Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wdennie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I got this machine and it was randomly scoring points when it was hit and the upper left ball kicker was engaging for about a minute when it was initially turned on. I started going thru the machine and saw there was a wire with an alligator clip from the credits button to the ground strap in the game. Is this some kind of cheater device??? No idea WTH??? I removed it and it fixed the machine.

#2 5 years ago

I repair medical equipment. I once took apart a device and found a safety circuit bypassed with an alligator clip. Not sure if it was forgotten or there to make something work as a repair. Point is, people do dumb crap.

#3 5 years ago

I’m quickly learning that... not this first stupid thing I’ve seen. Keeps prices down.

#4 5 years ago

I don’t get how just a simple credit button attached the grounding braid can somehow make the machine score points like crazy? Very weird and seems pointless... or pointful?

#5 5 years ago

One of the craziest hacks I have seen was done by a guy who according to his daughter repaired pinball machines as a part time business before he passed away. He couldn't get a machine to start a game after coining it up so he drilled a hole in the side of the cabinet and had a string attached to a relay. She proudly showed me this machine that her dad fixed up for her a few years earlier. She said "all you have to do to start the game is pull the string hanging out of the side of the cabinet"!

I am just glad I was not one of his customers!

#6 5 years ago

We tend to carry an electrical charge on us that’s different from the ground potential on the machine. Sometimes it’s enough to affect electronics. I’ve seen when debugging stuff that if I’m touching the metal rails or front panel it can trigger stuff . Depending on what part of the credit button it was touching and if it was also touching the face place you may have been sending enough random noise into the ground signal and that lets one of the transistors fire.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I don’t get how just a simple credit button attached the grounding braid can somehow make the machine score points like crazy? Very weird and seems pointless... or pointful?

to make it free play, problem is it needed a diode so it wouldn't mess the switch matrix.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Tools
Pincoder Store

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-have-a-clue-why?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.