4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200103_132141.jpg
    IMG_20200103_132137.jpg
    IMG_20200103_132128.jpg
    Screenshot_20190928-171136 (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Question does anyone have any experience using clear vinyl for playfield protection instead of clear coat?

If yes any suggestion for the material used and does it change game play?

Cheers,

Crunch

#2 4 years ago

I’m pretty sure TNT Amusements will hand paint touch ups on the playfield and then cover it with Mylar.

#3 4 years ago

This depends on what you mean by clear vinyl. There are "playfield protector" style harder plastic covers that cover the entire playfield, which some people swear by but I haven't used. I have used vinyl cling in high wear areas, as well as "low tack" mylar (which peels off easily). Both do the job of protecting the surface from scratches but will not stop a dimple (which always happens when a steel ball smashes clear coat through vinyl or mylar).

#4 4 years ago

Go to a sign shop and get some clear laminate. The stuff that they use on vinyl sign prints. I've used it over vinyl scans applied to playfields for art repairs. It's held up for years. And doesn't effect gameplay.

Similar to this, but industrial quality UV resistant and wide enough to cover an entire playfield.

I plan on using it over my next custom pins entire playfield.

Screenshot_20190928-171136 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190928-171136 (resized).png
    3 months later
    #5 4 years ago

I just finished printing my Firepower playfield directly onto the back side of 2mm Polycarbonate. The results are pretty amazing! I prepped my playfield by sanding it completely smooth, then removed all the inserts, then I put the hardtop I printed right onto the wood.

The polycarbonate is as thick as an insert, so no need for them anymore. I had a thought afterwards to remove the star-rollovers and just use hall effect sensors below the surface, but I had already cut the holes. Mistakes are the best teacher. )

IMG_20200103_132128.jpgIMG_20200103_132128.jpgIMG_20200103_132137.jpgIMG_20200103_132137.jpgIMG_20200103_132141.jpgIMG_20200103_132141.jpg
    #6 4 years ago

I own a printing company and have access to all kinds of cool stuff. I mostly use mylar but in the past have used what we call noodle which is a repositioning/removable vinyl decal. Works great and you can remove it anytime you want.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-have-any-experience-using-clear-vinyl-for-playfie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.