New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 166810)

Anyone Have Bally Factory Photos 1979-1983?

By JoeNewberry

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Ballypin
  • Topic is favorited by 39 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 47 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20201019_205930 (resized).jpg
    20201019_205735 (resized).jpg
    20201019_205908_001 (resized).jpg
    20201019_205850_001 (resized).jpg
    20201019_211552 (resized).jpg
    20201019_185422 (resized).jpg
    20201019_185359 (resized).jpg
    20201019_211049_001 (resized).jpg
    20201015_154111 (resized).jpg
    20201015_154055 (resized).jpg
    20201015_153853 (resized).jpg
    20201013_221806_001 (resized).jpg
    20201013_221509_001 (resized).jpg
    20201013_221348 (resized).jpg
    20201013_221335 (resized).jpg
    20201013_221447 (resized).jpg

There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago

I saw the Bally Man in parts last week. There's a plan to use it in the future, but don't hold your breath.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from BlackCatBone:

Beautiful set of photos. The one of Bally Man in the lobby: is that a large photo, or an image reflected in crazed glass, or something else? I'm trying to process the image and having trouble.

Almost looks like a marble (or stone type) wall that it's on and with the sunlight coming in the windows its giving off a reflection.

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

I saw the Bally Man in parts last week. There's a plan to use it in the future, but don't hold your breath.

You do realize what you just started right??? It's going to be "Bally is getting back into pinball"

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

You do realize what you just started right??? It's going to be "Bally is getting back into pinball"

Not really. Plan is the Bally Man will be placed on a building that still has to be build and that could take some time before it happens (if it happens at all)

#55 3 years ago

Beautiful set of photos. The one of Bally Man in the lobby: is that a large photo, or an image reflected in crazed glass, or something else? I'm trying to process the image and having trouble.

There's a reflection of the front doors on the wall Bally Man is on.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Almost looks like a marble (or stone type) wall that it's on and with the sunlight coming in the windows its giving off a reflection.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

There's a reflection of the front doors on the wall Bally Man is on.

I agree. The lights from the doors is reflecting on the (shiny) marble wall.

#57 3 years ago

Thanks. I see it now. Bally Man is mounted to the wall, pretty much the way the larger version was mounted on the exterior wall on Belmont Avenue.

#58 3 years ago

I took that photo in the mid 1970's with a 620 film Kodak camera. Believe it or not, while a marble wall, the wood figure was suspended from the ceiling by string or monofilament line with the figure just barely touching the wall. I remember touching the figure and it moved so I backed away.

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Not really. Plan is the Bally Man will be placed on a building that still has to be build and that could take some time before it happens (if it happens at all)

I plan to recreate a half-size version one day.

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I took that photo in the mid 1970's with a 620 film Kodak camera. Believe it or not, while a marble wall, the wood figure was suspended from the ceiling by string or monofilament line with the figure just barely touching the wall. I remember touching the figure and it moved so I backed away.

Wow, 620 film. I haven't used that in almost 40 years. My mom had an old Brownie box camera that I sometimes used.

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Where did you see the Bally Man?

#62 3 years ago

Where did you see the Bally Man?

I'll speculate it was in a certain Big Hit Shed....

#63 3 years ago

What exactly is " The Bally Man"? What is his history, meaning, significance?

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

You could be correct

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Ok, explain for the dense crowd

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

(Edit - Mr. Bally answers this below, much better than me. )

#67 3 years ago

I was looking through the 1995 picture set and came across this pic:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/26432743@N05/19982115551/in/album-72157656310337275/

I don't think I've ever seen this, whatever it was. "World Steroid Cup Bowling Soccer" or something. Then I thought it looked familiar:
    http://static.wixstatic.com/media/ce5427_212db2805376434b8a59fbbe040608cc~mv2.jpg_srz_500_500_75_22_0.5_1.2_75_png_srz

Looks very similar. Was the first pic some long-lost Lawlor design? Or is it something I've missed after all these years?

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hop-Pac:

What exactly is " The Bally Man"? What is his history, meaning, significance?

Bally Man was Bally's logo for awhile. He's on the apron of some EMs. Others will have to chime in with more.

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

The"Big Hit Shed" is Tim Arnold's nickname for his warehouse. It's where he held his "Fun Nights" a few times a year to raise money for the Salvation Army and to fund the building of the Pinball Hall of Fame.

It's a large, "reverse L-shaped building" near Annie Oakley Blvd. & Russel Road in Las Vegas/Paradise Valley.

As many know/realize. Tim likes to self-depreciate himself as well as fellow pinheads. "Big Hit Shed" is a play on words of "Big Shit Head".

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Bally Man was Bally's logo for awhile. He's on the apron of some EMs. Others will have to chime in with more.

The Bally Man logo was also munted on the wall of one or more Bally buildings. It's a steel logo that used to have neon lighting behind it.

#71 3 years ago

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Yes, that is the Bally Belmont plant & General offices. It always was a manufacturing facility. It was added on to the East in 1968. It was vacated by Bally in 1983 becoming Moloney Coachbuilders for a few years before being demolished to make way for Townhouse & Condo development.

Here are a few photos from 1989 with the building renamed Moloney Coachbuilders. Yes, the grandson of Bally's founder, Ray Moloney, had a limousine, shuttle bus, ambulance and fire rescue manufacturing business and located it in the Bally building after Bally moved their plants to the Chicago suburbs and their headquarters at 8700 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue.
    At first (around 1985) Just the Bally logo was removed and the sign said "Moloney Manufacturing Corporation". Unfortunately, I did not take any photos of that signage.

20161202_131049_001 (resized).jpg20161202_131019 (resized).jpg20161202_131000 (resized).jpg

Added over 4 years ago: In the top photo, which is looking North on Washtenaw, you can see the Henry Grebe shipyard which was just North of Bally's property.

All of this is gone and part of the townhomes that went up on the former Bally site. Ironically, the original name of the townhomes were marketed as "The Boatyard". I thought a tribute to Bally would have been more appropriate.

The WMS/Scientific Games employee parking lot (entry is on Roscoe/Hon. Louis J. Nicastro Way) abuts the Townhomes.

#73 3 years ago

This is a really interesting thread. I love to see and hear about pinball history.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

The Bally Man logo was also munted on the wall of one or more Bally buildings. It's a steel logo that used to have neon lighting behind it.

See post #6 in this thread for one of the only photos available of the sign lit up. I took that photo myself over 40 years ago. There was only one sign like that. None of Bally's other buildings had the Bally man/Harlequin as part of their exterior signage. Not The Acorn Lane or Melrose leased buildings in Franklin Park or the new (in 1979) Bensenville plant when the Pinball manufacturing division was consolidated there in a new from the ground up building.

#75 3 years ago

A couple more I found from Black Friday, 1975.....

Bally Belmont 1975a (resized).PNG

Bally Belmont 1975 (resized).PNG

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

If anyone has an EM with Bally Man on the apron, would you please take a pic and post it? I really like the look of it and would like to somehow include him in my game room, but I can't find a clear picture anywhere

#78 3 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures MrBally - very much appreciated.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Here are a few photos from 1989 with the building renamed Moloney Coachbuilders. Yes, the grandson of Bally's founder, Ray Moloney, had a limousine, shuttle bus, ambulance and fire rescue manufacturing business and located it in the Bally building after Bally moved their plants to the Chicago suburbs and their headquarters at 8700 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue.

Holy shit, what are the odds??! Several years ago I found and documented one of the first online appearances of a "Moloney Coupe". Back then I had NO idea who "Moloney" was, let alone any connection to Bally (not that it would have mattered to me then since I was a few years away from my pin addiction)...

Anyway, yeah. Legends of Bally being run by the mob are TOTALLY more believeable since this was a total mob (pimp) ride. The one I saw predates the building takeover by at least a decade, though:

MoloneyCoupe (resized).jpg

For anyone interested, my submission made it to Jalopnik's front page in 2009: http://jalopnik.com/5228094/look-upon-my-works-ye-mighty-and-despair-the-moloney-coupe

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Holy shit, what are the odds??! Several years ago I found and documented one of the first online appearances of a "Moloney Coupe". Back then I had NO idea who "Moloney" was, let alone any connection to Bally (not that it would have mattered to me then since I was a few years away from my pin addiction)...
    Anyway, yeah. Legends of Bally being run by the mob are TOTALLY more believeable since this was a total mob (pimp) ride. The one I saw predates the building takeover by at least a decade, though:

For anyone interested, my submission made it to Jalopnik's front page in 2009: http://jalopnik.com/5228094/look-upon-my-works-ye-mighty-and-despair-the-moloney-coupe

Pretty cool article. You called it a Monroney but I assume that was a typo. Do you remember how much that guy was asking for it at the time?

Edit: The more I look at that car the more I love it.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Pretty cool article. You called it a Monroney but I assume that was a typo. Do you remember how much that guy was asking for it at the time?

Yeah I made that mistake because every time I saw the Irish clover I thought of another guy... unfortunately Jalopnik also missed this when they posted it so now I forever look like a dumbass.

After all this time I don't recall exactly what it was... less than $10K but quite a bit more than $5K... I'm thinking it was more like around $7-8K. Can't be sure, but I'd resurrected a '75 MarkIV in 2008 and remember "comparing" it to that... as if it were possible. It eventually did sell locally and I'd occasionally see it around town now and then for a year or so, but have not seen it at all since 2011. The dealer closed in 2013.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Yeah I made that mistake because every time I saw the Irish clover I thought of another guy... unfortunately Jalopnik also missed this when they posted it so now I forever look like a dumbass.
    After all this time I don't recall exactly what it was... less than $10K but quite a bit more than $5K... I'm thinking it was more like around $7-8K. Can't be sure, but I'd resurrected a '75 MarkIV in 2008 and remember "comparing" it to that... as if it were possible. It eventually did sell locally and I'd occasionally see it around town now and then for a year or so, but have not seen it at all since 2011. The dealer closed in 2013.

Last off topic post but I took these pics of a Lincoln on my way to Thanksgiving dinner last week. It was just sitting in a closed gas station parking lot in Shoals, IN. It had that old musty car smell inside.

IMG_0277 (resized).JPG

IMG_0276 (resized).JPG

IMG_0278 (resized).JPG

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from bjsilverballs:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/26432743@N05/19982115551/in/album-72157656310337275/
    I don't think I've ever seen this, whatever it was. "World Steroid Cup Bowling Soccer" or something. Then I thought it looked familiar:
    http://static.wixstatic.com/media/ce5427_212db2805376434b8a59fbbe040608cc~mv2.jpg_srz_500_500_75_22_0.5_1.2_75_png_srz
    Looks very similar. Was the first pic some long-lost Lawlor design? Or is it something I've missed after all these years?

Pretty similar pose IMO. Maybe Yousi was the artist for that as well.

Anyone know what the NHL game is claiming to use DCS?

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from bjsilverballs:

That was Williams' "Strike Master" shuffle alley. And you're right, there are some striking similarities to Dialed In...

36001002 (resized).jpg
    ~~~~~~~

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Last off topic post but I took these pics of a Lincoln on my way to Thanksgiving dinner last week

That's a Continental Mark III, the '69-'71 entry to the Mark series. Always liked that one better than the IV myself... just a leaner, cleaner look and a much better instrument panel... but the ostentatiousness of the MarkIV has its own dated, cynically gaudy charm.

~~~~~~~

But apologies, and with sidetracks aside, I've really enjoyed this topic. Thanks to the OP and contributors for sharing info. I love industrial archaeology and history... it's such a fascinating topic and too easy to take for granted.

#85 3 years ago

Did you see the Bally Man could turn into the new "Where's Waldo?".

#86 3 years ago

MrBally -

I'm awestruck by your collection of Bally factory photos. I was a pinball collector who drove by the Belmont Avenue factory a million times, yet I never managed to snap a single photo. Would you care to share some personal history and how it was that you were so thorough in your documentation of the Bally site? Do you have photos of the other Chicago manufacturers?

Just curious, but in a major way.

#87 3 years ago

Read my profile story for some of your answers. I have a few pictures of Williams, Gottlieb and Chicago Coin. Somewhere. When I find them I will post them.

I also have some short 8mm and Super8 movie clips. I'll have to convert them to videos. Someday.

Most important are the memories of the time I spent in the Bally Belmont and Bensenville plants as well as their service parts warehouse on Rockwell & Belmont (SW corner).

#88 3 years ago

Very nice profile story; I started smiling two sentences into it and it gave me a warm feeling throughout. I hope you get busy with digitizing those 8mm movies. You have a lot of memories to share.

#89 3 years ago

Producing the Bally Man for gameroom decor sounds like a job for Laseriffic.

#90 3 years ago

This is from about 6 months ago, but extremely interesting

https://arcadeblogger.com/2016/05/13/arcade-factory/

However, not pinball related

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from fordtudoor:

I don't have any photographs of the old Bally factory but I do have a one hour plus video tape of the entire Bensenville plant. At the time Bally had a metal stamping facility called Diemasters and a cabinet, playfield, and backglass facility called Lenc Smith. The last machines through Bensenville (over by the airport) were Speakeasy, Baby PacMan, and BMX. The plant was being converted for use by Bally Gaming. You can see in the video concrete work getting ready for the printing presses. Pinball moved over to Midway in Franklin Park where the leisure division manufactured fitness equipment, plus any video games. I attended a couple of reunion lunches in the mid-80's and got to know many of the managers.

A couple photos of the 90 O'Leary Drive Bensenville Plant sign on Irving Park Road (Illinois Route 19). The Pinball Division sign is from 1981 and the repurposed Gaming Division sign photo which was taken in 1989. That's my late Dad in the Gaming Division sign pic; What a guy he was.

Bensenville 1981 (resized).jpg
    Bensenville 1989 (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #92 3 years ago

Bally Man project is underway. Took some pictures of aprons at my favorite arcade, PinballPA. Next was the pencil drawing.

IMG_20170110_151029 (resized).jpg

1 year later
    #93 2 years ago
    Quoted from JoeNewberry:

I have a co-worker that worked at Bally during this time period. I'd like to jog her memory of the place with some photos, but unlike Gottlieb, who has that whole tour photo set floating around, Bally seems to have no factory photos except a single one of the outside of the building. Does anyone out there happen to have any photos of the inside of the Bally plant?

I got ones from the inside of the factory

They were producing Eight Ball Deluxe.

ENjoy

21645_3949817357701_1185984153_n (resized).jpg

285253_3949818437728_1144209975_n (resized).jpg

558014_3949817757711_1460993327_n (resized).jpg

538361_3949818237723_938905212_n (resized).jpg

555938_3949817637708_343693240_n (resized).jpg

#94 2 years ago

The bump in the thread reminded me of something I just ran across the other day; The Bally Belmont plant, which had become Moloney Coachbuilders, was demolished in the mid '90's. I mentioned earlier that the Condo's that were going to go up on the site were going to be called "The Boatyard" as just North of the Bally plant was the Henry Grebe Shipyard. Here are copies of the site plan and the price list of the three offerings. The site drawing is odd in that the "top" of the drawing is East while North is on the left. You will note on the left is the Williams/WMS parking lot and Roscoe Street. This from 1998.

20180225_162910 1998 (resized).jpg
    20180225_161955 1998 (resized).jpg
    20180225_162938 1998 (resized).jpg

2 years later
    #95 7 months ago

The old Bally Bingo pin factory on Roscoe right across from Williams/United is now an Eye Care for Animals clinic.

20200229_150933 (resized).jpg
    #96 7 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

The old Bally Bingo pin factory on Roscoe right across from Williams/United is now an Eye Care for Animals clinic.[quoted image]

Bingo plant tour would have been fun.!

7 months later
    #97 10 days ago

Well, I'm in the process of purging things and found a few photos of the 90 O'Leary Drive plant in Bensenville under construction. These were taken by me in 1979. Note that there was no traffic light at the Irving Park Road/O'Leary Drive intersection back then.

You will also note lots of snow in the pics as Chicago was bombarded with over 80" of snow during the Winter of '78-'79.
    the last two photos show the completed building right after it opened for production. Note the HVAC units in position on the roof. In the snow picture they were placed close to the front of the building by a crane.

20201013_221335 (resized).jpg20201013_221348 (resized).jpg20201013_221447 (resized).jpg20201013_221509_001 (resized).jpg20201013_221806_001 (resized).jpg

#98 10 days ago

Those pictures are really cool, thanks for sharing. Sure wish i had that Bally sign to add to the collection of others, but it's probably gone forever I'm sure. Back then people didn't save stuff like that.

John

#99 8 days ago

Here's a few from 1981....

20201015_153853 (resized).jpg20201015_154055 (resized).jpg20201015_154111 (resized).jpg
    #100 8 days ago

What a shame, just part of a runway today. Just can't imagine all games that went out its doors...... those were the days!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 21.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 0.10
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Stuff
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 19.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 219.99
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Led
    B & K Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Rubber/Silicone
    Scandinavian Pinball
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside