• Latest reply 5 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mad World C (resized).jpg
94a251-20140114-its-a-mad-mad-mad-mad-world-poster (resized).jpg
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

I like the quick drains down the middle that seemed to catch that one dude off guard. Welcome to our world.

#52 5 years ago

I tell you what, I wouldn't mind one in my collection, that's an interesting game!

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

Speaking of the pops... they seem to have their own ruleset, so to speak. The pops have an entire stepper unit to themselves. It looks like the alternator turns whatever pops are lit on and off, but hitting a lit pop moves the stepper and eventually another pop will light, and then the third. I think they will still cycle off and on with the alternator, but I am still experimenting. mjalexan, am I close?

That sounds right, on one side of the lights they are controlled by a thumper control relay switch, that relay is dependent on one 0-9 match unit disc and the thumper bumper control unit disc. This controls all of the 7 lights involved: 3 thumpers, 2 slings, and 2 specials. On the other side they are controlled by another 0-9 match unit disc. This disc has 3 lit positions and 4 unlit positions for the 7 lights. 1st lit position controls left thumper, right sling, and right special. 2 unlit. 2nd lit position controls center thumper. 3rd lit position controls right thumper, left sling, left special. then 2 unlit. this should be the sequence of lighting you see during play, after position 7 it individually lights the ABCD rollovers. After that, i THINK it cylces quickly through the 0-9 match lights. Not 100% on that.

what part are you referring to as the alternator?

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

what part are you referring to as the alternator?

Sorry, I mean the 0-9 match unit, which steps with every 1 point and alternates through the lighting sequence... Sorry for my inexact lingo.

For a simple looking game, there's a lot going on here.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I thought I noticed that on the C but then it was scoring again. I’ll check the switch and see if it needs an adjustment. The game is very fun. Hope to use it in a tournament next week.

Since the C lane scoring was sparoidic, it is probably just a dirty or slightly out of adjustment switch.

1 week later
#56 5 years ago

Ummm, not to assign homework to anyone, but would anyone volunteer to write up the "Multiball" feature discussed here? It seems that IPDB would like to have that documented.

"We are seeking a concise explanation of how the multiball feature works on a properly working Mad World game."

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1504&picno=13361

I do not know the gentleman who runs IPDB or I would just point him to this thread.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

I do not know the gentleman who runs IPDB or I would just point him to this thread.

IPDB's posting links have been missing for months. FWIW, here's their contact page
https://www.ipdb.org/contact.html

#58 5 years ago

In the spirit of doing something to help everyone, I will contact them. Let's see how I can help.

Thanks for the link!

1 month later
#59 5 years ago

I finally have my "Mad World" working properly, and I firmly believe that it's not meant to be "multi-ball" game. When the trapped ball is released into the shooter lane, you're too busy keeping the ball already in play from draining, so shooting the free ball into play just doesn't seem like what you would want to do. When the ball already in play drains, the player unit (ball count, or next player) does not advance until the "free" ball is played through. I'm going to try shooting it into play anyway, and see if it causes any issues with the ball count or trough gates losing track of ball count or control. BTW, my player unit not advancing issue was caused by a broken switch on the outhole relay. After the switch was repaired, the game played properly.

#60 5 years ago

Yeah, its more like winning a belated extra ball.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I finally have my "Mad World" working properly, and I firmly believe that it's not meant to be "multi-ball" game.

You are correct. The path to high scoring is to open the gate, trap a ball, move it down the lane and release it, playing the current ball for all it's worth until you drain, plunge the free ball, repeat still on same ball.

@jbovenzi's Mad World was quite popular at Cal Extreme. It's a great game for 2 players too, due to captured ball stealing.

#62 5 years ago

I did some final tweaks on my "Mad World" today, and it's looking good and playing great! There's one thing though that I find a little odd, and I'm not sure if it's normal. Maybe someone can check theirs for me. When the red "open free ball gate" lights are lit, and you make the "C" inlane, the gate opens, but that's all. No points are scored by rolling over the wireform. On subsequent balls, the "C" lane does nothing at all until you put a ball in the free ball lane. Then, it functions the same as the other inlanes, scoring 10 points, and enabling a "special" on one of the outlanes. I inspected all the switches involved, and they are fine. Would someone who has one of these up and running be able to check their game and report back to me? TIA.

#63 5 years ago

When i was playing Mad World at Clays VFW and the one brought to CAEX,
I also noticed that those lanes (C Lane in particular) sometimes scored pts and other times not
but unable to verify if was just dirty contact, or if just sparoidic,
Would have had to take PF glass off and play game by repeated pattern by hand scoring to prove if it was intended feature.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

When i was playing Mad World at Clays VFW and the one brought to CAEX,
I also noticed that those lanes sometimes scored pts and other times not
but unable to verify if was just dirty contact, or if just sparoidic,
Would have had to take PF glass off and play game by repeated pattern by hand scoring to prove if it was intended feature.

It's only the "C" inlane. This is the only one lit for opening the free ball gate. It does absolutely nothing if the gate has been opened, but a ball isn't present in the free ball lane. Seems odd to me, but I couldn't find anything obviously wrong.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I did some final tweaks on my "Mad World" today, and it's looking good and playing great! There's one thing though that I find a little odd, and I'm not sure if it's normal. Maybe someone can check theirs for me. When the red "open free ball gate" lights are lit, and you make the "C" inlane, the gate opens, but that's all. No points are scored by rolling over the wireform. On subsequent balls, the "C" lane does nothing at all until you put a ball in the free ball lane. Then, it functions the same as the other inlanes, scoring 10 points, and enabling a "special" on one of the outlanes. I inspected all the switches involved, and they are fine. Would someone who has one of these up and running be able to check their game and report back to me? TIA.

It would appear the top C rollover only scores ten points when the free ball relay is energized. Or do i have it backwards? Either way, scoring on that rollover lane is conditional to the free ball relay.

Mad World C (resized).jpgMad World C (resized).jpg
#66 5 years ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

It would appear the top C rollover only scores ten points when the free ball relay is energized. Or do i have it backwards? Either way, scoring on that rollover lane is conditional to the free ball relay.

This. No points for opening the gate. Once a ball is in there, C lane scores 10p.

#67 5 years ago

Thanks for checking, guys.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-have-a-working-mad-world/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.