't give up right away but if you feel something is making you feel sick or it's getting worse just take a break.
Before they added checkpoints to Boneworks I actually made myself puke because I kept playing despite feeling so bad to try and finish the level. Having a big meal just before doesn't help either lol...

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

VR sickness does go away over time. I basically get none from racing games, but space sims still make me want to hurl. Remember you can close your eyes if you spin or roll the car, that will help avoid those nauseating moments from getting to you.
Something else you can do to help is put a fan in front of you. The breeze on your face can help trick your brain into thinking you're moving. Plus it adds to the immersion and keeping cool always helps with nausea.
Another piece of advice is not to push through it. Don't give up right away but if you feel something is making you feel sick or it's getting worse just take a break.
Before they added checkpoints to Boneworks I actually made myself puke because I kept playing despite feeling so bad to try and finish the level. Having a big meal just before doesn't help either lol...

I can play room-scale games without a problem. The sitting/driving-but-not-actually-driving-motion is doing me in right now. i don't even want to think about space sims lol. Squadrons seems like fun, but I'd probably want to die after about a minute. Played Walking Dead S&S, and working through Half Life: Alyx right now (and a handful of other games, Boneworks is on my list too). Sooo good!!!

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I can play room-scale games without a problem. The sitting/driving-but-not-actually-driving-motion is doing me in right now. i don't even want to think about space sims lol. Squadrons seems like fun, but I'd probably want to die after about a minute. Played Walking Dead S&S, and working through Half Life: Alyx right now (and a handful of other games, Boneworks is on my list too). Sooo good!!!

Squadrons is worth the hurl!

#49 2 years ago

Squadrons is worth the hurl!

I'm not sure man. Been dealing with motion sickness my whole life. It takes me out for a day, or more if it's really bad. I would love to try it though.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm not sure man. Been dealing with motion sickness my whole life. It takes me out for a day, or more if it's really bad. I would love to try it though.

That's rough. Luckily I haven't had any issues in VR. One thing I've found helpful in walking games is to just lean forward a bit while pushing the stick forward. It wasn't so much that it made me sick otherwise, just sort of unsettled my equilibrium.

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-into-sim-racing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.