(Topic ID: 261842)

Anyone going to see Roger Waters this year ?

By jhanley

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Who is going?

#2 4 years ago

He’s the current representative of Pink Floyd and the caretaker of one of rock’s most amazing catalogues so yes I will likely see a show at Madison square garden.

He has promised it will be even “more political” but at this point I didn’t think anybody who goes to see him should be surprised. If you don’t want to hear it you should stay home rather than complain about it, just like I’m never gonna waste 20 bucks going to see Ted Nugent even though I like cat scratch fever and great white buffalo.

I wonder what kind of theatrics he’ll have as it’s an “in the round” show which doesn’t seem to lend itself to his usual spectacle. But I’m sure there will be some cool surprises.

#3 4 years ago

David Gilmour is much better to see live, but sadly he only rarely does shows/tours.

Water's is still good to see for the spectacle though. I also appreciate his stance on Palestinian human rights.

#4 4 years ago

Dave is semi retired so it’s kind of moot. Don’t expect to see him on the road again and he’s certainly not touring this summer.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He’s the current representative of Pink Floyd and the caretaker of one of rock’s most amazing catalogues so yes I will likely see a show at Madison square garden.
    He has promised it will be even “more political” but at this point I didn’t think anybody who goes to see him should be surprised. If you don’t want to hear it you should stay home.
    I wonder what kind of theatrics he’ll have as it’s an “in the round” show which doesn’t seem to lend itself to his usual spectacle. But I’m sure there will be some cool surprises.

You make a good point about his politics. How could anybody go to one of his concerts and be surprised by what he stands for. He's very outspoken about it.

#6 4 years ago

Also caught Nick Mason last year and was blown away. Dude still has it, and was amazing to see all the early material and deep cuts live. Hope he comes back around.

#7 4 years ago

Not me. Saw them all on the original Wall tour and that was boring enough. Animals last good Pink Floyd album for me.

#8 4 years ago

No, I got my Pink Floyd live fix back on the MLOR and DB tours... seen them 3 times without RW. I gave up on RW with Final Cut and TATPACOHH. No need to see a live political action campaign with a semi floyd soundtrack. Not my cup of tea.

#9 4 years ago

I am more of a Gilmour fan myself. I wouldn't mind seeing Rogers - but frankly I can't take much of the 'in your face' political stuff in concerts (from either side of the isle). So I don't plan on seeing him.

That said, Pink Floyd is my favorite band of all time. I also think Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, and A Momentary Lapse of Reason are my top Pink Floyd albums.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

No, I got my Pink Floyd live fix back on the MLOR and DB tours... seen them 3 times without RW. I gave up on RW with Final Cut and TATPACOHH. No need to see a live political action campaign with a semi floyd soundtrack. Not my cup of tea.

Agree + 1000

Also, Division Bell came out my senior year of college - and I like that album too. But it is just out of my top 5.

#11 4 years ago

I saw the Us and Them Roger Waters tour 2 years ago. Not going again. Would love to see David Gilmour and I do believe he is planning a tour again.

If Waters is bringing back The Wall then yes i would go again.

#12 4 years ago

Bigger Gilmour fan but have seen Waters numerous times as well. Went to the US & THEM Tour and was disappointed with the band and the two female backup singers were not good. Also, not to mention Waters use of tracks (aka lip syncing).

The tour coming up is In the Round so would be interesting to see what he does with that. As for his political views, since the late 70's he's hated every US president and criticizes everything the US Government does but yet lives in the States to avoid the high cost of taxes in EU. He's certainly one of those folks that thinks he's right about everything and pushes his views onto others.

#13 4 years ago

I would not be able to stand listening to him rant like I give a crap about his political beliefs. I pay you to entertain me and pay a LOT not for that crap. No matter if they match what I think or not.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from valgalder:

Also caught Nick Mason last year and was blown away. Dude still has it, and was amazing to see all the early material and deep cuts live. Hope he comes back around.

I saw that show also, great hearing those old obscure songs, awesome show. And Roger dropped by for "Set the Controls."

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Paul1478:

I would not be able to stand listening to him rant like I give a crap about his political beliefs. I pay you to entertain me and pay a LOT not for that crap. No matter if they match what I think or not.

I don't know if you've seen his show, but he doesn't "rant". He does very little talking between songs. I'd just say if you're a Trump guy, maybe stay home. There were lots of not so complementary Trump visuals in the last tour.

I have seen him several times. Always a great show. It was great to get some Animals material last time. I also got to see Gilmour a few years ago in Chicago. His voice and guitar playing is still as good as ever.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I am more of a Gilmour fan

Agree +1000

There are some good guitar leads on Final Cut, but not enough to save the album from Roger. I have, and always will be a Gilmore Floyd fan. However, Gilmore solo has been hit or miss, with too much of his wife’s poetry involved. The album Profiles by Mason & Fenn is a hidden gem in my book.

I have owned DSOTM on vinyl, 8 track, cassette, CD, gold CD, mp3, but now listen to it on Amazon music. But arguably my favorite albums include it and WYWH, Animals, Meddle, Wall, MLOR, and Division Bell. The rest of the catalog has a lot of good music, but all my fav Floyd tunes are on those 7 albums. As a guitarist, i have always enjoyed Gilmore’s minimalistic approach to it. He always claimed that he was not that good of a lead gutarist and used all kinds of tricks to fill out his sound, yet those “tricks” actually make learning his riffs harder to mimic. He has a way with a Strat, and a lap steel like no other guitarist.

#17 4 years ago

Like the music but too political for me.

#18 4 years ago

I probably rather see Brit Floyd at the Chicago Theater end of march. I've seen Roger Waters 3 times.

The latest was the Wall concert at the United Center. Prior to that Summerfest in Milwaukee outside at Marcus theater, and prior to that many, many years ago at Poplar Creek in Hoffman Estates.

#19 4 years ago

have seen him a few years back, boring show. Gilmore makes the show.

#20 4 years ago

For anyone on the Fence about going, this is what you're in store for:
    https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/pink-floyd-roger-waters-donald-trump-tyrand-mass-murderer

Irony of this is .... I look at Trump as a person that, not looking at him as a president but a person, is never wrong. In his mind he's always right at no matter what! Roger Waters is the same in that aspect as he's never wrong about anything and if you don't agree with his viewpoint you're wrong. So one can say he and Trump are alike in one aspect. "the lunaticS are on the grass...."

Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

have seen him a few years back, boring show. Gilmore makes the show.

I've seen both and will say I do like David more BUT David and Roger together were a great team. Without each other David lacks in lyrics and Waters lacks in music.

#21 4 years ago

You guys really love when gilmour tours every 10 years and forces his entire terrible new album on you? Rattle that lock baby!

Roger’s all Floyd all the time except for
    Like 2 solo tunes set is certainly better, as are his theatrics and staging.

Love hearing Dave Play and sing. But as I’ve said he isn’t touring and roger is, so I guess have a good time not seeing either?

#22 4 years ago

No, saw the wall, dark side of the moon and wish you were here tour, great shows. Not into the political twist.

#23 4 years ago

Performers should perform. I'm disappointed enough that he spews caustic politics. It's quite a turn off to his performing.

In St. Louis, we have a PF tribute band, El Monstero, that performs twice/year...once in summer...once at Christmas. Great show. Hi fidelity to originally released tracks. No politics. Pure PF goodness. I missed ever seeing the original PF live. El Monstero is as good as it will ever get for me. Maybe Australian PF. I hear they are good too.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#24 4 years ago

I think we should all just be grateful any of them still play, considering their age and wealth.
    I like Rogers and Gilmour, and both have incredibly thoughtful things to say about being a poet in society.

I DON'T see how a Pink Floyd pinball machine would make sense given their catalogue, but shine on y'all

#25 4 years ago

given they are better as a team, but the political shit is disgusting at a concert. a good concert should be a journey away from your worries and problems.... for at least 2 hrs.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-going-to-see-roger-waters-this-year-?hl=gs2019 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.