(Topic ID: 316739)

Anyone have a guess what this mod was supposed to do?

By paulace

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by DaMoib
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e extra relay (resized).jpg
e more lamp cord (resized).jpg
e lamp cord to outhole switch (resized).jpg
e extra outhole switch (resized).jpg
Top Card mods (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

I recently acquired a Gottlieb "Top Card" that someone had modded. I don't know anything about the history of the machine. It had all sorts of problems to begin with, so I went through all the switches, removing each stack, cleaning/gapping, etc. After getting the steppers moving smoothly, it all pretty much worked.

But it had some extra parts: Someone had put an extra relay down on the bottom board (looks like a Williams relay), put an extra n/o switch on the outhole, and connected some of the wires with a nice little 2-connector Jones plug. It was all nicely done, but I can't figure out what he was trying to achieve.

Here's a pic of the extra relay in there. The wires with the connectors on the ends go to the n/o switch on the relay - they're just hanging out there - weren't connected to anything when I got the machine, so I don't know where he had them hooked in.
e extra relay (resized).jpge extra relay (resized).jpg

Here's more lamp cord - showing a connection across the n/o side of a m/b switch on the S relay, then through the Jones plug. The other side is going up the underside of the pf to the extra outhole switch that he put in.
e more lamp cord (resized).jpge more lamp cord (resized).jpg

The underside of the pf with the nice brown lamp cord:
e lamp cord to outhole switch (resized).jpge lamp cord to outhole switch (resized).jpg

The extra outhole switch:
e extra outhole switch (resized).jpge extra outhole switch (resized).jpg

So I traced the wires and it looks like this is what he did (except for the 2 unconnected wires which were across the n/o switch on the extra relay) - the added stuff is in red:
Top Card mods (resized).JPGTop Card mods (resized).JPG

So, does anyone have any ideas what he was trying to achieve with this. He knew enough to install a new relay, Jones plug, switch, staple the lamp cord pretty neatly to the underside of the pf, and his soldering wasn't terrible.

By the way, I tore it all out (well, unsoldered it), and the machine works perfectly. I'm just curious what he was trying to achieve. Maybe it's unanswerable with those 2 leads from the relay switch not connected to anything, but if anyone has an idea, let me know.

#2 1 year ago

Looks like some nice work.
zacaj any clues?

#3 1 year ago

If I’m reading the red modification correctly they wanted to turn the game counter into a ball counter?

#4 1 year ago

The mod with the Outhole switch looks like it changes the Hold relay behavior so that a tilt only costs you a ball and not the whole game. The other one may have been a relay to fire something that counts the number of times the 2nd chute was used.

/Mark

#5 1 year ago

The first is definitely a "tilt doesn't lose game" fix. The second is a free play hack - when the play meter pulses, W fires, credit unit subtracts 1 and adds some number of games depending on the 2nd chute adj. Not sure what happens if up and down coils fire together...

The additional relay and wiring looks like an initial [aborted] attempt at one of the changes above -or- the beginnings of his next feature!

Edit - Just looked at the timing with 2nd chute adj on 2, the credit down fires on Motor 2C and credit up on the 4th Motor 1A pulse.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-have-a-guess-what-this-mod-was-supposed-to-do?hl=carlo45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.