(Topic ID: 322446)

Anyone have this problem with Shay repro backglasses?

By gutz

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221001_162713 (resized).jpg
20221001_162152 (resized).jpg
20220918_172943 (resized).jpg
20220918_172950 (resized).jpg
20220918_171443 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I purchased a Shay reproduction backglass for Gottlieb's Amazing Spiderman. The colors and artwork are gorgeous but the transparent green in the score windows look really bad. The windows are hazy and make the displays blurry and dim. I have the machine sitting next to a Hulk and you can see a stark difference between factory and reproduction. The camera makes the repro look better, its worse in person.

This is my first Shay. Are they all like this or should I contact Shay about a possible defect?

20220918_171443 (resized).jpg20220918_171443 (resized).jpg20220918_172943 (resized).jpg20220918_172943 (resized).jpg20220918_172950 (resized).jpg20220918_172950 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Is there film over it?

#3 1 year ago

I have Shay's in both my Hulk and Spider-Man, neither have that issue.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Is there film over it?

No sir

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I have Shay's in both my Hulk and Spider-Man, neither have that issue.

Thanks for the input!

#6 1 year ago

Shay are top dollar and you should get what you pay for. I would contact them to make this right...

That said, it looks like you might have bright LEDs in the backbox or maybe it's just the camera? Definitely stick to 1-SMD or even retro LEDs in the backbox for a less spotty look

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Shay are top dollar and you should get what you pay for. I would contact them to make this right...
That said, it looks like you might have bright LEDs in the backbox or maybe it's just the camera? Definitely stick to 1-SMD or even retro LEDs in the backbox for a less spotty look

Those are tried and true #47 lamps. Its the camera making them spotty. The camera made the lamps worse and the display windows look better!

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from gutz:

Those are tried and true #47 lamps. Its the camera making them spotty. The camera made the lamps worse and the display windows look better!

OK that's good. The Shay glasses are similar to the original factory glass so 47 should be perfect. The BGResto glasses have a little thicker artwork to shine through and need a little brighter bulb to get the right lighting.

#9 1 year ago

I reached out and Shay offered a refund if I ship it back. He didn't really address if all the glasses have dark windows or if mine is defective, so an exchange might yield no change. He said over 300 spiderman glasses sold and no complaints. Assuming I would have to eat the return shipping cost, I'm not sure what I will do.

#10 1 year ago

Did you try wiping off the windows with a damp cloth? Maybe there's some sort of residue on them?

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Did you try wiping off the windows with a damp cloth? Maybe there's some sort of residue on them?

I did try that to no avail.

#12 1 year ago

They may be able to be polished clear again. Mask off the area outside of the windows and use some plastic polish and hope for improvement. Sorry if that isn't very helpful.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

They may be able to be polished clear again. Mask off the area outside of the windows and use some plastic polish and hope for improvement. Sorry if that isn't very helpful.

I'd probably run this by Shay first. If the buyer tried it without getting Shay's feedback and it went awry, the buyer might be stuck w/it.

But if Shay says 'OK' and 'try this' - yeah, I'd give it a try. Might take some patience polishing. And I'd definitely get Shay's input about protecting the BG area where there's artwork. Poster board (Walmart, <$1) with cutouts in the areas that need polishing comes to mind. Definitely wouldn't use painters tape.

#14 1 year ago

Polishing glass is not an easy thing.

1 week later
#15 1 year ago

What started as a reasonable question about a received product has turned into a terrible customer experience. After sending many pictures describing what I was seeing, I was gaslighted and given responses that 'Its difficult to tell what the issue is'. No evidence was provided to prove that my glass was normal reproduction quality. He graciously offered to accept a full refund with shipping if the glass is returned unbroken. I feel like this glass is the best available option - even with the blurry windows - so I politely declined and decided to keep the glass. There was no offer of an exchange. In his next message it felt like we came to an amicable decision of 'it is what it is' and he said that he hasn't had any returns on the spiderman glass before and that his machine/glass doesn't have this issue. I was curious to see what his glass looked like (I've only seen one reproduction and maybe I was being unreasonable) and asked for pics with the displays on/off. Evidently, this poked the bear. He came back very confrontational, defensive, and insisted I return the glass. I replied trying to explain it was a simple, respectful, request for comparison pics because I have nothing to compare mine to. His last reply was the equivalent of storming out of a conversation. NOW it is what it is

I'm keeping the glass and just sharing my customer experience, even though I will likely be blacklisted for it. The artwork is incredible but I think my windows were screened a bit thick. I hope no one else has this issue. If you do, prepare for a soup nazi style customer service experience.

#16 1 year ago
20221001_162152 (resized).jpg20221001_162152 (resized).jpg20221001_162713 (resized).jpg20221001_162713 (resized).jpg
#17 1 year ago

Had a similar experience with this outfit years ago over an incomplete set
of PF plastics. Tried working with them but they got very defensive and
confrontational. Haven't done business with them since although I
sure could use a better BG for my Spidey.

#18 1 year ago

I'd be more irritated about the colors being off than the fuzziness of the score.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I'd be more irritated about the colors being off than the fuzziness of the score.

Agree 100%. The least of your issues are the display windows and in my opinion the haziness hides the unlit digit segments. Why is Doc Ock yellow? Did they run out of green??? That is your much bigger issue.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Agree 100%. The least of your issues are the display windows and in my opinion the haziness hides the unlit digit segments. Why is Doc Ock yellow? Did they run out of green??? That is your much bigger issue.

The angular lines on the bottom right of the display are also a lot more red. Comparing that with the building-vertical lines starting under the "16" in the score, it looks like at least one other color was missed. (In factory, it looks like a more-orange yellow, which is the same color used in the vertical building under the "16". But in the repro, it looks like he just went with the standard red for the angled lines, and then under the "16" went with the other standard yellow.)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Saint Paul, MN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.