(Topic ID: 198428)

Anyone Here Ever Ship A Vehicle?

By kamenoi_ostrow

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I know we've all shipped pins, but has anyone here ever shipped a vehicle? I have a truck down in Virginia Beach I'm looking to get shipped to VT. I've never done this before so if any of you have experience, lay it on me-good or bad!

#2 6 years ago

I had a car transported from CA to MI once and had no problems. You never know what can happen though. I say find a bonded and insured good company and everything should be fine.

#3 6 years ago

I had an SS Camaro shipped 2 years ago ..from Indiana to SoCal cost me 1100

#4 6 years ago

I had a car shipped against my best judgment and ended up with $3000+ in damage. I won't do it again.

There's a site that you can list what you need and the price you'd like to pay. Someone that can provide the transport will contact you if they can do it. Unfortunately I don't know what the site is, just found out about it through the mishap I went through.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

I had a car shipped against my best judgment and ended up with $3000+ in damage. I won't do it again.
    There's a site that you can list what you need and the price you'd like to pay. Someone that can provide the transport will contact you if they can do it. Unfortunately I don't know what the site is, just found out about it through the mishap I went through.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

That is uship.com

What's the value and what risk are you willing to take? If you want it done right go with an enclosed trailer from a longstanding, reputable shipper. Cheapest? Go with uship.

#6 6 years ago

Sometimes, moving companies, like Mayflower, will ship a vehicle along with household items.

#7 6 years ago

my brother does it all the time with cars - he usually ships Dodge Vipers which is his thing, but I think he has a Bentley now that he had shipped from Florida. No issues except the engine had to be reinserted into the car! Haha.. the seller, a Mr. Bollea had the car in several pieces. Anyway he flatbedded it all no problem

#8 6 years ago

Is it a classic truck or newer? Make sure you have insurance, flat bed is cheaper, but enclosed is the way to go if there is bad weather, a guy on one of my car forums had a company hau a nice super bee on a flat bed ended up going thru a storm with softball size hail that totaled the car (pictures were hard to look at) on a side note I bought a convertable from Iowa and had it hauled on a open trailer with 4 other cars and had no problems.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

my brother does it all the time with cars - he usually ships Dodge Vipers which is his thing, but I think he has a Bentley now that he had shipped from Florida. No issues except the engine had to be reinserted into the car! Haha.. the seller, a Mr. Bollea had the car in several pieces. Anyway he flatbedded it all no problem

A yellow and red Viper coming out of Florida?

Edit: Whoops, misread.

#10 6 years ago

I used my Amex points to get a 1st class ticket to Minneapolis a couple years ago. I purchased a vehicle there online and drove 26 hours home. Figured if I had to sit in my car for that long, I would treat myself on the flight. I don't do deliveries though

#11 6 years ago

I have shipped a few cars over the years and have always had good luck. Contact Don at Pricedrite Auto Transport [email protected]
    He has coordinated the shipping for two of my last Lotus cars and have not had any issues and competitive cost.
    I initially made the mistake of contacting one of the on line brokers and think I still get email from some of their shippers a few years later. A royal pita.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from icust298:

A yellow and red Viper coming out of Florida?
    Edit: Whoops, misread.

I don't know what color the car actually was, but yes you got the right idea. Totally random. We were in a Wal-Mart in Alaska getting clothes (the airline lost my bag) and he gets this call: "just checking in, brother!"

#13 6 years ago

If you want cheap transport, see if there is an "auto drivaway" in your area.

They have a bonded driver drive you car anywhere in the USA or Canada.

#14 6 years ago

I used horseless carriage based in NJ to ship an SUV from Arizona to NJ and it worked well. I recall paying somewhere around $800.

#15 6 years ago

Yes, Overseas shipments 4 times, but it was thru whoever the military made me use. If it were me I would take a train down to VA beach and drive the truck back.

#16 6 years ago

I shipped a classic car using Montway Transport, they were great, had a truck within 2 days. I made the mistake of posting what I needed, was bombed with calls, emails, texts. The broker I tried to use before Montway lied to me and did nothing but piss me off and delay me getting my car.

#17 6 years ago

I shipped a car from Tulsa Oklahoma to St. Louis. No problems at all. Cost 650 bucks in an enclosed trailer.

#18 6 years ago

i have done it many many times and had no problems - somebody above mentioned don and he is actually very good - if you want to save a little money just be very flexible on pickup and delivery. thanks ed

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from pindude80:

I shipped a classic car using Montway Transport, they were great, had a truck within 2 days.

I used Montway to ship my 66 Mustang from San Antonio to Delaware. Paid 795 door to door and they had it to my driveway in less than 36 hours.

#20 6 years ago

As with shipping pinball machines everyone with have a different experience. But from my past experience doing it all ended up well and it wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be. In my case it was a van sold here in PA and shipped to Texas and a Tracker again sold in PA and shipped to LA.

Both times everything went great for us.

#21 6 years ago

I use Passport Transport from Newport Beach, CA and Scottsdale, AZ to NJ and I have been satisfied with their service.

I am not a stickler for time, as long as the car is delivered to me in perfect condition. If they tell me the car will be delivered in 7 days and they deliver the car in 9 days, I don't care.

The price is in the $1,500 range.

#22 6 years ago

I had my Hearst shipped form Indiana to Texas. Somebody bought it from me off of Craigs list. Sent me the money and had a shipping company load it on a trailer.

#23 6 years ago

I purchased a truck from Dave Smith Motors in Idaho in Nov 2014. It was the smoothest transaction and I had my vehicle delivered on a car carrier in less than a week. The trucking company that delivered my truck charged me $1300....and that was the year we had a horrible blizzard the day before Thanksgiving. They told me in colder weather the transport cost was slightly more. Typically in the summer to go from Idaho to New York the transport cost was in the $900 range.

Didn't matter much to me since I saved over $5k on the vehicle itself. Worked out pretty well for me. Couldn't find a dealer here who could even come close to the price I paid for a 2014 Dodge Ram 6 Cylinder Fully Loaded except a premium audio system. After rebates and everything my cost was $30,392. Sticker on the truck was $45k.

#24 6 years ago

Shop around on the Internet. Once your shipment details go into the system, you'll get competitive quotes. Sorta like shopping for car insurance. I've done this several times and they always arrive on a semi trailer at my doorstep. Never had a problem.

#25 6 years ago

We ship our cars and race cars via a Car transport company and the local race shop if they have time/room.

So it really depends on how much you are willing to pay and for what kind of service. Our Car transport is a guy who has a 6-8 car holding semi, all inclosed and drives the US, white glove service. You bet you'll pay for that. The local race shop does our sub 10 hour drive stuff if they have the truck/trailer and time, they make a buck and use our insurance on the truck/trailer/car. They just provide a driver.

There are other services that will drive your car or haul it, but you may want to look into insurance and such. If you are interested in the high end car transport guy I can get his info.

#26 6 years ago

I used Dependable Auto Shippers many years ago. IIRC, it was around $1000 from North Carolina to NY. Other people I know who have used them reported similar prices regardless of the distance involved. Like pinball shipments, they can go door to door, or door to depot, with the latter being less expensive.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I don't know what color the car actually was, but yes you got the right idea. Totally random. We were in a Wal-Mart in Alaska getting clothes (the airline lost my bag) and he gets this call: "just checking in, brother!"

LOL that's awesome!! You're very lucky that nothing on that car ran wild on either of you.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from icust298:

LOL that's awesome!! You're very lucky that nothing on that car ran wild on either of you.

Yeah well actually, so the CAR was in Florida but the engine was in Atlanta (I think?).. no idea why my brother bought this car, he couldn't even test it! But hogan had HIS mechanic fly out to get the engine installed correctly. Then the car didn't run, but the guy had to roll. My brother had to pay his guy to take the car apart -again- and it turned out to be some plug that wasn't attached way under the dash. Several thousand dollars later. (Not that that's Hulk's fault). Car runs amazing now apparently

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-here-ever-ship-a-vehicle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.