11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Heretic_9
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 months ago

What is the current total number of ranked players worldwide, that IFPA tracks ?
    I seem to recall a # like ~ 36,000 (?), which would have been from years ago.
    Even if correct, surely that number would be substantially larger by now ?
    (Is there a single link that pulls all that up ?)
    I already know where to find the info on applicable tourneys in which I have participated . . .

#2 11 months ago

Player numbers are up to 80 or 90k last I checked

#4 11 months ago

Thanks all for those answers.

Follow-on question: Aren't the rankings using something like a logarithmic progression ? That is to say, with a BIG relative difference in standing, over and above the at-first-glance disparity of -- say -- 500 points in the ranking, between any two players ?

#5 11 months ago

Additional data point: 24,750 players played in an event last year.

I don’t understand your rankings question. Details on World Pinball Player Rankings are at https://www.ifpapinball.com/menu/ranking-info-2/

#6 11 months ago

The ranking "points" distribution was more bunched up before this year when all the "certified" and other "bonus" multipliers became both larger and more common. There's also inflation in the overall points for the same reason. I keep an archive of the top 500 rankings and this is the first time that it's ever been this way. There's some but not absolute logic behind the system; it's what Josh & company have chosen to use, it's been changed MANY times, and it's different than the rankings in any other sport both in terms of formulas and what events count towards it. Pieces of the system use some elements similar to other sports, but the whole is unique.

#7 11 months ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Additional data point: 24,750 players played in an event last year.
    I don’t understand your rankings question. Details on World Pinball Player Rankings are at https://www.ifpapinball.com/menu/ranking-info-2/

I'll check that link, thanks.

What I was getting at was a (possible) numerical progression along the lines of the Richter Scale, where -- for example -- a 4.6 looks to be not that much stronger than a 4.2, though in fact represents a huge difference. But Bob's comment suggests that it's a lot more complicated than that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-happen-to-know-this-ifpa-stat- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.