(Topic ID: 51438)

Anyone have any tips for pulled up screw holes on old playfields?

By Gannicus

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by zr11990
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

A buddy of mine gave me a pretty beat up playfield to work on. I've got it cleaned up, and want to scan it before I get to work on it. Trouble is, where ever there was a hole for a screw in the playfield, it's raised, which is making it god near impossible for my wand scanner to roll across it and get an even scan.

How do I knock those "safely" back down flush with the playfield?

I've thought about cutting the wood with a dremel and a tiny bit, and also putting wood glue in the area, then clamping in with a c-clamp between two blocks of wood and some parchment paper...

Anyone have any thoughts?

#2 10 years ago

Use the butt end of the handle of a large screwdriver. Place it on the mound, quick tap with a small hammer on the tip. Et voila!

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Use the butt end of the handle of a large screwdriver. Place it on the mound, quick tap with a small hammer on the tip. Et voila!

That sounds more of what I was looking for. Superb. Thank you Pat.
    This is why I love this community. I must have sat around for HOURS staring at this thing. Thinking...what would be the easiest, and safest way to address this issue?

I would have never thought of that.

#4 10 years ago

As always try it first in a non-conspicuous area..

As with my luck you push down in one spot and half the playfield flies up and hits the ceiling fan which in turn shoots across the gameroom and takes out the backglass of a Fireball.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

As always try it first in a non-conspicuous area..
    As with my luck you push down in one spot and half the playfield flies up and hits the ceiling fan which in turn shoots across the gameroom and takes out the backglass of a Fireball.

I'm trying to hold it in...but while that sounds awful for you, the visual is hilarious as hell. =P

I'll put a piece of craft foam on the playfield before putting the handle on top of it...and I'll uhmmm strap the playfield down to my work bench first. haha

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Yes, and a nut driver is even easier to hit squarely.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gannicus:

That sounds more of what I was looking for. Superb. Thank you Pat.
    This is why I love this community. I must have sat around for HOURS staring at this thing. Thinking...what would be the easiest, and safest way to address this issue?
    I would have never thought of that.

You wouldn't have thought of simply banging it down flush? Even a rounded hammer face will do it directly. You can put a piece of cardboard or cloth over the raised hole first to protect the graphics. Do you own any tools?

Also, to repopulate, it's best to fill the hole with some wooden toothpicks dipped in white glue (just break the top end off above the pf) or, optionally, drill the hole through and use a long screw with a t-nut or regular nut and washer underneath the pf.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

You wouldn't have thought of simply banging it down flush? Even a rounded hammer face will do it directly. You can put a piece of cardboard or cloth over the raised hole first to protect the graphics. Do you own any tools?
    Also, to repopulate, it's best to fill the hole with some wooden toothpicks dipped in white glue (just break the top end off above the pf) or, optionally, drill the hole through and use a long screw with a t-nut or regular nut and washer underneath the pf.

Why would I want to fill the hole? These are holes for attaching playfield parts, and are needed.
    Besides, if I were going to fill holes, I'd be using dowels and a Japanese flush cutting saw to do the job right. Toothpicks? lol

#9 10 years ago

No, toothpicks are used. Say you are reinstalling a screw but it still turns freely all the way in.
    You place a toothpick in the screw hole so the screw has more wood to bite into.
    I use this technique all the time.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from pdman:

No, toothpicks are used. Say you are reinstalling a screw but it still turns freely all the way in.
    You place a toothpick in the screw hole so the screw has more wood to bite into.
    I use this technique all the time.

+1, same here. But to the OP, yeah no need of filling the holes in unless they are stripped because you will be using them again.

#11 10 years ago

For stripped out holes I cut pieces of zip ties to the depth of the hole put a small dab of wood glue and stick them in the hole. the nylon grabs on to the screw and gives a snug fit and you can take the screw out as many times as you want and it wont strip again. Obviously it will if you torque it down way to tight but we are talking realistic tightness here.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-have-any-tips-for-pulled-up-screw-holes-on-old-playfields and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.