(Topic ID: 177406)

Anyone gotten their Spirit/Black Hole motor Rebuilt?

By zacaj

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by swanng
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Finally got the spinning disk motor on my Spirit working today, but had to disconnect it right after, it was so loud I couldn't hear the sounds at all. I found a few people online saying that they sent their motor to PBR and got it rebuilt, but it sounds a bit expensive, so if it's still going to be audible afterwards I probably won't bother. I've never seen another Spirit with a working motor, so not sure what they're supposed to sound like

#3 7 years ago

I had my Spirit motor rebuilt by Pinball Resource. It was around $100 and I got it back before a week was up. My motor was so loud that I had to keep it disconnected and now it isn't inaudible but it's not loud.

#4 7 years ago

It is a rather loud motor but definitely not so loud that it drowns out the sounds of the machine.

Here is a video of some gameplay on mine, might give you some idea of the motor volume for perspective.

#5 7 years ago

Don't think that will work for Spirit? They use a different motor and voltage

#6 7 years ago

Spirit uses a motor combined with a gearbox as a reducer, which is where the noise comes from. My spirit has a new motor and still has noise from the gears.

Black hole uses a super low rpm motor direct with no gears, like 3 rpm, so it is very quiet.

3 weeks later
#7 7 years ago

I coated all the gears in the gearboxes of my Black Hole and Spirit with molybdenum disulfide. Neither of them make any noise that can be discerned over normal game operation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-gotten-their-spiritblack-hole-motor-rebuilt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.