(Topic ID: 40842)

Anyone have that one machine that won't stay fixed?

By xbloodgreenx

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pinstyle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sharon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from coz6:

My poor NBA Fastbreak. Fix this play and break that, fix this and watch the game blow up that, just got the game down to one faulty switch and one lightbulb that won't work.

Better leave one of those unfixed to prevent future repairs!

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from DEWSHO:

Noob here. I work in a printing plant as an industrial electrician. Our wires take a severe beating in terms of ink, vibration, heat, etc... and hold up pretty well. Why do pins have problems with broken wires? And are these solder joints bad because of who soldered them or do they go bad? Can't wait to get one of my own and find out but I want to go in with as much info as I can have.

Well, my Doctor Who was made in 1992....sure, you remember 1992, it wasn't that long ago, right? 1992 was 20 years ago. Almost all of these machines were made to go in an arcade or be played publicly somewhere. When your business depends on working machines and the repair guy won't be around till next week, or even next month, people did their own repairs. I've got a lot of crazy patching in mine - wire soldered into the middle of other wires - likely because someone had a soldering iron but not the replacement for what was actually not working. It did the job, so when the repair guy came around, it was working. OR, you have a home user that doesn't want to trace the problem and buy the part, they just want it to work.

I think it's a combination of bad solder and it just getting old and brittle over time. Your wires where you work don't get used religiously for years and years and then not much, and then stuck in a garage or shed where they are exposed to extremes of temperature and humidity, and possibly critters. My Ford (actual truck, not a game lol) has a bad solder point in the dash lighting, so the odometer will only light up when it's cold. I know where the bad point is, and I know how to solder, but from everything I've read, tearing the dash apart is a monster job. And that's an issue specific to my vehicle....bad soldering job.

For whatever reason, you should expect solder to need retouching when you buy a used pin, and sometimes, other things too. If not now, eventually.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sharon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-have-that-one-machine-that-wont-stay-fixed?tu=Sharon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.