• 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by conserx
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Someone must have tried this.

#2 10 years ago

Well not sure about coloring, but here is a thread that shows some nice decalling :
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-got-a-new-suit

#3 10 years ago

I have done two of them and getting ready to do a third.
What I do is use a large mask and completely mask the side or area I'm going to fix. Then I use an exacto and trace all the area that I'm going to paint and peel of the mask exposing the faded area. I use Montana spray paint because it dries fast the the color is correct. Spary and wait to Dry and peel looks great and both the people I did this for where pretty darn happy with it. I also did his face on the side with a little tan. A slight spray and the black still comes through bold. Markmon has pics I don't think I have any.

#4 10 years ago

With mask and all supplies prob a $75 fix and it takes me about 2-3 hours to do

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Iamdarras:

I have done two of them and getting ready to do a third.
What I do is use a large mask and completely mask the side or area I'm going to fix. Then I use an exacto and trace all the area that I'm going to paint and peel of the mask exposing the faded area. I use Montana spray paint because it dries fast the the color is correct. Spary and wait to Dry and peel looks great and both the people I did this for where pretty darn happy with it. I also did his face on the side with a little tan. A slight spray and the black still comes through bold. Markmon has pics I don't think I have any.

You should do a thread when you do your next JM. I think there are alot of JM owners, including myself, who could benefit.

#6 10 years ago

Im kind of confused on how you cut out the masked area if you cant see it throught the masking paper. Is it 12" masking tape or paper? And can you see through it to cut out the letters?

#7 10 years ago

I'll do a step by step next week when I do mine

#8 10 years ago

Ugh would never do this halfway method to my JM, I hear true full cabinet decals will be avail by years end.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from conserx:

Ugh would never do this halfway method to my JM, I hear true full cabinet decals will be avail by years end.

Astropin's 50% decal job turned out real nice, IMO....

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from conserx:

Well when the new decals come out you could just pull the old ones along with the paint on top of them. BAM!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Im kind of confused on how you cut out the masked area if you cant see it throught the masking paper. Is it 12" masking tape or paper? And can you see through it to cut out the letters?

If you're using a frisket to mask (which you should) then it's transparent, and easy to see what you're cutting. Adheres well for a clean edge, but peels up without leaving a residue.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you're using a frisket to mask (which you should) then it's transparent, and easy to see what you're cutting. Adheres well for a clean edge, but peels up without leaving a residue.

What is a frisket and were can I buy one.

#13 10 years ago

Frisket is just a transparent masking film. You can buy it in sheets or rolls from a good art supply store, or order it online. For a cabinet you'd want a roll. It's tacky, so it sticks and gives you a clean line if you're spraying, but it comes up clean, and won't pull paint or leave residue behind.

So roll out your frisket over the letters, and cut out what you want to paint. You'll want to mask the rest of the cabinet with just paper or whatever, only need the frisket for the parts you need to see/cut. Use a straight edge to cut all the straight lines, and only free hand the curves, you should get a pretty clean result. Just takes a little time and patience, and a steady hand. Oh, and make sure you use new blades on your exacto, and change them if they start to dull.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from conserx:

That would be awesome. Who's your source - someone inside Planetary Pinball I hope?

1 month later
#15 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

That would be awesome. Who's your source - someone inside Planetary Pinball I hope?

Was told well over a year ago that PPS have zero interest in running JM cab art due to licence fee & low prod run of JM machines i.e. not worth it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 29.00
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 37.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-have-luck-coloring-in-red-fade-on-jm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.