8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Anim8ormatt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I'm not one to play in the dark anyways, but I'm interested how playable the Back Alley Black Pearl balls are compared to normal. I can't imagine they'd be nearly as visible, especially for those games that have dark areas.

http://www.backalleycreations.com/bac%20black%20pearl%20pinballs.html

#2 8 years ago

No. But it's interesting you would ask. I was contemplating buying some as a gift.

#4 8 years ago

Makes you wonder how they make a profit, i mean, you can't imagine these would be a massive seller.

#5 8 years ago

I have not played with the totally black ones but, I have got one that looks like an eyeball in my machine now and it is hard to follow at times. Hope that helps

#6 8 years ago

Once you go black, you never go back.

#7 8 years ago

I've played games with them at the Seattle show. I think they look really cool. Some machines had them ALL converted, and some just had 1 ball changed over. It was light in there though, they would be harder to track in the dark for sure....

I never liked them enough to buy any, but it would be cool to even just have 1 of them in one of my games to change things up....

#8 8 years ago

Totally thought this thread was about something else when I read the title

#9 8 years ago

I was thinking of putting some in my batman forever. hard to justify the expense though, considering they might be hard to see.

::Edit:: I just looked at the site and he makes some riddler themed balls. I may just have to get one riddler and one half and half two face ball!

#10 8 years ago

I had them in Hook and I really liked 'em. Ya know, black pearl
    They do make the game more challenging as their harder to see but it is a cool effect.

#11 8 years ago

They are too dark to be an adequate replacement for the good old silverball IMO.

#12 8 years ago

I found some 1" clear acrylic balls that I thought might look cool in a pin. They are lighter too, so the gameplay would be nuts!

#13 8 years ago

I have one of the skull and crossbones for POTC and one web ball for SM. Looks great, creates a bit of a challenge because of the change-up from the normal silver balls. I wouldn't do it for every pin in a collection, but one or two pins with a black ball to mix it up works for me.

#14 8 years ago

I have been wanting to order some for BR to fit the theme, but have not pulled the trigger yet due to the price. The manual states black pinball as a replacement part, but I don't think they ever included them from the factory and I also think that 20-6500 is the same part number for the standard finish.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

Totally thought this thread was about something else when I read the title

And yet you looked. Very telling

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

I have one of the skull and crossbones for POTC and one web ball for SM

I like that idea. Must be nuts to track in multiball, or in a game like STTNG where a ball goes in a hole, but the same one doesn't necessarily come out.

#18 8 years ago

I've used the black balls. I didn't like them. too hard to see.

#19 8 years ago

I'd say they could work, but you'd need a brightly colored PF, yet with a theme where a black ball would be appropriate.

#20 8 years ago

Tried them and didnt care for them as they are just too hard to follow. I did pick up some gold balls and they ended up in TOM and look right at home.

#21 8 years ago

They have a ball that says 'Fart' on it.

Now I know what to get everyone for XMas. Fart balls.

#22 8 years ago

I played them on POTC they are ok, hard to see. but in Spiderman they are invisible! I would not recommend for Spidey. The darker your playfield the more difficult they are to see.

#23 8 years ago

I like to play with the lights off at times. They would not work for me.

#24 8 years ago

I have the eyeball ball in the Mystic. Hasn't caused any issues and I play in the dark, but it's a pretty bright game without any ramps for the ball to hide under.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

I found some 1" clear acrylic balls that I thought might look cool in a pin. They are lighter too, so the gameplay would be nuts!

You could always drill and add weight to the center, I thought about buying some to see if I could retrofit a LED with a small battery in one with a motion sensor and have lit up balls but would be too hard to keep them balanced, for novelty only

#26 8 years ago

This may be a dumb question, but doesn't the finish eventually wear off? I thought about getting an eyeball for SS, but I don't know anything about their durability.

Johnny

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from thebrave:

This may be a dumb question, but doesn't the finish eventually wear off?

They will. In fact, if you go thru the back alley website to the black ball page (I linked the page directly), you have to go thru a message that talks to this

http://www.backalleycreations.com/bac%20black%20%20pearl%20warning%20page.html

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from pin-tastic:

You could always drill and add weight to the center, I thought about buying some to see if I could retrofit a LED with a small battery in one with a motion sensor and have lit up balls but would be too hard to keep them balanced, for novelty only

That would be pretty cool. maybe harvest a motion activated led out of one of those bouncy balls you see around. getting it inside a ball that would survive inside the machine is the trick!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 12.95
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 800.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 48.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 209.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside