(Topic ID: 61781)

Anyone going to York this year? On the fence....

By NJGecko

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Last year wife and I went to york and were pretty disappointed. Had planned for a fun weekend of PINBALL! But the reality was that after about 2 hours we were done. Many parking lot deals. Many machines that were there on opening morning started to leave by lunchtime.
    It's a good 3 hours, which translates to not a one-day trip.
    It's the only regional pinball show until Allentown, and it's got a flea market....

Who is going this year?

#2 10 years ago

I usually attend to drop off and pick up machines that I have bought and sold. It is about a 3 hour drive each way. If you are going to just play machines, it probably isn't worth the trip. The flea market is very small. I still like going to see the people that I know in the hobby. If you are looking to buy something, you never know what will turn up. I found some nice games over the years.

#3 10 years ago

After attending Allentown this year it made York too far of a drive. If York was the bigger better show I'd consider it...

#4 10 years ago

Its under new management this year. Let's hope they try and up the game a bit. Its a 6hr drive for me. I am not planning on going unless I make a deal on a pin I can't pass up.

#5 10 years ago

Never been, but my wife and I are planning to go on Saturday and meeting friends there too.

Not sure what to expect, but I miss the NJ arcade auctions I used to attend in the late 90s and early 2000s when I was big into collecting.

#6 10 years ago

FB chatter has it sounding like the vendor spots are all but gone. I like York because of its laid back feel but I am guilty of not bringing games so have a hard time complaining about a lack of pins to play.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

After attending Allentown this year it made York too far of a drive. If York was the bigger better show I'd consider it...

What he said...

#8 10 years ago

I love York to catch up with old friends and to drop off and pick up parts and machines but I have never brought a machine to the show (for the show) because I can't stay all day either day.

I have missed two out of the last three Allentown shows but have never missed a York show since I have been in the hobby. I like the smaller and more laid back feeling of York.

If you go to York expecting Allentown you will be disappointed but if you go to York to play a few machines, to talk to a few old friends & maybe meet a few new pinheads, and just enjoy it for what it is I think you will find it to be a great show.

I'll be there at least one of the two days and might even try to get there both days.

#9 10 years ago

Thinking right now about going out late Thursday, catching a hotel, going to the show Saturday, then heading back to NJ whenever Saturday afternoon.

#10 10 years ago

I plan on giving it one more try, last year was my first York show. I brought a machine last year for free play. I enjoyed watching people play and compliment it. My buddy and I worked hard on it to get it playing real nice and in a week or so, this years machine I'm taking will be ready as well. It's fun and like everybody has said, new promoters this year so hopefully more games and more enthusiasts!

#11 10 years ago

Allentown has just upped my expectations too much that I'm not bothering with York anymore. York is also a farther drive for me too.

#12 10 years ago

We are heading out for both days. I'll be bringing a machine or two. This will be our first York show. Couldn't make it out to Allentown this year

#13 10 years ago

I was fully intending on going but conflicts with Endless Summer Cruisin' in OC, Md ( http://specialeventpro.com/endless.php ) this year so won't be able to make it. Bummed, but it is what it is.

#15 10 years ago

York is 30 minute drive for me so im in, and will probly bring a game to show off and a game to sell! The new management are friends of mine and would like a good turnout! I would just go to show support for the pinball hobby. It is still fun for me, looking forward to a great weekend!

#16 10 years ago

Yep, my girlfriend and I are planning to go both days, and are excited about it as this will be my first show. She went to college in York, so even if we get bored/tired, which I doubt very seriously, there is plenty for us to do there. I am looking forward to meeting up with friends, talking and playing pinball, looking for parts on the cheap (without shipping), such as glass for cabinet, and other misc. items. We also plan to play any tournaments, which we have never done before either. Should be great! If I would happen to find a pin to buy that I can't live without even better.

#17 10 years ago

I'm attending on Saturday. It's just over an hour away and the only chance for me to play a bunch of machines in one place.

#18 10 years ago

My husband and I are planning on going Friday. Leaving our daughter home this year. Her highlight of the show last year was attending the cat show next door. Looking forward to playing some pins I have never play before and shopping.

#19 10 years ago

With Expo the following week, I can only go to one. Can't miss expo with so much to do there.

#20 10 years ago

I'm going to go again this year with lower expectations. Hopefully the new management will make it better than last year. Although I have to say last year the venue was pretty full. It's just an adjustment of expectations compared to Allentown... Besides, it's the only other show between now and next May that's close enough that I'm aware of.

#21 10 years ago

There are two different spreadsheets - the "official" one linked from the show's FB page is at :
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al0yeNsJ-qMqdFFOaFhzQlRRX1Q4dVg1WXl0U1lLZEE#gid=0

Who is hosting the first (and longer) one? Seems like they need to consolidate?

#22 10 years ago

No idea who is hosting the other one. I think it was posted on RGP, and yea, it's definitely got some more life in it!

#23 10 years ago

Just gave in and booked a room, so the gecko and Mrs. Gecko will be attending Friday!

#24 10 years ago

The more people who show up and the more and better machines everyone brings the better the show will be.

It is so funny with people - the promoters running a show don't make the show the people attending are who make a show great or make a show suck. If a promoter advertises a show, provides a clean & safe location, etc. he has done his job. Machines at the show are outside his or their control (the people attending bring the machines).

If we all work together we can make York into a great show but if everyone does nothing and expects Brandon to pull a rabbit out of his hat the show will not be as good as it could or should have been.

I love York for what it is - no it isn't Allentown - but to me Allentown is a little too busy and big. York just seems like a great fitting old pair of shoes - nothing special but it just feels good!

Just my 2 cents on this subject!

#25 10 years ago

The cat show is the weekend before the pinball show this year. Damn! It was my first cat show. It was kinda neat. I was hoping that it would be there again next to the show this year.

#26 10 years ago

Which day is the "big" day at York? I was planning to go on Saturday and hoping to pick up a table, but if all the good stuff is gone by then, I'll go a day early. It'll be my first pinball show.

#27 10 years ago

I normally go Friday but new stuff comes in Saturday morning and also towards the end of the show you will likely get better deals on machines people don't want to take back home.

Some people will tell you Friday others might say Saturday but to me any day with a pinball show in it is a great day!

#28 10 years ago

I was told by Brandon that a Hobbit white wood may be there and that there are a ton of new vendors. We shall see. I have higher hopes than I did last year.

#29 10 years ago

I don't know Brandon real well but I know he has really tried with his arcade and keeps putting a lot of effort into that. Hopefully some of that energy has also gone into the York Show. I know he has a partner for the York Show but I don't remember the other guys name and I don't think I have ever met him.

Only time will tell but bringing great machines will help to make it a show to remember!

#30 10 years ago

I'm one of the new vendors, Starship Fantasy. It will be my first time at the York show.

#31 10 years ago

I plan to be there Saturday with my family. It's a great, relaxed show, and we always have fun.

#32 10 years ago

I am thinking about bringing my WWF Royal Rumble to the York show. Anyone want to play it?!

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I am thinking about bringing my WWF Royal Rumble to the York show. Anyone want to play it?!

Would love to play it, I'm a huge wrestling fan.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from lrosent345:

I'm one of the new vendors, Starship Fantasy. It will be my first time at the York show.

what to do you sell?

#35 10 years ago

I like that game a lot. And I'm not usually a fan of games with mini playfields.

#36 10 years ago

Quoted from PoMC:

Would love to play it, I'm a huge wrestling fan.

I would love to play it too as I am a big "old school" wrestling fan and have never seen or played this pin.

#37 10 years ago

Maybe I should just have you guys over too as you are local...any interest?

#38 10 years ago

sure, although I am actually a little over an hour away, which probably isn't much in "pin" miles, is it? Thanks for the offer, btw

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from Vladtheimpaler-8:

sure, although I am actually a little over an hour away, which probably isn't much in "pin" miles, is it? Thanks for the offer, btw

I commute into Reston every day so in commuter terms you are in my range . I am serious about a get together for locals either before or at White Rose. Will check my calendar. Friday nights and Saturdays are best for me.

#40 10 years ago

If I still have POTC I may go with it. I've never been to a show before, sounds like fun.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

If I still have POTC I may go with it. I've never been to a show before, sounds like fun.

Would love to play this machine. I went last year for the first time but did not bring a machine. This year I am planning on going both days and bringing a machine.

What else are people thinking about bringing???

#42 10 years ago

Probably won't make it to Expo, so this is on my list.

#43 10 years ago

I commute into Reston every day so in commuter terms you are in my range . I am serious about a get together for locals either before or at White Rose. Will check my calendar. Friday nights and Saturdays are best for me.

Not sure of my availability before White Rose as I am pretty booked, but for future reference, Saturdays are typically best for me. There is much less traffic, and I know you know what I mean if you are commuting from Reston. Definitely would be cool to meet any locals going to White Rose though. That's a great idea!

#44 10 years ago

I just saw this thread. I'm the other organizer of the show. We are almost full with the indoor vendor spots. Some new vendors this year along with many of the long time vendors returning.
    We are working on a complete list of confirmed vendors that will be posted by the end of the week.

I can't improve upon what Too-Many-Pins has already typed as it 100% accurate. Brandon and I have put a lot of work into the show already but the success of the show is entirely up to the people bringing games and the attendees at the show.

Quoted from too-many-pins:

The more people who show up and the more and better machines everyone brings the better the show will be.

It is so funny with people - the promoters running a show don't make the show the people attending are who make a show great or make a show suck. If a promoter advertises a show, provides a clean & safe location, etc. he has done his job. Machines at the show are outside his or their control (the people attending bring the machines).

If we all work together we can make York into a great show but if everyone does nothing and expects Brandon to pull a rabbit out of his hat the show will not be as good as it could or should have been.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions about the show, please contact myself or Brandon.

Rich

#45 10 years ago

Rich

Sorry I couldn't remember your name but I am sure you guys will do great. I'll be there Friday and I'll try to find you and Brandon to say hello. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you guys. I don't have a lot of time this year but would be more than happy to help any way I can.

#46 10 years ago

I am going all Friday and part of Saturday, as I have the last several years. Hope to have a game ready to bring again. A 2 hour drive for me is a no brainer - totally worth it and I would probably drive upwards of 6 hours for the show if I lived elsewhere.

#47 10 years ago

Sure, would be fun to hang out and play and then we could come play at my house some time too.

#48 10 years ago

What's White Rose?

Never mind, just googled....didn't know the name of the York venue.

#49 10 years ago

I'm in.
    going early Friday looking for a good deal
    Then probably back on Saturday with the family
    this will be my 3rd year going.very laid back
    show and cool people=good times!
    If you are on the fence,GO
    You'll have fun

#50 10 years ago

Hi everyone - If you are "on the fence" about this show please go & better yet bring a nice game or two along. New promoters hopefully will give York some added energy this year. And I am hoping 2014 will be even better once they have the first year bugs worked out.

Also - please be kind to the guys this year. This is their first attempt at making a good show even better. Hopefully it stays similar to the York Show most of us love with that nice relaxed feel. Only time will tell!

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-going-to-york-this-year-on-the-fence/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.