6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ChoppaCade
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

eDXrk3QhiYRo-f5Tyx21DA663277.jpg

#1 6 years ago

There has been a lot of talk about 3d printers lately in the news, I was wondering if anyone has started making spare parts for pinball machines using a 3d printer?
    It would be perfect making reproduction plastics.
    I am sure in 5 - 10 years time it would be the norm to print out your own replacement parts at home.

#2 6 years ago

My Christmas present to myself this year is either a 3d printer or a pin. Haven't decided yet.

I'm only looking at the entry level printers around 2k.

#3 6 years ago

They have released one in the UK for £700 ($1080 US) I am sure the price will go down in the coming future. Could be a good business idea to produce plastics for pins? Until everyone else thinks of the same idea

#4 6 years ago

I think 3d printing could be the way forward when it comes to replacing broken/missing plastics. It's great for producing solid, single coloured plastic parts. I'm currently running some experiments to try and reproduce clear, transparent plastics for my JD without much luck so far, but this thread has a couple of examples...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jd-pursuit-plastics

#5 6 years ago

Good luck with the transparent plastics Jalapeno, would be good fun to play around with and even do some other parts, one comes to mind the fangs for the Snake on Metallica. Endless possibilities. I will wait until the price comes down a bit more and technology advances to add colors when printing etc.

#6 6 years ago

I'd think there was no such thing as see through and 3d printing. At least, not yet.

#7 6 years ago

Yeah, everything I've seen so far is opaque to a certain degree. Nature of the beast, really, considering how these things are "printed" one tiny layer at a time. To be completely clear, it'd take some sort of reheating process when the piece is finished printing.

I think it's easier to get things laser cut for simple, flat playfield plastics. The more complex stuff.....that's another story.

#8 6 years ago

I think the possibilities are almost endless for this type of technology to be applied to pinball modifications...

Just with my STTNG alone I can think of things I would do... new Borg ship.. new Klingon Bird of Prey..etc.

#9 6 years ago

I wouldn't even mess with one under at least $5000. We have one of these at work:http://cubify.com/cubex/, and it is pretty much useless. I wish we could return it and get a better one. The resolution looks nothing like the pictures. I am guessing closer to $10000 would get something decent. If this one was good, I would have bought one for home. I am going to wait for the technology to advance quite a bit more before I try to buy one. I would definitely buy a pin with the money for now.

#10 6 years ago

This one http://formlabs.com/ prints crystal clear. My buddy just bought one.

#11 6 years ago

Regardless of price, resolution seems to be exactly the same on all 3D printers. More money gets you faster printing, a heated working surface, a water soluble structural membrane (very cool), and a larger printing surface, but not higher resolution. It is still very early days on these.
    Scott

#12 6 years ago

3D printers are the bee's knees when it comes to prototyping. I could also see them being very useful in making "unobtainium" parts like the Pinbot spiral ramp. What that really takes is not some magical Star Trek scanning but a someone with CAD experience and the actual part willing to make a model.

One of these days, when I finally have the time, I'm going to finish my 3D model for a TOM trunk that won't break after 3 days like they normally do.

#13 6 years ago

Actually got to see one at work at San Diego Comic Con a few weeks ago. I need to upload the video I took to D/M.

#14 6 years ago

Cheers ChoppaCade! I think there's a 3d printer in development at the moment that can handle 2 colours so it'll be interesting to see how things evolve and how quickly the tech becomes readily affordable for the home market as opposed to industry.

A friend of mine at work printed a bust of himself created using a 3d scanner, so perhaps CAD skills will be less important as that technology advances too; unless you're creating original/custom parts.

It would be great to see an online database of printable replacement parts & mods by pin in the next few years!

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I'd think there was no such thing as see through and 3d printing. At least, not yet.

I have transparent in my Connex 500.
    eDXrk3QhiYRo-f5Tyx21DA663277.jpg

Here's the inserts for Forbidden Planet.

#16 6 years ago

Wow. Those look to have a much better finish than the parts I've been trying to produce for JD. What type of plastic are you using?

#17 6 years ago

I am using a 3d printer. What you are using is a FDM machine (despite what they call it). You won't get the high resolution that you will with a 3D printer (your layers are probably 0.1mm as opposed to 0.03mm of this)
    This is a UV cured resin called VeroClear.

#18 6 years ago

once they get to a professional level of detail, I plan on printing out an entire re-pro BBB, playfield sorted, cabinet art sorted.. it will be like pinballs version of the '29 crash.

#20 6 years ago

Looking really good Epotech, the first time I heard about the 3d printer I immediately thought of pinball plastics and mod parts, but I couldn't really see myself using one for anything else?
    If I could think of enough other reasons I could probably talk myself into getting one at some stage.

#21 6 years ago

Next year the patents expire on some of the better 3D printing technology, so we'll start seeing lower priced versions instead of the FDM process we have now.

I've got two 3D printers, a makerbot and a prusa. If you really dial them in you can get some nice layer resolution, but still nothing like the more expensive machines that use a different process.

I've printed some flippers on it without any issues.

#22 6 years ago

pkiefert, what model makerbot do you have?

I've been deciding between the MakerBot Replicator 2 or the Maker Gear M2.

The replicator 2 has 100 micron resolution, which is pretty good for an FDM machine.

#23 6 years ago

What the?

#24 6 years ago

I have a Thing-o-matic which was the model before the first replicator. This was back when they were still kits that you had to assemble yourself.

I'm glad I started with the makerbot though and then started building a reprap style machine like the prusa using the makerbot to build the parts. Starting with a full kit like the makerbot made it easier to understand and troubleshoot the additional machines I built.

BTW, if you decided to build your own reprap and need parts, let me know and I'll rip some out on my machines.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

I have a Thing-o-matic which was the model before the first replicator. This was back when they were still kits that you had to assemble yourself.

I'm glad I started with the makerbot though and then started building a reprap style machine like the prusa using the makerbot to build the parts. Starting with a full kit like the makerbot made it easier to understand and troubleshoot the additional machines I built.

BTW, if you decided to build your own reprap and need parts, let me know and I'll rip some out on my machines.

What the !!!!?

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

Cool, I may take you up on that. I was ready to pull the trigger on the thing-o-matic right about the time I started hearing rumors about the Replicator, so i held off. Same thing happened when I was about to pull the trigger on the replicator, with the replicator 2.

I'm nervous about grabbing even the replicator 2 since its already been out a while. I'm expecting something really neat later this year or next year at E3.

#27 6 years ago

hows the 3D printers on Youtube ?! Dudes are 'printing' guns ?! What is the ink made out of??

#28 6 years ago

No printer, but I own shares of 3D printer companies. Oh yea!

#29 6 years ago

Home 3D printing will be the rage of the next generation!

You are seeing the beginnings of a change as radical as home laser or inkjet printers.
    (Download and print on demand files for lots of things! You wont need to learn anything)

If you dont have one, but want to learn CAD software, you can print cost effectively at www.shapeways.com

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from DirtyDeeds:

What is the ink made out of??

Currently I can print in ABS and PLA. ABS is what Legos are made out of. PLA is a more environmental friendly plastic.

In general the parts can be very strong if designed and printed properly. But because it's built layer by layer like a very precise hot glue gun, it sometimes can be fragile on some of the layers.

I think in the next 2 years we'll see another surge of new 3D printer technology hitting the homes.

My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I think in 10-15 years many households may have something like this.

There is something that is common place in many homes today that also started out as a kit built by hobbyists. The personal computer. I think this has a 75% chance to become something as common as a computer in the next decade or two. I could go on and on about why, and the impact it may have on manufacturing and retailing, but that might take a while.

And let me be blunt. Home 3D printing technology isn't mature enough at the moment. It's still more a maker/hacker type tool used for prototyping or making silly little plastic items. But as it evolves where it requires less tinkering and is as easy to use as our inkjet or laser printers of today it will start making more headway into less geeky homes.

#31 6 years ago

I've had an amazing short-term business idea for 3D printers for a while now, if anyone wants to be the backer.

It'll make us filthy rich, but have to do it soon before these things are mainstream.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from epotech:

I have transparent in my Connex 500.

Here's the inserts for Forbidden Planet.

That's the Lamborghini for sure. What business are you in that you use that for?

#33 6 years ago

Here are a few objects people have shared on Thingiverse related to pinball.

http://www.thingiverse.com/search/basic?q=pinball

I've printed the flipper and it looks nice enough, but I don't have any gotleib machines to try it on.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

Here are a few objects people have shared on Thingiverse related to pinball.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/search/basic?q=pinball
    I've printed the flipper and it looks nice enough, but I don't have any gotleib machines to try it on.

Great to see that there is a 3d printer community showing off their skills already

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 8.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 24.00
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 9.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    Twilight Zone Sticker Out of stock
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 190.00
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 170.96
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside