Anyone have luck with LEDs in Funhouse backbox?

By Shredso

9 months ago

Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Shredso
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2017-02-16 21.23.08 (resized).jpg
2017-02-16 21.23.21 (resized).jpg

#1 9 months ago

I always use Frosted cool whites, I've always been very happy with them. It totally washed out the Funhouse translite. I changed it back to incandescent but now it looks drab compared to the rest of the game. I thought I read somewhere that the repro has an extra white layer or something, has anyone tried it? The only place that has it in stock is Pinball Decals and it isn't cheap.

#2 9 months ago

try warm white frosted. its how i did my funhouse, and its not washed out as much

#3 9 months ago
Quoted from PinsideTroll:

try warm white frosted. its how i did my funhouse, and its not washed out as much

I was thinking that but wondering if it would look weird with the rest of the game being cool white.

#4 9 months ago

Have frosted leds in mine and looks great and just like all my other pins...

#5 9 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Have frosted leds in mine and looks great and just like all my other pins...

I wonder if this is a repro and not original. Any idea how to check?

#6 9 months ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I wonder if this is a repro and not original. Any idea how to check?

I have had issues with repro tranlights .... whats the back look like?

#7 9 months ago

Repro Translites can be thinner, and give LEDs of any shade a headache.

One solution is a diffusion layer.
This can be an opaque Silicone sheet, an opaque thin plastic sheet. baking sheets,
get creative, some heat protection and test. If it solves the look, you can stick with what you have. If its the Hue of white that bothers you try a few things.
Sunlight White or Warm White.

Or remove some LEDs, or even mix LED and incandescent.

There are many ways to change this, but only you yourself will know the look you want.

#8 9 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I have had issues with repro tranlights .... whats the back look like?

It looks great with no light and incandescent light. I just wish it popped with LEDs like the new clearcoated playfield and new plastics.

2017-02-16 21.23.21 (resized).jpg

2017-02-16 21.23.08 (resized).jpg

#9 9 months ago

I have the Cointaker kit and the PPS repro translite and it looks terrific.

#10 9 months ago

Looks original to me....

#11 9 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I have the Cointaker kit and the PPS repro translite and it looks terrific.

Do you have an original translite to compare it to? It doesn't look like PPS has them in stock. It's not even listed as a product unless I'm searching wrong. The only place I could find that has them in stock is Pinball Decals. I could email them and see what version it is.

#12 9 months ago

Yours is an original. I had gone back and forth with Rick when I was doing my restoration because the print wasn't aligned properly on two versions of the translite that they sent me. It was a pain, but the final one was great.

The reproductions actually have a thicker white layer on the back, which allows the brighter LEDs to look more natural and spreads the light out better.

I would email PPS and ask them if they'll make you one. Not sure why they're not listing it now since they hold the license for it and I'm pretty sure they print them on demand...at least it seemed that way when I was going through my prolonged process to get a perfect one.

#13 9 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yours is an original. I had gone back and forth with Rick when I was doing my restoration because the print wasn't aligned properly on two versions of the translite that they sent me. It was a pain, but the final one was great.
The reproductions actually have a thicker white layer on the back, which allows the brighter LEDs to look more natural and spreads the light out better.
I would email PPS and ask them if they'll make you one. Not sure why they're not listing it now since they hold the license for it and I'm pretty sure they print them on demand...at least it seemed that way when I was going through my prolonged process to get a perfect one.

I just sent an email to see what is available.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 60.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Providence, RI
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Arlington, VA
$ 18.99
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 219.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 44.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 859.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 15.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 276 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside