(Topic ID: 162201)

Anyone here ever have a stinky machine? How did you deal with it?

By eraserhead

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Just picked up an f14 tomcat, and i am quite convinced that this thing lived most of its life in an EXTREMELY damp basement. Any tips on getting rid of the funk would be much appreciated.

In the past - a small tray of activated carbon inside the machine for a few weeks has done a pretty decent job of removing smoke / bar stank.... but i'm of the opinion that i should probably try something a little more aggressive this time around.

#2 7 years ago

If there's mold/mildew in the box, you should KILL it.

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html

#3 7 years ago

That was the first thing i checked for - no visible growth on the playfield / cabinet / backbox....

It seems to me as though it was exposed to a swamp of a basement for an extended period of time.

#4 7 years ago

You might try cleaning the inside of cab real good, then a coat of clear to seal.
    I have used different kinds of clear,most work pretty well

#5 7 years ago

After you kill the mold / mildew and wipe it down, I've always had luck with setting off one of those chlorine bombs, leave it sealed for 12 hours or so. (and stay away from it)

- Follow on with some Ozone Spray (Ozium, etc) . Finally, when you close it all back up - I recommend putting a desiccant packet (or raw desiccant silica in a sock) in the cabinet to soak up any of this moisture that may still be in the wood (even from cleaning) -
    Be sure to give the backbox and main cabinet equal attention.

good luck!

#6 7 years ago

You could try an ionizer. These machines eliminate dead body smells (don't ask me how I know.) They also suck out oxygen, so you can't stay in the room.

http://www.odorfreemachines.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-YO7BRDwi6Stp7T296ABEiQAD6iWMYkr_HHO7BYW1XzDLg2g40BaiaCjABE-s4m5JrAVIKsaAqoa8P8HAQ

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

These machines eliminate dead body smells (don't ask me how I know.)

#8 7 years ago

Dude i totally have an ionizer. Don't know why i didn't think of that sooner.

It works super for cooking stank - a quick blast (like 5 minutes - because, as you say, - they are dangerous) - and you're no longer reminded what you ate for dinner a few hours ago.

#9 7 years ago

Are the stories about ionizers/ozone eating rubber = true?

Playfield rubbers no issue as you're probably replacing them anyway. How about plastic parts/ramps/wire insulation - any concerns?

Post back what you use and your results.

#10 7 years ago

Here's a little more information (in a very general sense) in the event you're interested, mark (your comments prompted me to look a little further)..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_degradation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_cracking

Yes - rubber will crack - without knowing what type it is - it varies in severity. i would also assume most of the concerns about degradation relate to prolonged exposure - where in my case i'm literally bombing the machine for a few hours, sealing it up - and seeing what happens.

I'll gladly post back in a few days to update on where this situation stands.

Here's the ionizer i'm using... (i lent it to a buddy that bought a house someone had died/rotted in.... it DID clean things up quite well, surprisingly)

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/New-Comfort-CA3500-Acrylic-Washable-HEPA-Air-Purifier/6065643/product.html?refccid=C6GU72P6T7TJNB2DUOIUUFKT7M&searchidx=2

#11 7 years ago

Ozone machine, dryer sheets and Arm & Hammer baking soda do the trick for me.

#12 7 years ago

50 - 50 water & white vinegar(heat it up a bit), spray on...wipe off excess. Avoid metal parts if you can't wipe it off. Does the inside and out.

1 week later
    #13 7 years ago

I have not tried it personally but I hear some cheap vodka sprayed inside the cabinet will kill a lot of funky smells.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from MArmour:

I have not tried it personally but I hear some cheap vodka sprayed inside the cabinet will kill a lot of funky smells.

I have sprayed cheap vodka in my mouth, after a while I couldnt smell a damn thing.

4 months later
    #15 7 years ago

my lw3 smells like the zoo inside the cabinet, my girl says its smoke but i find its more like a barn or zoo
    any good grandmothers tips would be welcome
    i dont have a ionizer btw

#16 7 years ago

I use this with great results

http://www.damprid.com/products

#17 7 years ago

I had a smoky-smelling Nintendo Popeye machine that responded fairly well to a good wiping inside and out with windex followed up by putting a container full of pool chlorinating granules inside the cabinet for a month. The chlorine should kill off any mold/mildew too. I'm also doing this with a HS2 Getaway that I just picked up.

#18 7 years ago

Kinda depends on what you are dealing with. Certainly, you want to wipe out/destory mold. If it's a light smell you might be able to get away with Febreze. But, if it's anything of substance, you should use an Ozone Generator.

I stated collecting arcade machines and picked up a few "funky" ones. Picked up an Ozone Generator for less that $100 and it knocks all the smell out of them in a couple of hours. It also works good for cars too if you get something nasty in your car. Totally worth the money IMHO.

#19 7 years ago

Yeah, ozone works wonders, but only as long as you also remove/kill the source. I've seen black mold that needed to be bleached and sealed in with Kilz paint to finally be done away with, and at other times a bleach/dessicant combo has done the trick. I live in a dry atmosphere, so mold really isn't much of an issue for me on even the worst machines.

#20 7 years ago

Just start with a small dish of Vinegar inside the cabinet, after you have removed moisture with Damp rid.
    Then throw in Dryer sheet or Baking soda if needed, or "re scent".
    Vanilla Drops, sachet.

The small drops of "odor be gone" and products like that also work, about 75% of the time.

Depends whats causing the smell....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-here-ever-have-a-stinky-machine-how-did-you-deal-with-it?hl=emagic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.