(Topic ID: 193206)

Anyone here into camping, backpacking, or hiking?

By mbaumle

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mbaumle
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

mkmapground-thumb-510x280-49291 (resized).jpg
IMG_2001 (resized).JPG
IMG_20170709_070830 (resized).jpg
034 (resized).JPG
acker (resized).png
Screenshot_20170711-075442 (resized).jpg
jackwindowrock (resized).JPG
toothoftime (resized).JPG
298477_2235996457072_1854481054_n (resized).jpg
313290_2235997377095_1484614095_n (resized).jpg
381632_2235997177090_1447368744_n (resized).jpg
IMG_4294 (resized).JPG
IMG_4051 (resized).JPG
IMG_4050 (resized).JPG
NH521-2 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

When I was a Boy Scout, we camped every month. We always used cheap Walmart gear that we'd beat to death, but leaking tents or shoddy sleeping bags that would freeze our toes always made for fun stories to tell.

After I got my Eagle Scout and left the troop, I haven't camped nearly as much as I'd have liked, but after graduating college, and my fiancé getting a job with the Bureau of Land Management, we found ourselves literally camping around the country. Much cheaper than hotels.

We camped from Helena, MT to Washington state, up into Alberta, Canada; British Colombia, all the way down the coast of California; Death Valley; Las Cruces, NM; Utah, Florida, pretty much every state except for Nebraska. (Sorry, Nebraska... Next time. Maybe.). We spent time in nearly all the major national parks--Sequoia and Zion Canyon being among our favorites.

So, between playing pinball, does anyone else here camp or backpack? Got any cool stories, or gear recommendations?

#2 2 years ago

Can't say I like it much. Lots of bugs and too dangerous. As it happens, my present tech support keeps me where I belong. In the rear with the gear.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Can't say I like it much. Lots of bugs and too dangerous. As it happens, my present tech support keeps me where I belong. In the rear with the gear.

IMG_4050 (resized).JPG

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Quoted from mbaumle:

When I was a Boy Scout, we camped every month. We always used cheap Walmart gear that we'd beat to death, but leaking tents or shoddy sleeping bags that would freeze our toes always made for fun stories to tell.
After I got my Eagle Scout and left the troop, I haven't camped nearly as much as I'd have liked, but after graduating college, and my fiancé getting a job with the Bureau of Land Management, we found ourselves literally camping around the country. Much cheaper than hotels.
We camped from Helena, MT to Washington state, up into Alberta, Canada; British Colombia, all the way down the coast of California; Death Valley; Las Cruces, NM; Utah, Florida, pretty much every state except for Nebraska. (Sorry, Nebraska... Next time. Maybe.). We spent time in nearly all the major national parks--Sequoia and Zion Canyon being among our favorites.
So, between playing pinball, does anyone else here camp or backpack? Got any cool stories, or gear recommendations?

IMG_4051 (resized).JPG

#5 2 years ago

That things going to be full of mosquitos come nighttime.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Are you an SCV?

#7 2 years ago

Not much of a camper but the other 2 are what we do on vacation.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Are you an SCV?

Son of a Confederate Veteran ? No.

#9 2 years ago

Does glamping count?

IMG_4294 (resized).JPG

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Does glamping count?

Hmmm, That's a small resort on wheels. Not quite the same as my version of camping.

As a matter of fact, we have our annual family camping trip coming up this weekend. We keep it simple: tent camping on a great family campground with lots of nice amenities. It's been a while since I did serious camping, and that was a wilderness trip into the Minnesota boundary waters in canoes. The pike fishing was great, but the amenities are something less than a KOA campground...

298477_2235996457072_1854481054_n (resized).jpg

381632_2235997177090_1447368744_n (resized).jpg

313290_2235997377095_1484614095_n (resized).jpg

#11 2 years ago

We like going to the lake....swimming and walking the trails. We bought a tent and camped one night. I have learned im too old to sleep on the ground. The bugs sucked around our camp fire....

So walking trails yes....camping not so much...lol

#12 2 years ago

I just got back from Philmont Scout Ranch with son #2. Ended up at over 100 miles with the pack.

Snow ball fight on the top of Mt. Baldy, and 90 degrees during a canyon hike a day later. Not a drop of rain while we were on the trail, but it let loose literally 15 minutes after we got back to base camp.

It was a great trip, but the altitude really gets to me now. I trained a lot more than I did for the trip two years ago, but getting oxygen to my legs when there isn't any in the air is tough.

toothoftime (resized).JPG

jackwindowrock (resized).JPG

#13 2 years ago

Screenshot_20170711-075442 (resized).jpg

#14 2 years ago

Been renting USFS lookouts & guard stations for years. Next month I have a week vacation planned with four different locations-- Starting with this -
acker (resized).png

Nothing better - Will be @ this location during the Perseid meteor shower Aug 13th.....

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Does glamping count?

Pffftttt.... Nah man! Those things are neat and all, but I've seen ones with better interior design and amenities than my house!

Quoted from LTG:

Lots of bugs

Quoted from Stones:

The bugs sucked

NH521-2 (resized).jpg

We call that the birth control net, since it has a 99.9% effectiveness against, well... you get the idea.

Quoted from Black_Knight:

It was a great trip, but the altitude really gets to me now.

That's a pretty incredible experience. Back in Scouts, we always dreamed of doing Summer Camp at Piedmont. We never got around to it though, since our troop was young, and it was thought that such an adventure there would be too overbearing to the newcomers, and we didn't want to exile anyone.

I feel you on the altitude sickness... Took me nearly a month to adjust to the Rocky Mountains. Here in NJ where I live, our altitude is a blistering 15 feet above sea level. Out there, we lived in an area that was just around 10,000 feet. Moderate flights of stairs would leave me winded!

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Does glamping count?

Yes. Yes it does.

034 (resized).JPG

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

As a matter of fact, we have our annual family camping trip coming up this weekend. We keep it simple: tent camping on a great family campground with lots of nice amenities. It's been a while since I did serious camping, and that was a wilderness trip into the Minnesota boundary waters in canoes. The pike fishing was great, but the amenities are something less than a KOA campground...

Growing up, our family did an annual camping trip right on memorial day weekend. Great memories of trying really hard not to burn scrambled eggs on a Coleman stove with only 2 settings: Blazing inferno, or off.

Thanks for sharing!

#18 2 years ago

Unfortunately my camping and backpacking days ended in my mid 20s. By then I realized I didn't like a hot sweaty tent, or worse, a wet tent and your head or leg against the side... soaking in water as you twist and turn on the root under you trying to sleep but the mosquito keeps doing flybys. Coming home covered in a mix of off and sun screen only to spend 4 hours cleaning pots and pans and airing out sleeping bags and then laundry.

No, now I am content to sleep in a nice hotel with clean sheets tucked tightly around all sides. Waking up to a hot breakfast cooked by someone else with mimosas and then maybe, going for a 1 hour hike followed up with a bordeux and light lunch back at the hotel.

Yes, my 20 year old self would probably want to kick my 42 year old ass, but c'est la vie

#19 2 years ago

I just went out on Saturday! Going again for a 3 night hike in Algonquin in another 2 weeks.

IMG_20170709_070830 (resized).jpg

#20 2 years ago

We used to drive up to Algonquin from Ohio when I was a kid. An underpowered Jeepster pulling a loaded down Coleman pop up camper. Certainly wasn't considered glamping!

It was a long trip, but only have fond memories of it. Always seemed to have bear problems in the campground we picked.

#21 2 years ago

I camp quite a bit with my wife and kids. We just spent a week in Yellowstone. I love to backpack and fly fish as well. Spring through fall, I spend more time fly fishing than playing pinball, most likely.

#22 2 years ago

In January we have a trip planned to hike the Camino Real across Panama. It's a 5 day trip. 4 hiking and one rafting. All through untouched rainfort. We will start at the Pacific and end at the Atlantic. It's the old gold route the Spanish used. Apparently it was lost until several years ago. The start is 15 min from my house. The drive home from the end will take 1hr 15mn. It's going to be epic

IMG_2001 (resized).JPG

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from PanaPinResto:

In January we have a trip planned to hike the Camino Real across Panama. It's a 5 day trip. 4 hiking and one rafting. All through untouched rainfort. We will start at the Pacific and end at the Atlantic. It's the old gold route the Spanish used. Apparently it was lost until several years ago. The start is 15 min from my house. The drive home from the end will take 1hr 15mn. It's going to be epic

Sounds like a heck of an adventure.
Take some pics at beginning and end and along the way, and post them here on Pinside.
Hope you see some cool wildlife.

#24 2 years ago

We used to drive from Texas to Washington during summers. I was a teacher near Fort Hood and my family was in North Seattle. A highlight was camping at Saint Regis, MT squeezing 4 of us in a tent and using their fantastic heated bathrooms/showers.

#25 2 years ago

mkmapground-thumb-510x280-49291 (resized).jpg

#26 2 years ago

^^^^I stared at that picture for a minute, that is funny-all you need for a good hike is.... compass, map, some Tang to drink and a pipe with some pot to smoke-classic! Let's go hiking!

Quoted from mbaumle:

pretty much every state except for Nebraska. (Sorry, Nebraska... Next time. Maybe.).

My favorite camping is ironically in Nebraska. I grew up and spent my summers at Lake McConaughy just outside of Ogallala, NE. It is a man made lake 20 miles long and 4 miles wide with pristine white sandy beaches. It is an oasis in the middle of corn fields. The fishing is great and the lake is clean and great for watersports. The kids absolutely love camping, it's a great way to spend time with them and slow down time from the usual day to day rat race.
https://ilovelakemac.com/lake-info/

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

My favorite camping is ironically in Nebraska.

I'm planning to drive back out west in the coming months. Maybe I'll take a detour there! Might as well strike Nebraska off the list of states!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 219.99
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
$ 10.00
Tools
Granby Games
$ 3.00
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 50.00
Lighting - Led
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 14.00
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 9.90
Playfields
The Super Fasteners
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade
$ 8.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside