(Topic ID: 321071)

Anyone going to try the relaunched MoviePass?

By parsonsaj

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Anyone going to try the relaunched MoviePass?”

• Nope would not touch it with a 10 foot pole 15 votes
      83%
    • Yep what could it hurt! 3 votes
      17%

(18 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Nope. Invested in a home theater / projector setup which has led to watching a majority of movies at home. I still enjoying going to the movies on occasion but cannot stand how many rude people there are at the theater nowadays with being on cell phones, talking, etc. Also I'm completely burned out on Marvel movies which seem to make up 50% of major theatrical releases.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you're a AAA member, they offer discounted movie tickets.
    https://www.ace.aaa.com/discounts/category/movie-tickets.html
    I rarely go to the theater (heck, I haven't been to one since early-2019). When I do go, I usually go on an off-night (like a Tuesday) when there aren't so many people.
    While the big screen is nice, I prefer the comforts and convenience of my own setup.

Quoted from acedanger:

IMO movies go to streaming apps within a month or two so I'll just stick with Disney Plus & Hulu package, HBO Max & Amazon.

I totally agree with these sentiments. Two big issues - idiots in theaters, and the ability to watch movies at home on 4K TVs. Sure, its not the same as a giant screen with blasting sound, but then there is the third big issue - new movies almost all suck and the whole Hollywood thing might be dying a slow death before our eyes. Top Gun Maverick, a somewhat dumb yet massively entertaining throwback film may be the last good one we'll ever see. Even before the pandemic, I was going to the theater once or twice a year, and those trips were usually disappointing, unless it was a QT movie. And, I don't even care that it cost something like $24 to see Top Gun at the IMAX, and a small popcorn and drink was $20 or whatever. That's fine, I'm happy to pay for the privilege of being happily entertained. Just not for the 412th Marvel or DC or Star Wars piece of junk.

Someday I will publish my treatise about movies where I discuss how the film Sucker Punch defined the apex of great entertainment, and it has all gone downhill from there.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:Yeah…I haven’t been to a theater in a LONG time….my wife and I did go see TG Maverick but I can’t remember the last movie I saw in a Theater…might have been Knives Out. There are just no GOOD movies we HAVE to see. And usually within 1-2 months they are already streaming so we can just watch at home. And my wife and I find most movies just suck…very few we are interested in watching a second time and most are so bad we simply agree “there went 2 hours I can’t get back”.
    I share the same sentiment as many others…. With big screen TV’s I am not missing that much. Before the age of big screen TV’s it was worthwhile but not anymore IMO.

Is Knives Out any good? Might have to try that one.

I just noticed last night that Top Gun Maverick popped onto my streaming box, to purchase 4K viewing for $19.95. I believe its Amazon Prime Video.

Also, besides having a nice 4K TV, I also have a pretty good sound 5.1 sound setup with Klipsch speakers, so if I feel like blasting it I can get a pretty good experience. I like to play the IMAX intro video that I downloaded somewhere for visitors before we watch a movie, dim the lights and crank up the sound. What's not to like?

- All the popcorn and snacks you want without having to take out a second mortgage to buy them

- Pause anytime for snacks, bathroom breaks, etc

- You can directly yell at any idiots in your house if they talk, look at their phone, etc, or even kick them out if you have to

- You can rewind when someone talks over the important dialog, or just rewind to watch a cool part again

- If you are the victim of a suckass movie, just shut it down and crank up another one, or watch one of your favorites again

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-going-to-try-the-relaunched-moviepass?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.