(Topic ID: 16716)

Anyone have a small apartment with a machine in it?

By sixsixtie

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

photo.JPG
    DSC_3076.jpg
    DSC_3042.jpg
    IMAG0257.jpg
    IMAG0258.jpg
    gameroom3.jpg
    tales2.jpg
    tales1.jpg

#1 7 years ago

Obviously not a washing machine. My place is 600sqf. Now I know I could shoe horn a machine in here. But I live with my fiancée and she's one tough nut to crack. Granted our place is beautiful and it's her project she's made it a very, very nice apartment. She doesn't want a giant machine making an already small place seem even smaller. So right now my machine is at a friend's house. But as this hobby goes I already have another one lined up (POTO for a six pack can you believe that?) I have yet to see the other machine but I imagine it's going to be a fixer upper. I don't mind travelling to play but when I have to travel to put in a bunch of work it kind of sucks. I mean I enjoy working on them but if I'm gonna be driving a half hour I'd rather be playing you know. Any who was just asking if anyone had a machine in a small place and if so any pictures?

I believe these badboys are art and they are. But with a bed, a desk, a table, couches, and a tv 600sqf gets used up pretty fast and I definitely see her point.

#2 7 years ago

Iv got a 700 sqft apartment in Chicago, Iv been looking to buy a condo MUCH LARGER for awhile. Im in a similar situation as I keep my pins in my Loft office I share with friends. I will say its not a good idea especially if you are sharing space. I could squeeze one in here for sure, but it would be a tight fit and I just live here by myself.

Id suggest looking for a bigger place. I really want to throw my new Tron Pro in here. But I just can't do it. Also, consider that its very noisy in a small space too.

#3 7 years ago

Dude, I can post some pics, but it would be pretty embarrassing. I have a 550 sq. ft. place with no couch, no TV, no washer/dryer, but 4 pins. Have to move some more stuff around to fit I500, which is moving in shortly.

#4 7 years ago

I want pics no matter what lol! And Drstark. Can't really look for a new place just bought this place a year ago. Gonna need to tough it out here for another couple years for sure.

#5 7 years ago

~890 SF third floor condo, and I have 2. It really depends on your floor plan. My living room is really open, so it wasn't an issue getting two in there.

If I were crazy, I could swap my bed over to the guest bedroom and turn the master bedroom into an arcade and probably get 3-4 more in there...

#6 7 years ago

Sounds like it would not be a good idea to be tearing apart and fixing up old pinball machines in her/your nice little apartment. Playing noisy pinball machines may make things worse if girlfriend and/or neighbors next to you are not into pinball. Perhaps work out a deal w/ a friend who has space in an extra room, basement, or workshop. No comment if she fusses about you spending a lot of free time over at your friends house messin w/ pinball.

#7 7 years ago

Yeah that's the set up I have now pinballisgreat. They're at a buddies place. But I live in the city and he's about 30 min away with decent traffic. Also Twitch the difference between 900 and 600 is huge, 50% more. If we had almost 900 it would be no problem getting at least one in.

#8 7 years ago

Had a pinball machine in the apartment during college.
    That's different, no one expects a normal apartment then
    Plus it was all guys as roommates.

#9 7 years ago

I have a small apartment and I've utilized the dining room area, it place is laid out like back entrance, kitchen/bedroom (very cramped kitchen), bathroom/fridge area (where I store lots of cases of beer, could potentially be turned into a one pin area), then the dining room, then the living room/front door. I don't think I could fit anything in the living room, but I do think I could fit 5, maybe more pins in the dining room. We never used it for dining anyway. I don't consider the place large, but it does have high celings, which is a huge plus.

So if any of ya need to store another machine or two.. My place is fine for that! I can get rid of that dining room table! End tables are better anyway.

#10 7 years ago

Back when I started collecting (nearly 20 years ago). I had a rather small apartment. It was around 500 sq ft. I don't think I would have been able to have pinballs in it if I had a wife or live in girlfriend. One pin fit nicely in the bedroom without too much being put out of place but my other two took up the most of the living room. I just had room for love seat table and tv in addition to the pinballs. Very crowded but I loved it - sorry no pics.

#11 7 years ago

500 sqft can definitely hold a pin or two but not with a SO. Maybe move them in when you're ready to break up?

#12 7 years ago

You made the mistake of letting her think the whole place was hers to decorate. So no you need your own space so it doesnt hurt your relationship IMO. Get rid of bulky funiture like a computer desk and find another alterative for that. You need to get 1 pin at least in your place if you love the hobbie and she loves you she should understand. If not then you should run for the hills. Im not one to let someone run my life. I consider myself the "KING OF THE CASTLE" and if they dont like it....see ya. Yes im divorced @35. Was married <3y.

#13 7 years ago

I have a 1000sq ft. apt. It's really just one big open room. I feel like 2 is pushing it even in that sized apartment. Any more and I just don't think it would be aesthetically pleasing. The down side too is that the only obvious place for them is next to the windows and a radiator. Its a north facing window, so not a lot of direct sunlight. Plus I keep the shades drawn all day. I'm keeping the fingers crossed that I won't get fading. Thinking about tinting the windows or something. Not sure what I'm going to do about the radiator in the winter....make some kind of heat shield? I dunno.

As far as noise goes, I try not to play after 9 PM to respect the neighbors. I also have thick brick walls though, and I'm on the top floor. The only person to annoy is below me. To appease the SO, I try to limit my playing to when she isn't home or when she isn't doing anything that requires silence (in shower, making dinner, etc.). I don't play if she wants to read or watch tv or something.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Get rid of bulky funiture like a computer desk and find another alterative for that.

If I could get rid of my desk I would. But I work from home 70% of the time so I can't not have a computer setup.

#15 7 years ago

20 years ago I had 3 pins in the bedroom of a small 1 bedroom apt. When each one came in I had to get rid of a piece of bedroom furniture. It did get a little old waking up staring at coin doors after a while, but it was so cool I didnt mind

1 week later
    #16 7 years ago

Yeah, its mandatory that you have to in a bachelor's pad. pics taken with the PDI glass on it.

#17 7 years ago

Post edited by Donnyman : pics not loading High End Restoration tales1.jpg tales2.jpg

#18 7 years ago

I feel for your neighbors.

#19 7 years ago

I just got my first machine - a JP - in my little 700 sq ft 1 bedroom. Upstairs too! We actually have a nice little nook in the corner that had my desktop and I just moved that out of the way. I can probably fit two in there (already working on that with the girlfriend). I turned off the shaker and lowered the volume and it's really not a big deal. I'm sure the downstairs neighbors aren't thrilled about it but I'm not thrilled about their dog that barks all day, so we're even!

#20 7 years ago

I lived for many years on a 1 bedroom apartment (about 50 sq. meters), and had a T2 on the living room, next to a couch.
    After a couple of years I changed T2 for a TAF, and used the same spot.

a couple of pics:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/5820_127877884448_7982499_n.jpg
    http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/5820_127878604448_657284448_2164328_2642591_n.jpg

regards,
    Buk

#21 7 years ago

It can be done. Do you both like pinball alot? If you love pinball enough you can get creative.
    I have seen them in every room of a house except a bathroom and I am sure someone has done that in the past also. I had two in my 1000 sq ft place but alot bigger than yours.

#22 7 years ago

I've always been proud of my little 10x9 2nd bedroom gameroom in my condo. While the lineup isn't current any longer, the setup is the same. I think my condo is around 900 sq/ft.

gameroom3.jpg

#23 7 years ago

You guys are starting to make me re-think the assumption that my condo is too small for a pinball machine! I don't know if that's a bad influence or a good influence.

Noise is something I never considered. They have volume controls I assume? How quiet can you make them?

#24 7 years ago

Come on Alex, where are you man?

#25 7 years ago

I have mine in the corner of my 500 sqft apartment. As long as you put it in a corner I think you will be fine...

#26 7 years ago

I moved with my gf at the beginning of the year into a house from a 550 sq ft apartment. I was convinced that the dining room table was useless, and thus room for a single game, she was not. But she wanted a dog and was convinced that 550 sq ft was big enough, and I was not. Now we have a house with a yard and a full basement and two machines and one puppy later, we're both happier for it.

Moral is, you probably do have just enough space, but you won't be happy if she isn't.

#27 7 years ago

I have crammed by beloved IJ into the living room of my 3rd floor apartment. I went for a very old-world feel for everything else in the apt. Old paintings. Half-polished brass. A whip. Machetes...etc.

It's not really an eye-sore in context of everything around it.

Turn that puppy on at night and it's like adding candlelight to the room.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

... you won't be happy if she isn't.

That advice is worth more than all the A-list titles combined...

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Dude, I can post some pics, but it would be pretty embarrassing. I have a 550 sq. ft. place with no couch, no TV, no washer/dryer, but 4 pins. Have to move some more stuff around to fit I500, which is moving in shortly.

You, sir, are truly dedicated! I would need a couch at least. And maybe have to hang a flatscreen on the wall...

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from sixsixtie:

My place is 600sqf. Now I know I could shoe horn a machine in here. But I live with my fiancée and she's one tough nut to crack.

I'm going to give you some advice, and you can do with it as you will.

If you live in an apartment, you should be looking to buy a house/condo rather than spend money on a pinball machine. Interest rates and prices are low, this is your chance to get a home...save your $ for the down payment.

Robert

#31 7 years ago

I have plenty of room for a machine or two but I'm worried that the flippers and the pop bumpers are going to be too noisy for the neighbors. Anyone ever have anyone complain? Get a machine without bumpers?

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Natetheviking:

I have plenty of room for a machine or two but I'm worried that the flippers and the pop bumpers are going to be too noisy for the neighbors. Anyone ever have anyone complain? Get a machine without bumpers?

Im surprised I havent heard from my down stairs neighbor from the pro speakers and sub installed. Maybe there is that much foundation where its all good.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

sixsixtie said:My place is 600sqf. Now I know I could shoe horn a machine in here. But I live with my fiancée and she's one tough nut to crack.

I'm going to give you some advice, and you can do with it as you will.
    If you live in an apartment, you should be looking to buy a house/condo rather than spend money on a pinball machine.

Ty but we own the place we have and in Vancouver it's quite a bit to ask for much more. My little apartment was $330,000 when we got it IDK what it is now. But that's more than enough to buy a small house in most places.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

You, sir, are truly dedicated! I would need a couch at least. [] And maybe have to hang a flatscreen on the wall...

You might as well call it a storage unit at this point. 5 pins, plus I'm holding/selling a nice desk and chair for a friend. I've moved my crappier furniture and other stuff out to my deck for the time being.

#35 7 years ago

Here's my apartment, now there is a bedroom and a small hallway area that has a washing machine and that leads to the bathroom. This is of course, the main area.

In the bedroom there is a 4'x3' billiard table that I plan to replace sometime with another pinball.

Place may not be the biggest, but it's in a great location and affordable and actually for me it's the perfect size cozy but not crowded.

IMAG0258.jpg IMAG0257.jpg

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from shadowflame:

Here's my apartment, now there is a bedroom and a small hallway area that has a washing machine and that leads to the bathroom.

One suggestion:

http://www.homesteadmaid.com/

Robert

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

shadowflame said:Here's my apartment, now there is a bedroom and a small hallway area that has a washing machine and that leads to the bathroom.
    One suggestion:
    http://www.homesteadmaid.com/
    Robert

#38 7 years ago

1000 sq feet apartment and 4 pins in the dedicated pin/bar area
    You can do it!
    I'd have 6+ pins in there if I didn't want to stay married

Noise has never been an issue with my neighbors.
    I cut up a thick rubber mat and doubled it up under each foot.

DSC_3042.jpg DSC_3076.jpg

#39 7 years ago

LOL! it's really not messy, it's just the way it looks in the picture it makes the tables look cluttered. They are home to an Atari 2600 & Colecovision, while underneath is a Intellivison and a Xbox 360. The shelves closest to the machine have games on them and the other has movies on it.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from flippman:

1000 sq feet apartment and 4 pins in the dedicated pin/bar area
    You can do it!

that's a pretty awesome setup for a 1000 sq/ft apartment!!! Nice work.

#41 7 years ago

This fits pretty nicely in my apartment

photo.JPG

#42 7 years ago

Not a bad way to be greeted when you walk in the door if you ask me.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I've always been proud of my little 10x9 2nd bedroom gameroom in my condo. While the lineup isn't current any longer, the setup is the same. I think my condo is around 900 sq/ft.

Attachments gameroom3.jpg (83.4 KB, 0 downloads) 4 days old

The pins in that room are worth more than my condo. Almost.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 1,400.00
    $ 23.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 35.00
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.99
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.50
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 14.95
    Various Novelties
    Allteksystems
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside