(Topic ID: 103380)

Anyone have a PinBot sound board cap diagram?

By jmountjoy111

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I am looking for a diagram that shows what caps goes where. I need to know the proper sizes that were used on the game. I believe some of mine have been changed. If you've got one or you can just give me a list of the proper caps and board locations I would appreciate it.

Thanks

#2 9 years ago

Page 40 of the manual.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Page 40 of the manual.

Thanks. I went through that manual and for some reason missed that page everytime. I have a printed pdf manual. I bet I am missing that page. I have it now thanks a ton as always.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Thanks. I went through that manual and for some reason missed that page everytime. I have a printed pdf manual. I bet I am missing that page. I have it now thanks a ton as always.

No problem. I am at work and looked it up, the .pdf on IPDB looks a bit fuzzy. I would have to check if I have the printed manual and if it is any better than the online scan.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

No problem. I am at work and looked it up, the .pdf on IPDB looks a bit fuzzy. I would have to check if I have the printed manual and if it is any better than the online scan.

Hey, I iam going to recap the board to try and get this awful loud hum out of the game. Do I need to just replace the electrolytic caps or all of them? There appears to be about 30 other tantalum caps on there as well. I know when Ed at Great Plains sells a cap kit for a sound board he usually just has the electrolytic caps (unfortunately there is no kit for system 11).

#6 9 years ago

Just the electrolytic caps, they are the ones that 'dry out' and fail over time. Not saying that a tantalum cap cannot be the problem, but shotgun recapping that is typically just the electrolytic caps.

#8 9 years ago

Could be a bad electrolytic cap though I doubt it. Doesn't hurt to replace them but don't expect it to solve your hum (some hum is normal on Sys11 BTW). Heat kills electrolytic caps, not age.

The other caps marked as "B" in the schematic are bypass, or decoupling capacitors. Those also are not likely the source of your hum.

More likely suspects are wiring, connections and the amps.

viperrwk

#9 9 years ago

While you have the bonnet up it wouldnt hurt to make sure all the mounting screws are in the boards as well and that the earth pin on the power cord is in place. It probably wont help the hum but its good to do it.

#10 9 years ago

I appreciate all the help. I know a lot of old system 11s have hum but this is a not normal hum that happened all of a sudden to a game that had no hum at all.

I have checked all grounds, tried floating the board, unhooked cables, recapped the power supply, and have hopefully narrowed it down to the sound board.

I reflowed all the caps on the board just out of curiosity to see if maybe there was a bad joint. The hum decreased but did not go away. I figured since caps are super cheap that I would just go ahead and recap the sound board as we'll and see if it would take it out.

#11 9 years ago

One or more of the 'lytics could be bad, but you have to ask the question why doesn't Ed or Todd have a cap kit for Sys11 sound? I'm guessing because there isn't much demand to replace the caps on these boards. So be prepared if after you do so the hum is still there.

You may also want to try disconnecting each channel and see if the hum is more prevalent on one or the other. That may further help you figure out where it's coming from.

viperrwk

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

One or more of the 'lytics could be bad, but you have to ask the question why doesn't Ed or Todd have a cap kit for Sys11 sound? I'm guessing because there isn't much demand to replace the caps on these boards. So be prepared if after you do so the hum is still there.
You may also want to try disconnecting each channel and see if the hum is more prevalent on one or the other. That may further help you figure out where it's coming from.
viperrwk

Good point.

I will check each channel as well. thanks.

#13 9 years ago

its MONO so only 1 channel..all speakers are wired together. Check where your sound board wires are run as well. I have seen wires next to the sound board cause minor hum by being next to speaker wires ribbon cable etc. Try wiggling wires near it with the game on. CAREFULLY lol

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

its MONO so only 1 channel..all speakers are wired together. Check where your sound board wires are run as well. I have seen wires next to the sound board cause minor hum by being next to speaker wires ribbon cable etc. Try wiggling wires near it with the game on. CAREFULLY lol

You're right of course. I should have said "speaker" since channel infers stereo. And I did not ask whether this was a one speaker Pinbot or two, which if the former, definitely would have made no sense.

viperrwk

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

You're right of course. I should have said "speaker" since channel infers stereo. And I did not ask whether this was a one speaker Pinbot or two, which if the former, definitely would have made no sense.
viperrwk

Same sound through both the back box and the cabinet speakers.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Heat kills electrolytic caps, not age.

Age plus heat kills caps. Even at room temp - they do age and dry out. The hotter the cap, the faster it dries out.

But to answer the other poster's question regarding why GPE doesn't carry System 11 caps... answer = "time".
It's on my list of kits to carry but just never got there yet.

If you have a nice, 60hz hum -- do as the others mentioned and check grounds, connections and cable routing.
Dried out caps in a sound section (the smallest caps seem to go first) often result in diminished volume. Of course, it depends on which specific cap goes bad, though.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Age plus heat kills caps. Even at room temp - they do age and dry out. The hotter the cap, the faster it dries out.
But to answer the other poster's question regarding why GPE doesn't carry System 11 caps... answer = "time".
If you have a nice, 60hz hum -- do as the others mentioned and check grounds, connections and cable routing.
Dried out caps in a sound section (the smallest caps seem to go first) often result in diminished volume. Of course, it depends on which specific cap goes bad, though.

I appreciate the help. I ordered the caps anyways just because they are so cheap so why not just go ahead and replace them. I am going to pull the game out this Friday and go back over and check all of the grounds and the wiring placement. It has to be something simple that I am just missing. I will post back with updates

#18 9 years ago

I had hum on my f-14 and it turned out to be that the wire feeding the volume pot was too close to one of the coils. For some reason it must've been inducing a hum into the audio circuit through that path.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I appreciate the help. I ordered the caps anyways just because they are so cheap so why not just go ahead and replace them. I am going to pull the game out this Friday and go back over and check all of the grounds and the wiring placement. It has to be something simple that I am just missing. I will post back with updates

Speaking of simple things to check, often sound hum problem in pins is the result of a "ground loop" condition. Opposite of making certain the sound board is firmy grounded to the chassis with metal screws, removing and insulating the sound board from the mounting points often reduces hum considerably, even though this would seem a counterproductive thing to do.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I had hum on my f-14 and it turned out to be that the wire feeding the volume pot was too close to one of the coils. For some reason it must've been inducing a hum into the audio circuit through that path.

And this ^ check your audio cable routings, making sure they are away from high power sources such as power cables, transformers, DMDs and displays, etc..

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Ed - you're smarter than me and know a HELL of a lot more about electronics than me. Curious your thoughts about two things:

1 - ageing and reforming of capacitors: http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc3104/m2/1/high_res_d/thesis.pdf

2 - if I have a 25-year old electrolytic that tests with appropriate ESR, should I replace it anyway?

viperrwk

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

often sound hum problem in pins is the result of a "ground loop"

In audio equipment, this is almost always the case. In a well designed circuit, externally injected noise shouldn't be much problem- not that it can't be in practice.

Quoted from G-P-E:

often result in diminished volume.

and/ or high frequency noise.

Quoted from viperrwk:

25-year old electrolytic that tests with appropriate ESR, should I replace it anyway?

I think this depends on several things: size/ cost, difficulty in changing later, time you expect to own item/ purpose for being in there in the first place, and possibly most important, the possible consequences to other parts of the circuit should it fail. IOW, if the transistor that's going to die as a result is NLA, and not easily substituted (think germanium) then definitely.

For the most part, they're virtually free for smaller values. If it's already out to test, why not just replace? It's 25 years old, and old electrolytic WILL fail. A $50 power supply cap is another story.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Speaking of simple things to check, often sound hum problem in pins is the result of a "ground loop" condition. Opposite of making certain the sound board is firmy grounded to the chassis with metal screws, removing and insulating the sound board from the mounting points often reduces hum considerably, even though this would seem a counterproductive thing to do.

I tried the floating board where it was completely unhooked from the back box and it did not change the sound.

Quoted from Deez:

I have ran it with the volume pot completely unhooked from the board and it also continued to make the sound.

Are there any other simple solutions that I could check that I might have missed?

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Curious your thoughts about two things:
1 - ageing and reforming of capacitors: http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc3104/m2/1/high_res_d/thesis.pdf
2 - if I have a 25-year old electrolytic that tests with appropriate ESR, should I replace it anyway?
viperrwk

1 - I have done reforming of older caps before. Never with cheap caps but I have done this with computer grade pricey caps. It does work. Always be careful of using older caps, particularly high capacitance ones. If they aren't reformed, it is possible that they will look like a dead short to the power supply and take something out... including the cap itself.

2 - Depends on specific cap and where used. As mentioned by Pin-groom -- don't worry the small stuff, just replace it and be done. Some older computer grade caps that are lightly used (think Wms ~27000uF caps) -- if they're good, leave them alone.

#25 9 years ago

Does your power cord still have all 3 prongs on it?

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Does your power cord still have all 3 prongs on it?

it does have three prongs on it still. However, it is one of those round replacement plugs. I will double check the ground on it today as it could have been pulled loose during the plugging in and unplugging of the game.

#27 9 years ago

Here's a good and not too lengthy article that fairly well describes the relationship between safety (earth) ground and ground loop problems.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug06/articles/qa0806_4.htm

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

... including the cap itself.

This is something you don't want to experience unless you do it on purpose, I assure you!

I almost shit my pants.

I was testing an older DC/AC inverter that had been donated to a local Scout troop when out of nowhere...BOOM! There was "confetti" and metal slivers everywhere.

The cap was the only problem. Replaced it and she was up and running.

Lessons learned- always photograph, sketch, or have schematics before applying full power, and wear safety glasses when working on electronics. (You already knew the last one, but do you really do it?)

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from PIN_GROOM:

This is something you don't want to experience unless you do it on purpose, I assure you!
I almost shit my pants.
I was testing an older DC/AC inverter that had been donated to a local Scout troop when out of nowhere...BOOM! There was "confetti" and metal slivers everywhere.
The cap was the only problem. Replaced it and she was up and running.
Lessons learned- always photograph, sketch, or have schematics before applying full power, and wear safety glasses when working on electronics. (You already knew the last one, but do you really do it?)

Been there, done that. Almost went into shock. World got grey and distant for a few minutes.....

#30 9 years ago

Got the Caps in from Great Plains this afternoon. Recapped the sound board. Super awful loud hum is completely gone. Thanks guys for all of your help. Thanks Ed for the high quality caps with lightening fast shipping. Its time to give old PinBot sight once again!!! Just planned out the rest of my Saturday evening. Hahaha

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-have-a-pinbot-sound-board-cap-diagram and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.