(Topic ID: 91687)

Anyone cancel their MMr LE order recently?

By chooch

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-1-126.jpeg
    indianajones_narrowweb__300x430,0.jpg
    sotu_2008.jpg
    There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Whatever the reason you're making the right move... wait, let them work the bugs out, let the hype die down, play it and if you still want one you will be able to save some money and grab one of the many HUO's that will be available.

from flippers like teekee...

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

1000 new MM machines should have been the limit to keep at least some of its mistique...

Rick is purposefully blowing up mystique, and I say good for him. Artificially limiting things so less people can enjoy them in the name of boosting up prices isn't good for the hobby, even if people with expensive MMs are sad about it.

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from Iceman5000:

I love the people saying production of MMr is going to be "unlimited". Name any pinball in the history of pinball that has had an "unlimited" production? What makes you think that MMr is going to be the first unlimited production pinball? I will be completely shocked if total MMr production is > 2000.

"Not artificially limited, dictated by the market" is a mouthful though.

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

from flippers like teekee...

yes, flippers like myself with a vast array of knowledge and common sense...stick with me and you'll go far. I've seen some improvement in you already.

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Rick is purposefully blowing up mystique, and I say good for him. Artificially limiting things so less people can enjoy them in the name of boosting up prices isn't good for the hobby, even if people with expensive MMs are sad about it.

It killed a lot of collector's markets in the early 90's through now, as well. Namely the Comic Book and Baseball card markets, and to some degree the collectible toy market.

Interestingly enough, vintage examples of all of the above things held their value. It was the "collector boom" that killed the value of everything that came after.

#56 9 years ago

That said, I'm all for the remaking of games. I like the idea of getting my hands on a reasonbly priced MM or CC, or any other unattainable financially title that exists now.

And I still think the vintage examples will hold their value among collector's, although they might take a little hit.

#57 9 years ago

I ended up bailing on my MMr, but not because I thought it buying it was a bad idea or had buyers remorse-a LOTR came along, and I couldn't say no.
    Anybody who's still in should be super-stoked; looks like PPS and Rick are going to do it right!

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

looks like PPS and Rick are going to do it right!

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Artificially limiting things so less people can enjoy them in the name of boosting up prices isn't good for the hobby, even if people with expensive MMs are sad about it.

Well, for the short period of time that MMr was to be limited, $8000 seemed somewhat OK . But now that they have decided that more than 1000 are to be made, and as long as people are buying them they will keep making them, $8000 seems a bit inflated to me. But maybe not to others.

#60 9 years ago

I cancelled recently. No major reason. I just wasn't feeling it.

I owned an original, unrestored very nice MM for 9 years and sold it because I just didn't play it much anymore and have limited room. I got caught up in a bit of the hype around the Expo announcement, but I sobered up and realized the reason I sold my MM is the same reason I'm not paying $8k for another one. I just got tired of it and am enjoying playing other machines more.

With the 1000 LE's and the who knows how many standards, there should be no shortage of MM's out there to purchase should I change my mind in the future.

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from mechslave:

I cancelled recently. No major reason. I just wasn't feeling it.
    I owned an original, unrestored very nice MM for 9 years and sold it because I just didn't play it much anymore and have limited room. I got caught up in a bit of the hype around the Expo announcement, but I sobered up and realized the reason I sold my MM is the same reason I'm not paying $8k for another one. I just got tired of it and am enjoying playing other machines more.
    With the 1000 LE's and the who knows how many standards, there should be no shortage of MM's out there to purchase should I change my mind in the future.

I'm still in on the pre-order but have been thinking along similar lines. MM was not on my want list because I like AFM a little more (which I already own) and didn't think there was room for both due to their similarities. However, I couldn't resist the allure of a brand new MM.

Been thinking it might be better to stay with my original attitude and save the money for one of the new machines on the horizon, perhaps P3 or Lawlor's next pin.

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

pinside ... all knowing ... as you emailed me twice already, I think the check went out either today or tomorrow ... oy.

From cancellation request to the receipt of my refund it took about 2 weeks. that being said,I never got a confirm that PPS received my request or when the refund check was sent out. And yes,I DID expect some kind of confirmation when there's a $1K check coming to me in the mail. I even requested in a separate email to confirm PPS's receipt of my refund and got no response.

Anyway, don't worry they are on the up and up and you'll get your refund fairly quickly.but they should communicate a little better too. (And maybe even cut down on the snarky responses on pinside too, but I'll quit while I'm ahead)

#63 9 years ago

I've been watching these prices go up like everyone else, and I put a self imposed limit of spending $7500 on any NIB game. I was in on WOZ at 6500, and Hobbit at 7500. So it looks like thats the end of NIB for me. Its just a personal line that I drew in the sand.

There are lots of older games I would like to revisit or possibly own that cost less. Some of these new titles all seem to be taking quite a hit, so there will be plenty of HUO games around later.

#64 9 years ago

you have to draw a line somewhere. I drew mine a little while back at 6k. before that it was $3500.

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Well, for the short period of time that MMr was to be limited, $8000 seemed somewhat OK . But now that they have decided that more than 1000 are to be made, and as long as people are buying them they will keep making them, $8000 seems a bit inflated to me. But maybe not to others.

Well it's too much for me, no thanks. I seem to have accepted $7k, but even that's ridiculous.

#66 9 years ago

8k will not stick in the long run....trust me.

indianajones_narrowweb__300x430,0.jpgindianajones_narrowweb__300x430,0.jpg

#67 9 years ago

You probably rite,
    th-1-126.jpegth-1-126.jpeg

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you have to draw a line somewhere. I drew mine a little while back at 6k. before that it was $3500.

yep, I had about the same lines too. (3,500 & 5,000)

A couple things happened though.
    a) The machines I owned could be sold, and with a funds added, I could and did purchase past my old limits.
    b) Stern made a Star Trek themed pin.

Yes, if I was just pulling cash out of a bank account, your limits and mine would apply.

As to the OP's topic, nope, I have not cancelled.

I think it is terrific that PPS has backed off the freezing of the deposits,
    so that this can all settle down.

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

yep, I had about the same lines too. (3,500 & 5,000)
    A couple things happened though.
    a) The machines I owned could be sold, and with a funds added, I could and did purchase past my old limits.
    b) Stern made a Star Trek themed pin.
    Yes, if I was just pulling cash out of a bank account, your limits and mine would apply.
    As to the OP's topic, nope, I have not cancelled.
    I think it is terrific that PPS has backed off the freezing of the deposits,
    so that this can all settle down.

that is true, and because my games sold for stupid money (which I still think was stupid money), it's the only reason my limit increased. And there are plenty of great games out there, that are still dirt cheap. Just as fun as any 2k+ game, if not more. No loss either way, and I feel like an asshole for paying 6k for any game, regardless of what it is. You just can't get 6k worth of fun out of one game.

#70 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You just can't get 6k worth of fun out of one game.

I completely agree. If it weren't for the fact that I expect or at least hope to get something like $5k back out of it when I sell it (speaking generically, not about any particular pin), it means that I only have to get $1k of fun from it. It would drastically alter the calculus if the bottom were to drop out and pins lose half or three-quarters of their value. I do not deny that that could happen, but I am betting at the moment that it won't be any time soon.

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that is true, and because my games sold for stupid money (which I still think was stupid money), it's the only reason my limit increased. And there are plenty of great games out there, that are still dirt cheap. Just as fun as any 2k+ game, if not more. No loss either way, and I feel like an asshole for paying 6k for any game, regardless of what it is. You just can't get 6k worth of fun out of one game.

I'm with you in principle and I've never paid 6K for a game. But the premise is a bit disingenuous. You don't exactly use up your 6K game and then throw it away.

#72 9 years ago

that is true, but I don't look at it as what I can get now. Market is always changing and now dropping, so if the market drops out all of a sudden. how much am I into it. Years from now, if I need to sell, I have no idea what it will be worth. Expect much less, due to things usually go in phases, and Pinballs hot phase was about 2 years ago.

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Not even your AC/DC? Because that's a pretty fun game!

#74 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Sure I can. Some people get $6k worth of fun out of a family vacation, and that only lasts a week or two.

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

For me its still about owning an original. If I'm lucky enough to get one and give it a HEP treatment and come in at 8k I will be more than happy~

What exactly is a HEP treatment? Some guy who does restorations?

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

well, yes, but that is like saying wayne gretsky is some guy who played hockey.

#77 9 years ago

Change "some guy" to "the guy".

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

Not even your AC/DC? Because that's a pretty fun game!

Not really. When I compare it to everything else in my collection. Everything else cost $3400 or less. Makes me feel like a dumbass for paying 6k for a game that isn't any more fun than anything else I have. Granted, it's a great game. But how many games do I have to play to get $6000 worth out of it? 6000 at $1 a play. I'm somewhere around 700-900 currently. Maybe i'll reach the mark, maybe not.

#79 9 years ago

HEP = Chris Hutchens, High End Pinball

One of, if not the, top pinball restoration guy(s).

#80 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Not really. When I compare it to everything else in my collection. Everything else cost $3400 or less. Makes me feel like a dumbass for paying 6k for a game that isn't any more fun than anything else I have. Granted, it's a great game. But how many games do I have to play to get $6000 worth out of it? 6000 at $1 a play. I'm somewhere around 700-900 currently. Maybe i'll reach the mark, maybe not.

If thats how you really think then maybe you shouldn't be buying any games. I buy them for fun and play...whatever residual value there is down the road will be whatever it is. I'm not going to worry about that at this time.

#81 9 years ago

Most of my games I get value vs fun out of. It's just when you start reaching 5 and 6k, it gets very hard to justify. Unless it comes with a Happy ending bonus package deal.

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-have-luck-canceling-their-mmr-le-order-recently/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.