Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Manimal
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A2360647-2B2B-446B-B9BD-6D6072A2A66F (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 5.04.10 PM (resized).png
    106F1A5D-8FFB-4932-894C-9FCE54A86C7C (resized).jpeg
    2890162E-B0CF-4396-8EC0-D203FA2C29E8 (resized).jpeg
    B75AF00A-94E6-4364-80A1-2105289B2FFB (resized).jpeg
    A3B2D3F7-0BE2-49BF-8A72-77F6B5FDCE83 (resized).jpeg
    5718A91A-23C9-4222-B334-6F13B5E67490 (resized).jpeg
    B5CAEC87-6C57-4458-992B-2E997E32E1A6 (resized).jpeg
    3214398A-124F-40AD-8C3B-C06D72F4B3B5 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0820.JPEG
    IMG_0822.JPEG
    57936882696__9321747F-A85A-4CF3-8CC8-77A7930D27FD.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ultimategameroom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 4 years ago

Call a local home improvement contractor who specializes in roofing and siding. We can’t see how your vinyl window was installed from the pictures you provided. As others said lack of aluminum drip cap might be a cause. Also there is no vinyl J channel around the window frame in the pics. Does the window have an integrated J channel built into the frame? If it’s damaged at the head of the window, This could also be the cause. Vinyl siding is incredibly easy to work with. It Doesn’t look like you need to replace any siding at all. You need theinstallation details inspected for defects or missing components. It shouldn’t be very expensive to remedy the issue.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

That’s not a busted piece of siding, that’s a rain cap for where the two windows meet in the middle. And 7 laps above the middle is just where two separate pieces of siding meet. I would bet that the rain is entering behind the siding above the windows. The flashing around the window is compromised somewhere. Not the easiest thing to fix unless your pretty handy.

You are correct. That’s not broken siding it’s actually what is called a mull strip cap. When manufacturers join two or more windows they install a mull strip cap over them where they are joined. Basically it covers the hollow vertical vinyl piece between the two windows.
    Lack of alum. head flashing seems to be the most likely cause.
    Be very glad it’s in a vinyl siding area if it was stucco or Stone it would be quite a bit harder to repair.
    Did you buy your home new? If so call your builder ASAP. New construction latent defect laws vary by state but 7-12 years are common in my area.

#17 4 years ago

Please read my first post.
    Also It’s hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the siding is caulked directly into the integrated J channel at the head of the window. The fix may be as simple as recaulking with a quality silicone.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I don't disagree. Very possible. It's also possible that the builders did every single thing correctly, the window shifted because of years of ice freezing/thawing, and now there is a way for water to get in. It happens.

If it never leaked for 14 years and this is completely new, most likely it’s failed caulk/silicone or a deterioration of the vinyl windows integrated J channel. I’ve seen vinyl “welds” fail where the various pieces are bonded to each other. UV damage sometime is the cause.
    Also keep in mind that weather has become much more extreme than it used to be. Most areas get 100 year storms every year or every few years now. Unless your house is built like a boat water will find a way in during heavy rain and very high winds.
    OP please Keep us posted.
    I’m curious to see what you find.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ultimategameroom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-here-do-windows?tu=ultimategameroom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.