By Frax

6 months ago

Stats

• 87 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 weeks ago by GravitaR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png

There are 87 posts in topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 29 days ago

I am now awaiting nearly a month and sent two emails with no response. I hope he is ok. !!

#52 29 days ago

I ordered 2 eproms from John through thatpinballplace.com on Aug 6th. They were delivered on Aug 12.

#53 29 days ago

I had a hard time getting in contact with him after I orders ROMs for my TSPP. I messaged him on Facebook and heard back a day later and my ROMs were delivered shortly after. You might try that if you have a FB account.

#54 27 days ago

No face book for me. It seems the last couple times I ordered through his site=very slow or forgot about me. When I ordered through ebay fast !. He has nothing on ebay as of this past Sunday.

#55 24 days ago
    Quoted from zene10:

I ordered 2 eproms from John through thatpinballplace.com on Aug 6th. They were delivered on Aug 12.

I ordered on the 10th of July and got bupkis, no response to any comms, a real shame as JWJR has been a National Treasure here.

#56 24 days ago

I ordered/paid for some chips a few weeks ago...nothing. I followed up with an email.....nothing. I have ordered from him multiple times in the past without issue. Not sure what the problem is lately. I hope is all well with him.

#58 24 days ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

http://www.actionpinball.com/roms.php#roms Ray has all the ROM's you need.

Ray has providing this service for many years. Way back on RGP too.

Always provides great service.

LTG : )

#59 24 days ago

Same deal here, I ordered roms 3 weeks ago and have not heard or received anything... I opened a dispute with PayPal yesterday for nondelivery.

#60 23 days ago

Being that it is over 30 days I may have to open a dispute as well. Granted only $18.00 total, but I really needed those roms. Clive at Coin Op Cauldron is where I went to get them.

#61 23 days ago

You might check @meloyelo51 his Pinside shop has a lot of ROMs available: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1083-matt-s-basement-arcade

#62 23 days ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

You might check meloyelo51 his Pinside shop has a lot of ROMs available: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1083-matt-s-basement-arcade

Just bought a rom from him, high quality labeling, packaging and lightning fast shipping. Communication.... Amazing!

#63 22 days ago

You might check meloyelo51 his Pinside shop has a lot of ROMs available: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1083-matt-s-basement-arcade

Matt provide great communication and fast shipping for me as well. Two thumbs up!

#64 22 days ago

My son bought me roms for my birthday a month ago. We have not heard from John. He was always great before.

#65 21 days ago

Does no one know the dude personally?

There must be some overwhelming issue in his life, but that's no excuse to keep accepting orders and money and then fulfilling them only when getting around to it, if at all. Do hope he's ok.

#66 21 days ago

I know the last time I spoke with him a couple months back or so, he lost his job. He does have a family and could be looking for work but I can promise you he'll get back to you and get your order completed. He's a great guy,

#67 21 days ago
    Quoted from Wolfanoz:

but I can promise you he'll get back to you and get your order completed. He's a great guy,

Just about every week for months I've seen people complaining or inquiring about the status of orders. While he used to have a stellar reputation, he has been very unresponsive to a lot of people for the past several months. I've tried contacting him a couple of times, with no luck.

Basically, he has left a lot of people in limbo with orders. Some have even done chargebacks after waiting for so long with no contact.

A number of people who have boards in for repair have not received any communication, and some just want their boards back as-is so they can send them somewhere else for repair.

I wish him the best, but it's a bit frustrating for everyone.

#68 21 days ago

I can tell you he's one of the best board guys on here, thankfully we have 3 or 4 of them. He also charges less than many others. he's done 3 boards in the past couple of years for me and I couldn't be happier with his work. Maybe his web account is up and operating but he's not around to check it..? In the meantime you can buy the ROMs from multiple other places, I'm sure he will refund you once he comes back online.

#69 21 days ago
    Quoted from Wolfanoz:

I know the last time I spoke with him a couple months back or so, he lost his job. He does have a family and could be looking for work but I can promise you he'll get back to you and get your order completed. He's a great guy,

Keep in touch with him. Job loss can really change your mental outlook and finances. If he gets into a downward spiral more things start going wrong that reinforce the negative things going on. We're all rooting for things to turn around for John.

#70 21 days ago

Doesn't make sense. If you lost your day job, wouldn't you make damn sure you were maximizing your hobby/job income and not killing it off slowly?

#71 21 days ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Doesn't make sense. If you lost your day job, wouldn't you make damn sure you were maximizing your hobby/job income and not killing it off slowly?

You are under the assumption one can make enough money at a "hobby" job to pay the mortgage and put food on the table. If that was the case, he'd have already quit his day job. Every second you spend not looking for a new job to replace the stable one you lost is like agony.

#72 21 days ago

Besides hologram stickers from rick, eproms, and a programmer, why dont more people offer this service?

#73 21 days ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Nah, I'd probably just take a night job as a gigolo instead.

#74 21 days ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You are under the assumption one can make enough money at a "hobby" job to pay the mortgage and put food on the table.

No but it would sure get a tank of gas he didn't have otherwise. It can't take that long to program a rom?

#75 21 days ago
    Quoted from Travish:

No but it would sure get a tank of gas he didn't have otherwise. It can't take that long to program a rom?

A 4mb rom takes 249 seconds. Most pin roms are much smaller than that.

#76 20 days ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You are under the assumption one can make enough money at a "hobby" job to pay the mortgage and put food on the table. If that was the case, he'd have already quit his day job. Every second you spend not looking for a new job to replace the stable one you lost is like agony.

Did I say replace? Of course not. But it must be SOME source of income, last I checked the ROMS/boardwork weren't free +shipping.

I've done the whole move to a new city and had to find a job thing so I know how much it sucks but I also know that you do all you can, then when you're waiting around (which is a lot) to hear back from whomever you could be burning ROMS and fixing boards.

#77 20 days ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Besides hologram stickers from rick, eproms, and a programmer, why dont more people offer this service?

You forgot an eraser.

You have to locate the EPROMs, hopefully they are clean and erased. If not you have to erase them, probably scrape crap off them and clean them. Check the legs are straight and not broken.

You already mentioned the stickers from Rick, which is another step. And he doesn't just give them away for free.

You have to program each one, which is pretty easy. But you have to have all the files handy and organized, or find them.

Print and put a label on each EEPROM.

Pack them, print a label, and ship.

Simple right?

Consider the time to source the EPROMs, keep them inventoried and sorted, source the packing material, pack each shipment, keep track of customers and orders and fill them.

Then answer all the typical questions when people can't figure out what EPROM goes where, or they ordered the wrong ones, or they put them in backwards, or they broke the legs.

I haven't mentioned messing with Paypal and all the headaches that come with it when people dispute charges based on their own stupidity.

Setting up a web site and updating it.

Do all that for a few bucks in the evening after your regular day job. You'll make meelions!

Anyway, the above is why I'm certainly not doing it.

#78 20 days ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

I completely understand where you're coming from. But we're both assuming the job loss wasn't due to his health or personal ability to work etc.

Hope whatever he is going through gets better.

#79 20 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Nah, I'd probably just take a night job as a gigolo instead.

You'd starve!

#80 20 days ago

Just a heads up. I am rompingirl on ebay and have been selling roms for 20 years. I also carry a full line of pal , pic , gal chips as well as old bally sound roms. John and i were friendly competitors for years , often assisting each other. I hope he is okay .
    Dave Astill

#81 20 days ago

I have always bought my ROMs from Ray at Action Pinball.

The only thing that this thread has done is encourage people to take their business elsewhere.

#82 20 days ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

You forgot an eraser.
    You have to locate the EPROMs, hopefully they are clean and erased. If not you have to erase them, probably scrape crap off them and clean them. Check the legs are straight and not broken.
    You already mentioned the stickers from Rick, which is another step. And he doesn't just give them away for free.
    You have to program each one, which is pretty easy. But you have to have all the files handy and organized, or find them.
    Pack them, print a label, and ship.
    Simple right?
    Consider the time to source the EPROMs, keep them inventoried and sorted, source the packing material, pack each shipment, keep track of customers and orders and fill them.
    Then answer all the typical questions when people can't figure out what EPROM goes where, or they ordered the wrong ones, or they put them in backwards, or they broke the legs.
    I haven't mentioned messing with Paypal and all the headaches that come with it when people dispute charges based on their own stupidity.
    Setting up a web site and updating it.
    Do all that for a few bucks in the evening after your regular day job. You'll make meelions!
    Anyway, the above is why I'm certainly not doing it.

I agree. And not only the game files but sound files and display images for Classic Stern, Bally, Gottlieb, WMS, Gameplan, Stern, etc. Then people want home ROM versions or home ROM versions that can take coin play or older ROM versions that don't have bug issues or for rare games where they don't have images.

Then you have to know what chip type to burn the image on based on the jumper settings of the game, era of game, etc. Some take 1M chips some take 2M chips. If you go to a newer version then you have to go to the larger chip and change some jumpers. Most people aren't going to know so you have to inform them.

Huge PITA I'm sure.

#83 20 days ago

per the website: http://www.thatpinballplace.com/eproms/index.htm

Site temporarily offline

9/26/2017

I have disabled my site temporarily to allow me to catch up and regroup.

Remaining orders are being filled and will be shipped.

The last few PCBs are being repaired and will be returned.

Please check back in the future.

Thanks!

#84 20 days ago

If I can patiently wait for BM66 code, I can certainly wait for John to fulfill my Whirlwind ROM order.

#85 20 days ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

per the website: http://www.thatpinballplace.com/eproms/index.htm
    Site temporarily offline
    9/26/2017
    I have disabled my site temporarily to allow me to catch up and regroup.
    Remaining orders are being filled and will be shipped.
    The last few PCBs are being repaired and will be returned.
    Please check back in the future.
    Thanks!

This was wise. He probably should have done it months ago. Hope he can get back on track he's always been my go-to for boards and ROMs.

#86 20 days ago

Keep in touch with him. Job loss can really change your mental outlook and finances. If he gets into a downward spiral more things start going wrong that reinforce the negative things going on. We're all rooting for things to turn around for John.

I know what it feels like. It's horrible knowing you can't take care of your family in the meantime. I've been there twice in the past ten years due to layoffs.

I talked to him and he plans on taking care of everyone as soon as he can. He's just trying to get on his feet as of now with sustainable work other than his other stuff which is his side business.

#87 20 days ago

Notice put up on website today.

pasted_image (resized).png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 299.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 53.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 64.99
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.50
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 87 posts in topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.